Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Martin Brodeur


HKSR

Recommended Posts

I saw Martin Brodeur in a TV commercial the other day, and it just brought to attention the fact that he had such a disappointing and luckluster end to his playing career...

 

Calder Trophy winner, 4-time Vezina winner, 5-time Jennings winner, 3 Stanley Cups, 2 Olympic golds, Most wins all-time, Most shut-outs all-time, Most games played, and on and on and on...

 

I find it sad that arguably one of the greatest goaltenders of all-time just kinda faded into the background, rather than having a hero's standing ovation salute (a la Linden's last game with the Canucks).  Now he'll never truly get that moment.

 

Anyways, I hope Jagr calls it quits at the right time and doesn't fade into the background like Brodeur did.  Love him or hate him, Brodeur deserved that moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, The Game said:

The thing that bothers me the most with Brodeur's career is that he played those seven games for the Blues. I wish he would've played his entire career for one team. I really hope the Sedins never play for another NHL team than the Canucks. 

I hope they do, and that they can win a Cup wherever they end up going.

It's unfortunate, but it just isn't going to happen for them here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

I saw Martin Brodeur in a TV commercial the other day, and it just brought to attention the fact that he had such a disappointing and luckluster end to his playing career...

 

Calder Trophy winner, 4-time Vezina winner, 5-time Jennings winner, 3 Stanley Cups, 2 Olympic golds, Most wins all-time, Most shut-outs all-time, Most games played, and on and on and on...

 

I find it sad that arguably one of the greatest goaltenders of all-time just kinda faded into the background, rather than having a hero's standing ovation salute (a la Linden's last game with the Canucks).  Now he'll never truly get that moment.

 

Anyways, I hope Jagr calls it quits at the right time and doesn't fade into the background like Brodeur did.  Love him or hate him, Brodeur deserved that moment.

He traded his moment for extra paycheques.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Game said:

The thing that bothers me the most with Brodeur's career is that he played those seven games for the Blues. I wish he would've played his entire career for one team. I really hope the Sedins never play for another NHL team than the Canucks. 

You'd prefer that they never have a shot at winning a cup just so you can watch them on TV?  The Canucks are years away from being able to compete for one.  The Sedins are already fading and only have a very limited amount of time left in the NHL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Game said:

The thing that bothers me the most with Brodeur's career is that he played those seven games for the Blues. I wish he would've played his entire career for one team. I really hope the Sedins never play for another NHL team than the Canucks. 

Remember Ray Bourqe and the Colorado Avs winning the cup?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Deets said:

So you're saying the most award winning goaltender of all time should have stopped playing the game he loves sooner for one last standing ovation?

 

Yah, ok...

Ummm yes.  Some would agree that he should have ended his career 7 games sooner.  Honestly, what else did he have to win?  He was done.  He went out on a low.  If he had gone out on a high, the images of him waving goodbye to the fans would have been the last image for a legendary goaltender.  Instead, I just recall the final memories of him letting in weak goals in a St Louis jersey... then fading into the background.  7 games in a St Louis uniform... 7...!  So yeah, he should have called it quits sooner... by 7 games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well. Maybe he felt he didn't want any extra attention since he has already done a damn good job in his career regardless how good the team was in front of him that time. True fans should already know how good he was rather than what he did in his final moment. I would have loved that he stayed in NJ. I don't know why he left. Regardless he did a damn good job and that's what I remember most about my favourite nhl player. His empty net goals was awesome to watch as a kid without the no goalie zone. His Calder, Stanley Cup, Vezina, etc were accomplishments for sure and I'll remember him for holding many records as well. Hasek was an awesome goalie, never won a cup, but I'll remember him as a pretty damn good one too. Not to the same level as Brodeur. 

Wish him and his family the best. It's because of you Martin, that I loved watching hockey as a kid and began taking interest in playing a goaltender with my friends behind Safeway playing road hockey and those good ol pads with one net and the other net made out of Safeway plastic crates. Good times. I remember him for many good things which he did indirectly as well. Role model.

As long as he was happy with his overall career. It's not a big deal that he played for another team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2017 at 11:37 AM, Deets said:

So you're saying the most award winning goaltender of all time should have stopped playing the game he loves sooner for one last standing ovation?

 

Yah, ok...

lol, the armchair hall of fame goalies out in force in this thread it seems. Yeah ok guys, you weren't / will never be in his position. He did great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2017 at 1:24 PM, HKSR said:

Ummm yes.  Some would agree that he should have ended his career 7 games sooner.  Honestly, what else did he have to win?  He was done.  He went out on a low.  If he had gone out on a high, the images of him waving goodbye to the fans would have been the last image for a legendary goaltender.  Instead, I just recall the final memories of him letting in weak goals in a St Louis jersey... then fading into the background.  7 games in a St Louis uniform... 7...!  So yeah, he should have called it quits sooner... by 7 games.

So you are new to hockey.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Brodeur said:

Well. Maybe he felt he didn't want any extra attention since he has already done a damn good job in his career regardless how good the team was in front of him that time. True fans should already know how good he was rather than what he did in his final moment. I would have loved that he stayed in NJ. I don't know why he left. Regardless he did a damn good job and that's what I remember most about my favourite nhl player. His empty net goals was awesome to watch as a kid without the no goalie zone. His Calder, Stanley Cup, Vezina, etc were accomplishments for sure and I'll remember him for holding many records as well. Hasek was an awesome goalie, never won a cup, but I'll remember him as a pretty damn good one too. Not to the same level as Brodeur. 

Wish him and his family the best. It's because of you Martin, that I loved watching hockey as a kid and began taking interest in playing a goaltender with my friends behind Safeway playing road hockey and those good ol pads with one net and the other net made out of Safeway plastic crates. Good times. I remember him for many good things which he did indirectly as well. Role model.

As long as he was happy with his overall career. It's not a big deal that he played for another team.

Ummm... what?  You do know he's a 2-time Stanley Cup champion right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, HKSR said:

This doesn't even make any sense.  The fact you posted this at around 4am, just stick to your moonshine buddy.

It's a basic English sentence, I'm sorry it's too confusing for you. :(

 

Also, have you ever heard of time zones? I heard they're a thing now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Moonshinefe said:

It's a basic English sentence, I'm sorry it's too confusing for you. :(

 

Also, have you ever heard of time zones? I heard they're a thing now.

You've added nothing of quality to this thread other than to try and infer that I didn't watch Brodeur play on the Devils.  Ironically, if you look at my join date on this hockey forum, I joined the year that Brodeur won his 3rd and last Stanley Cup, which clearly makes your sentence a moot point -- and that's all assuming I didn't watch hockey before I joined a hockey forum on the internet.

 

I've been a Canucks fan for over 30 years.  Based on your childish reply to my thread, I reckon you might not even be 30 years old. 

 

Anyways, carry on young grasshopper, and share your knowledge of the English language with the world.  You're going places.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...