The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack MacEwen | #71 | RW

stonecoldstevebernier

On 7/29/2021 at 9:17 AM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

With Roussel being dealt, Ferland LTIR retiring, and Gadjovich likely not quite ready for a spot, and the lack of right handed forwards up front.; it appears like the door of opportunity has swung wide open again for Zack MacEwen. 

No one on the team has the size and physical push back like Mac does. Our team has greatly improved its skill and speed, but upfront lacks a lot of physical pushback. Miller can but we dont want him to do that, Garland has bite but he isn't a punishing guy, and its too much to put that responsibility on Vasili Podkolzin. MacEwen seemed to bounce in and out of the lineup, but this would be a massive opportunity for him to seize a spot on the right side likely beside Motte and Sutter. 

One thing I think Zach can work on is his speed. I think he could be a holy terror on the forecheck. The one thing I enjoyed about Identity Line was their tenacity on the puck, and how they pinned the puck behind the net. Was a thing of beauty, but you have to get there quickly. Some skating help would be great for that. I am glad we didn't lose Zach in the ED.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

One thing I think Zach can work on is his speed. I think he could be a holy terror on the forecheck. The one thing I enjoyed about Identity Line was their tenacity on the puck, and how they pinned the puck behind the net. Was a thing of beauty, but you have to get there quickly.

Of course, speed is nearly essential in today's NHL. But with Zach, I am actually more concerned with his judgement. Judgement on how to develop a play, judgment on where to pass, i just see him making too many "nothing" plays. I'd prefer he plays a bit more of a Reeves style. Focus on creating that havoc.

Edited by kloubek
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Of course, speed is nearly essential in today's NHL. But with Zach, I am actually more concerned with his judgement. Judgement on how to develop a play, judgment on where to pass, i just see him many too many "nothing" plays. I'd prefer he plays a bit more of a Reeves style. Focus on creating that havoc.

Yes keeping it simple. Like drawing a line in the sand. "We're coming at you hard af and there ain't nothing you can do about it." 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Mac may have a chance for more 4th line centre minutes especially if he's better at face-offs in training camp. 

Hint hint. :towel:

This will definitely be interesting to watch.  The fourth line and the spare forward(s) (max 2) are really the only spots where I can see a position being up for grabs.

I assume the team will carry one spare forward like they have most of the time in the past.  Sutter is presumably the 4th line center and Motte will be one of the 4th line wingers.  That really only leaves 2 vacant spots.

Personally I think Lockwood will challenge for a spot at camp, but he's waiver exempt so I can't see him making the opening night roster.  Any one of MacEwen, Gadjovich, Highmore, Di Giuseppe, Dowling, Petan or Bailey could have a shot at the last two spots.  It's going to be very competitive and very interesting to see what coaching wants in the 4th line. 

Neither Sutter or Motte are "big" guys and while Motte does like to hit, it's his speed and smarts that creates more havoc than his ability to physically overpower opponents.  I can't see them keeping two smaller guys but maybe one.  MacEwen is more versatile since he can play C (as you have mentioned) and W but he hasn't really been used as a C at the NHL level yet so that's something we'll see.  Still, that versatility may give him an advantage at keeping a spot in the NHL.  I would like to see Gadjovich make the team but it's going to be very competitive at camp.  Could easily see Bailey or Di Giuseppe making the team instead.

Based on MacEwen's versatility, I think an NHL roster spot is his to lose but he's really going to have to outplay his competition and demonstrate the value of his versatility at camp.  I agree that if MacEwen can show that he can be an effective faceoff man, then at the very least that could take some pressure of Sutter which could be very valuable.

• Cheers 1

I am thinking that a forth line of Mac - Sutter - Podz.  If Big Mac can improve his skating (Sometimes he doesn't look like he is in control when skating at his full speed.)  If he could just improve his balance and side to side speed he would be right where he needs to be.  I don't know enough about skating and whether he can still improve in these areas as he is what he is at his age.  Maybe someone with a better understanding of Power Skating could way in on whether he can improve much more for a player of his type and age. B)

5 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

This will definitely be interesting to watch.  The fourth line and the spare forward(s) (max 2) are really the only spots where I can see a position being up for grabs.

I assume the team will carry one spare forward like they have most of the time in the past.  Sutter is presumably the 4th line center and Motte will be one of the 4th line wingers.  That really only leaves 2 vacant spots.

Personally I think Lockwood will challenge for a spot at camp, but he's waiver exempt so I can't see him making the opening night roster.  Any one of MacEwen, Gadjovich, Highmore, Di Giuseppe, Dowling, Petan or Bailey could have a shot at the last two spots.  It's going to be very competitive and very interesting to see what coaching wants in the 4th line. 

Neither Sutter or Motte are "big" guys and while Motte does like to hit, it's his speed and smarts that creates more havoc than his ability to physically overpower opponents.  I can't see them keeping two smaller guys but maybe one.  MacEwen is more versatile since he can play C (as you have mentioned) and W but he hasn't really been used as a C at the NHL level yet so that's something we'll see.  Still, that versatility may give him an advantage at keeping a spot in the NHL.  I would like to see Gadjovich make the team but it's going to be very competitive at camp.  Could easily see Bailey or Di Giuseppe making the team instead.

Based on MacEwen's versatility, I think an NHL roster spot is his to lose but he's really going to have to outplay his competition and demonstrate the value of his versatility at camp.  I agree that if MacEwen can show that he can be an effective faceoff man, then at the very least that could take some pressure of Sutter which could be very valuable.

I heard on 650 that motte won’t be ready for training camp and that will increase internal competition.

so that leaves 3 spots up for grabs to start the season at least.

I personally think that Lockwood and Bailey will surprise a lot of ppl this year 

6 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

MacEwen 6'3 very aggressive much needed on this team..No question Big Mac 6'3, 210 can fight with the big boys will be the #12th forward spot...We need Zack heavy on forecheck and be there for teams trying to intimidate the young smaller Canucks.....

• 1 month later...

What's the deal with this guy? He plays some uninspired hockey when he has the opportunities to grab a roster. I'm pretty sure he's gonna be among the people to be cut tomorrow. Just hasn't shown enough.

I'm pretty surprised about Petan/Di Giuseppe and Lockwood though. Special mention goes to Gadj also. A lot of our players have really stepped up.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

I suspect this thread will be closed soon

We don't close player threads. If they leave the team, we move them to the alumni section. If they get set down to the AHL, we move them to the Prospects/In The System subforum.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CanuckleHorse said:

After that fight I think we all don’t feel so vulnerable to the bullies of the league hate the result but s#*t happens.

As I understand the fight was about retribution for MacEwen bumping Smith, Kaasian wanted the fight and now wishes he hadn't. Stupid play by Kassian, he might be out with Concussion protocol. Kassian alternate career is not as a rocket scientist

• Thanks 1

So he’s 25 and already becoming a league heavyweight fighter, with a little extra work on his defensive play and throwing clean body checks on the forecheck it really shouldn’t be a stretch for him to be a 4th line regular. Simplify his game: Chip the puck out and chase it down .