The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack MacEwen | #71 | RW

stonecoldstevebernier

6 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

I just checked their roster and dam they look tough. I can't see us getting to 6 games with them. Atleast I get to watch Brisbois and Neil! 

Also I thought Sprong was playing for the Pens already?

He started the year with them last year but got sent back to junior midway through the season, and he's been in the Q all year this year. But yeah, they swept Baie-Comeau aside pretty easily... upsets can happen though!

No idea on if MacEwen will join Utica or not but they're mostly healthy now and have a few extra forwards on the roster, so maybe not. Brett McKenzie's been with them for a little while now and hasn't played.

Signed ATO with Utica

COMETS SIGN FORWARD ZACK MACEWEN TO ATO

APR 10, 2017

Utica, NY - Utica Comets Director of Hockey Operations Pat Conacher has announced that the club has signed forward Zack MacEwen to an amateur tryout contract.

MacEwen, 20, recently finished his season in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League with the Gatineau Olympiques playing in 66 regular season games ranking second on the team in goals (31), assists (43), points (74) and penalty minutes (90). The Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island native has registered 114 points (41-73-114) and 146 penalty minutes over the last two years in the QMJHL. Last season, MacEwen skated with the Moncton Wildcats.

Photo courtesy of Surlevif.net

For the latest Comets news visit www.uticacomets.com or follow the team on Facebook (www.facebook.com/uticacomets), Twitter (@UticaComets), Instagram (@UticaComets), Snapchat (@UticaComets) and the Comets YouTube Channel.

• Upvote 1

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 8:35 PM, JamesBlondage said:

Maybe an AHL replacement for Labate when he makes the Canucks in the fall?

That, or possibly a replacement for Grenier, when we don't resign him at all. Similar size, both of them seem to have stats that reflect being a playmaker vs a pure goal scorer. I see this kid as a dark horse for the 4th line not next season, but the 2018-19 season. Good size, good speed, some offensive talent, good amount of "grit".

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Father Ryan said:

That, or possibly a replacement for Grenier, when we don't resign him at all. Similar size, both of them seem to have stats that reflect being a playmaker vs a pure goal scorer. I see this kid as a dark horse for the 4th line not next season, but the 2018-19 season. Good size, good speed, some offensive talent, good amount of "grit".

That is exactly how I see MacEwen fitting in next year.  Grenier is a UFA and I don't see where he fits in the Canucks plans so I don't see them resigning him.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

MacEwen had a great game today as did more then a handful of others!!   Needs a bump from April.....

I really noticed him out there tonight. Believe he is already 20 or 21 so physically...especially in the face he looked like a man against boys....(Pettersson does look 14..lol) MacEwan has a very nice mix of speed and size. Can tell he won't shy away from contact or driving to the net. 

• Upvote 2

On 3/3/2017 at 4:22 PM, guntrix said:

I'm all for taking shots on new kids but the Canucks are really reaching with this guy. 

20 year old, 6'4" with only 62 points in 59 games in his third year in the Q is very dire. I'll consider it a success if he makes the AHL. 

They are?   :shock:  Also 2 goals last night in prospects game.

Kid can skate shoot pass & fight... B)

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-07-07 at 1:17 PM, CoolCanucklehead said:

They are?   :shock:  Also 2 goals last night in prospects game.

Kid can skate shoot pass & fight... B)

Yeah this kid is going to suprise people. He's a lot more skilled and quick than people realize...

• Upvote 4