The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Did Benning/Canucks win trade deadline day?

Glory_Days

Did Canucks & Benning win trade deadline?  

276 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The difference between this year and last - he was dealing two heart and soul players who had good seasons and were in demand whereas last year he was trying to deal a broken faced Hamhuis who wasnt terribly enthused to move coming out injury and about to have a child, and a lame duck Vrbata who couldn't care less about playoff hockey - who went on to willfully sign with a bottom feeder/the league's worst team despite being an aging veteran.  To each their own.

Nice job by JB this year though, but he had a great deal more to work with.

Dealing Miller would have been the cherry but judging by what Bishop returned the market for goaltenders was as soft as usual.

It was a bit of a perfect storm as well. The team was hammered with injuries as usual, but performed well, showed a lot of heart and played the game for the most part as it should be played.  They hung around despite having not a lot of business  being in the playoff race, but the mumps episode really put a nail in it - that sucks, but the timing of it if it had to happen, wasn't all that bad.

No shame.

The team had a decent season all things considered and were able to do what's necessary while maintaining every intention of competing as hard as they could.

All in all a lot of positive signs and an honest fallng out of the race, unlike some pathetic intentional tank shows of recent years.

Really happy with the season on a lot of levels and think the team is well positioned moving forward despite some big veteran shoes to fill.

2 hours ago, Toni Zamboni said:

im happy with us keeping Millsy....not only has he been great but we got excellent return for burr and hanny...so did we win?, from a nux fan perspective... we did Real Gud!

I never wanted us to sign Miller.  Wanted us to fortify our D at that time.  

I have to admit I enjoy watching Miller.  So quick!  He also grew on me when he skipped immediately into the fray. As Matt Martin jumped Troy Stecher.

If we sign him now, don't we have to expose Markstrom? 

13 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I never wanted us to sign Miller.  Wanted us to fortify our D at that time.  

I have to admit I enjoy watching Miller.  So quick!  He also grew on me when he skipped immediately into the fray. As Matt Martin jumped Troy Stecher.

If we sign him now, don't we have to expose Markstrom? 

I can't imagine them signing him before the e draft.

They have Bachman to expose.... Although with Sbisa's emergence and the perennial devaluation of goaltenders perhaps it wouldn't be such a terrible idea to expose Markstrom - maybe not out of the question after all.

IMO, the biggest win was moving another NTC and contract off the table. Hate to see a player like Hansen go but we can now take another step forward away from 2011. And we got a young former 1st rounder and possibly a 1st if the Sharks win the Cup. 

We got Dahlen for Burrows and took another step forward away from 2011. Hate to see a player like Burrows leave but it had to happen. And we have reason to be excited about Dahlen.

Two more of the old core out, two young guys in. We didn't turn over picks in the process.

I thought the easier deals would be Burrows and Miller simply from contract status and stability for a contender. Was thinking it would be nice if we could move Hansen but didn't expect that to come together.

So ...

"Two outta three ain't bad."

-- Meatloaf

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

They have Bachman to expose.... Although with Sbisa's emergence and the perennial devaluation of goaltenders perhaps it wouldn't be such a terrible idea to expose Markstrom - maybe not out of the question after all.

Be good to make Miller feel wanted anyway. Yes, I agree, most likely after ED.

But being a bit silly, I also wonder if Miller would not mind a Vegas gig?  It's awfully close to LA... Sign him so Miller has the security of a contract.  But still protect Marky...  It might save us Sbisa & everyone would be happy?

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Be good to make Miller feel wanted anyway. Yes, I agree, most likely after ED.

But being a bit silly, I also wonder if Miller would not mind a Vegas gig?  It's awfully close to LA... Sign him so Miller has the security of a contract.  But still protect Marky...  It might save us Sbisa & everyone would be happy?

I can't imagine him agreeing to that.  He seems to like winning and doesn't have endless years left.

Just now, oldnews said:

I can't imagine him agreeing to that.  He seems to like winning and doesn't have endless years left.

Yes probably just chatter.  No doubt they want to keep him if they can. And he would be smart to keep his options open till July 1 as well. It could not hurt for him to have a standing offer in his back pocket though. Good for all parties.

Don't know how many places he can sign next year where he can expect to be a winner. Dallas? 

Then in comes the fluff media:

"Farhan Lalji says the Canucks are finally adding young pieces, including wingers and potential scorers, but now need to get a bit bigger and tougher to play against."

Canucks pick up physical players -- "yeah, but they need more skill".

Canucks pick up skilled players -- "yeah, but they need more size".

Always finding or making up faults or drama.  Eternal complaining is simply a way of life for them and their parroting listeners, feeding off one another.

