The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack MacEwen | #71 | RW

stonecoldstevebernier

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Goldobin is really the only guy that's a waiver risk that's 50/50 on making the team next year. 

Shouldn't be hard to make room for him assuming he earns a spot. 

Goldobin will be on the final year of his ELC next year, so no waivers. 

I had my doubts about MacEwen when we signed him, but he seems to be playing great in Utica by all reports. I don't expect him to be high-IQ, skilled top-6 guy, but hopefully he can bring his speed, size and physicality to our bottom-6 eventually for at least a stretch. 

3 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I had my doubts about MacEwen when we signed him, but he seems to be playing great in Utica by all reports. I don't expect him to be high-IQ, skilled top-6 guy, but hopefully he can bring his speed, size and physicality to our bottom-6 eventually for at least a stretch. 

Actually he is skilled,. and has a great IQ..  did through Junior,.   He should translate into a top 6 player with the right opportunity...  he has more than doubled Virtannens output in less games,  his first year pro in the AHL.  Zack IS goal/time orrientated..  hope we see him with the Canucks before this season ends earning some chump change for the Summer to help with training.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Classic late-bloomer who started late, but has a lot of promise, and provides an element that we're definitely missing right now -- like a younger Archibald with potentially more upside.  A number of teams were after him, and Anaheim had him as an invite the previous year.  The way he's progressing, we'll likely see him in games next year, and perhaps as soon as this year post-TDL down the stretch.  But some people seem to think they're smarter than everyone else...

:unsure:

#canucksmarmy

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Burke's such a tool. I see way too much negativity about unproven prospects out of CA, no need to put down one prospect in order to praise another. Granted, Laplante is a dud, but the QMJHL is littered with undersized forwards that are lighting it up (like Abramov) and players with MacEwen's skill set are tough to find. When I watch him play, he reminds me of what we all wanted Grenier to be. Think he could definitely see some game action next year depending on how he'll stack up compared to guys like Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich, etc. Could throw Carcone in there too if he can find some better consistency to his game.

Funny, you've seen him play much more than I but I was thinking the same thing.  Has he only had the one fight this year?  Would have thought he'd at least have been challenged a number of times, but perhaps he doesn't feel he needs to prove himself in that regard?

Puts in the effort like Biega, but in a 6'3" 215 frame.  Needs seasoning, but reminds me of a bigger Burrows without the cheap stuff. A real handful to play against. He is right where he belongs, especially with Archie, Boucher and Goldy up, and Megna, Bancks, Molino hurt. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Funny, you've seen him play much more than I but I was thinking the same thing.  Has he only had the one fight this year?  Would have thought he'd at least have been challenged a number of times, but perhaps he doesn't feel he needs to prove himself in that regard?

Yeah, just the one I believe. He's not out there steamrolling people but he goes to the tough areas and doesn't shy away at all from mucking it up in the corners or in front of the net and like hobart said, he can be a real handful when he does that. Whereas Grenier always tried to be a playmaker/dangler and generally avoided the physical play... although strangely, Grenier fought fairly often. Maybe its just not MacEwen's thing.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Yeah, just the one I believe. He's not out there steamrolling people but he goes to the tough areas and doesn't shy away at all from mucking it up in the corners or in front of the net and like hobart said, he can be a real handful when he does that. Whereas Grenier always tried to be a playmaker/dangler and generally avoided the physical play... although strangely, Grenier fought fairly often. Maybe its just not MacEwen's thing.

So he's at least more physical than Horvat or Gaunce, who do engage and battle but don't exactly get physically aggressive?  Not an active hitter who goes looking for them but will deliver when there's an opportunity?  The front-of/go-to-the-net stuff is something we definitely need more of, and even Dahlen sounds like he'll add that for us.

22 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Time can change that,.  And if it’s the last thing on his list to polish, that’s good... he is 22?

... or perhaps he is more mentally wired like a Rick Nash.    I hope we see him in Vancouver before the season ends.

thanks for all the insight SCSBernier !