The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] If San Jose win the Cup...

As we all know, as part of the Hansen trade, we get SJ's 4th round pick - unless of course they win it all, when we take their 1st, the 31st overall pick.

If that comes to pass, I propose the following:

To COL: 31st overall, Canucks 2017 2nd (~35th overall), Tortorella pick from Columbus, Virtanen

To VAN: Landeskog

This would leave the Canucks with the following future forward core, all drafted since our trip to the Finals 6 years ago: Horvat, Landeskog, Baertschi, Boeser, Gaudette, Gaunce, Granlund, Goldobin, Dahlen and whoever we take at the top end of this year's draft (unless it's Liljegren, in which case our defence becomes stacked with high end prospects). Definitely the makings of two if not three high end scoring lines there.

How about this. Patrick and Hischier are going to go 1 and 2 and Canucks are likely finishing in the number 3 spot which also means we might get bumped down to 4 or 5 again. If that's the case, package that 31st pick, and even the Columbus 2nd of need be to move up to draft Hischier number 2.

26 minutes ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

How about this. Patrick and Hischier are going to go 1 and 2 and Canucks are likely finishing in the number 3 spot which also means we might get bumped down to 4 or 5 again. If that's the case, package that 31st pick, and even the Columbus 2nd of need be to move up to draft Hischier number 2.

I agree with, maybe even throw in another late round pick.

31 minutes ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

Why does everyone assume we will lose the lottery?  This is our year baby!  1st overall!

18 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Why does everyone assume we will lose the lottery?  This is our year baby!  1st overall!

Because optimism is ugly? I dunno. 

San Jose wins the Cup, we get their 1st. Our two firsts + Hutton + Virtanen for Duchene and Landeskog. 

21 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

And nah. Detroit is in the lottery this year. No way the league does not allow them to "randomly" win. 

45 minutes ago, hatedkid666 said:

I agree with, maybe even throw in another late round pick.

If that's what it takes. Guys likes Goldobin and Dahlen are great and could be 2nd line players, but we need at least one or two guys with elite skill and we've got to take advantage of the chances we have.

Trying not to focus on the possibility of getting that 1st pick from SJ. Don't want to be let down again in the Finals.

Let's assume the Canucks will get the 4th, and hope that Goldobin turns into a productive NHL player.

14 minutes ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

If that's what it takes. Guys likes Goldobin and Dahlen are great and could be 2nd line players, but we need at least one or two guys with elite skill and we've got to take advantage of the chances we have.

Or how about let's see what guys like Goldobin and Dahlen are made of instead of typecasting them as "maybe 2nd line players".

Bo sets a phenomenal example for all of the young players in, and coming into the organization. Horvat was cast as a bottom 6 center "maybe" a 2nd line center on a not very deep team. Over the past 3 years he has blown away all expectation, and no one really knows just what his ceiling is, because he has a hell of a work ethic and is constantly pushing himself to be better and better. Bo Horvat is going to be our number 1 center unless we get supremely lucky and get the opportunity to draft Nolan Patrick who I think is going to be a pretty fine hockey player in his own right.

That kind of work ethic is contagious, and is likely to rub off on the rest of the young crew. So, I'm of the mind of let them play, let them develop, and let them decide for themselves how they want to be perceived.

Nothing wrong with having a 1A/1B set up or even 2 A+ 2nd lines which balances out scoring and makes for more threats that need to be contained.

Just now, VanGnome said:

Or how about let's see what guys like Goldobin and Dahlen are made of instead of typecasting them as "maybe 2nd line players".

Bo sets a phenomenal example for all of the young players in, and coming into the organization. Horvat was cast as a bottom 6 center "maybe" a 2nd line center on a not very deep team. Over the past 3 years he has blown away all expectation, and no one really knows just what his ceiling is, because he has a hell of a work ethic and is constantly pushing himself to be better and better. Bo Horvat is going to be our number 1 center unless we get supremely lucky and get the opportunity to draft Nolan Patrick who I think is going to be a pretty fine hockey player in his own right.

That kind of work ethic is contagious, and is likely to rub off on the rest of the young crew. So, I'm of the mind of let them play, let them develop, and let them decide for themselves how they want to be perceived.

Nothing wrong with having a 1A/1B set up or even 2 A+ 2nd lines which balances out scoring and makes for more threats that need to be contained.

I completely agree. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that Goldobin and Dahlen may very well develop like Bo and exceed all expectations, but Canucks still lack that player with an "elite skill package". Like a Mitch Marner, Patrick Kane, Patrick Laine, William Nylander, Pavel Datsyuk type who can almost float through the game on skill alone. That's the kind of talent you only find at the top of the draft. (Cough except datsyuk) 

Yes, I love the fact that Bo, Baertschi, Granlund, Tryamkin, Stecher, Gaunce, etc. are all learning from the Sedins, and recently Burrows and Hansen. Those vets set such a great example for our young guys, and I believe Bo will pay it forward.

Years from now, I can see Bo, at the "ripe" age of 25, setting the example for Boeser, Dahlen, Juolevi, Demko etc. The same example the Sedins gave him, the same example Linden and Naslund gave the Sedins, and so on.

23 hours ago, VanGnome said:

There's more than one potential number one centre in this draft. Vilardi, Patrick and maybe Hirschier all have the chops to fill that role. Tippett is good enough to be a top-line RW and Liljegren has drawn comparisons to Erik Karlsson and Nicklas Lidstrom for his play in the SEL. We've got a good chance at getting a great player in the Top 5 of this draft year. 

Archived