3 hours ago, RogersTowell said:

I'm not giddy over the TDL moves, but I'm not really upset either.  We lost some significant assets in Burrows and especially in Hansen.  Both are two way players that are all about hard work.  Hansen could have been our #4 scorer if he'd stayed healthy and is a very solid two way player.  He'd have been a pricey signing to renew his contract, though, so that dilutes his value somewhat.  Burrows is similar but to a lesser extent, being near the end of his serviceable career.

The prospects we received in return are just that - prospects.  It's like receiving McCann back in a trade.  He might pan out, or he might not.  Hansen was a bona fide top 6 player.  I'd say to win these trades, both prospects need to develop into solid top six players.  So I'm 60% happy with how things worked out.  I sure hope both the players we received (and the conditional 4th/1st) pan out in the end, that would be a big win.

No no noway Hanson is top 6 maybe on our team but not on a contender, maybe a top 9 @ best

11 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Then in comes the fluff media:

Canucks pick up physical players -- "yeah, but they need more skill".

Canucks pick up skilled players -- "yeah, but they need more size".

Always finding or making up faults or drama.  Eternal complaining is simply a way of life for them and their parroting listeners, feeding off one another.

Look, he's not wrong.

Our biggest top 6 forward, without the group being exceptionally fast, was Hansen at around 195lbs.  I guess Horvat, in spite of any labelling, really is top 6 at around 220.  But we're not at all big in any conversation up front.  Nor do we play a heavy game. And we just traded two of our three best checkers.  I stated in a thread before the deadline that I believe the management group knows that > we're led to believe they were in on Brouwer and Lucic. We do need to do what we got started on with our D group last summer.

Lets just say we're exceptionally keen that Jake works out. Disappointed that Etem did not. And more grunt up front can certainly be something on our bucket list? 

46 minutes ago, oldnews said:

One goalie can be protected.  Miller is a UFA and may get an offer elsewhere he won't refuse.  Offers won't be signed until after the expansion draft most likely for most UFAs.  I don't think Vancouver has anything to worry about though..For example so far Pit has no takers for Fluery whom they have to protect leaving Murray exposed who would be snapped up by Vegas in instant before anything we have to offer even if Miller is under contract with us by then.  Other quality starters are available too.  Vancouver has no goalies in the top twenty-five as far as fantasy relevance which is also an indication Vegas won't pick one of ours.  Benning improved our expansion effort by trading Hansen and Burrows too ( not resigning Burrows).  Vegas won't get a quality piece from Vancouver.  

6 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

No no noway Hanson is top 6 maybe on our team but not on a contender, maybe a top 9 @ best

Yep.  Bottom six on deep teams although he has shown he can work with skilled players too.  Probably on the third line in San Jose but might get a shot with Couture some pundits are saying.

2 hours ago, cbdoubleu said:

Exceeded my expectations by a mile for what he got for Burrows, even if Dahlen is a bit of a pipe-dream prospect. I was expecting a conditional 4th or 5th.

For Hansen I think Benning got exactly what I was expecting: a team's 3rd or 4th best prospect and a pick. Very happy that that happened to be Goldobin. Great potential. The 20% salary retention stings a bit, and a 4th round pick is kind of a throwaway pick, but I guess with the quality of prospect it's justified. Of course if by some fluke the Sharks win the cup, a 30th overall pick in a weak draft is nothing the Sharks will lose sleep over.

Definitely an A- draft day, and if either of these prospects pan out, it's an easy A+.

Goldobin was rated the Sharks #2 prospect expected to be a 1st line player with 70-80 point potential, I'd say thats a win for JB and the Canucks. Who care about the 20% and if the draft pick turns into a 1st rounder then its a bonus

4 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Look, he's not wrong.

Our biggest top 6 forward, without the group being exceptionally fast, was Hansen at around 195lbs.  I guess Horvat, in spite of any labelling, really is top 6 at around 220.  But we're not at all big in any conversation up front.  Nor do we play a heavy game. And we just traded two of our three best checkers.  I stated in a thread before the deadline that I believe the management group knows that > we're led to believe they were in on Brouwer and Lucic. We do need to do what we got started on with our D group last summer.

Lets just say we're exceptionally keen that Jake works out. Disappointed that Etem did not. And more grunt up front can certainly be something on our bucket list? 

At least our D went from small ( tiny really) to larger this year with Tryamkin and Guddy.  Once he's healthy we should have a very big guy on the ice almost every shift.  Horvat is a tank and if Virtanen figured things out we will have an even bigger tank up front.  Things are definitely moving in the right direction size wise for the team especially considering the trend is towards smaller more skilled guys overall.

2 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

Ray Ferrarro just called the Canucks his TDL winner on the TSN post TDL wrap up panel discussion.

Who cares what Ray says along with all his Toronto Maple Leafs fan club.

Archived