The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Olli Jokinen announces retirement

Forward Olli Jokinen will sign an honorary contract with the Florida Panthers and announce his retirement from professional hockey Tuesday.

The Panthers will honor Jokinen's accomplishments during the second period of their game against the New York Rangers at BB&T Center (7:30 p.m. ET; FS-F, MSG, NHL.TV).

"My heart has always been with the Panthers organization and now I feel like my career has come full circle," Jokinen told the Panthers website. "I am extremely grateful that I had the chance to play hockey in South Florida and help the sport grow. I want to thank my family -- my wife Katerina and my daughters Alexandra, Emma and Keira -- and all of the fans, teammates, coaches and staff who have supported me throughout my career."

Jokinen, 38, played seven seasons for Florida (2000-08) and was captain from 2003-08. He is first in Panthers history in points (419), goals (188), game-winning goals (36), overtime goals (10), power-play points (153) and shots (1,837).

"Olli is an important player in the history of the Panthers franchise and he remains a fan favorite," Panthers president of hockey operations Dale Tallon said. "We are proud to give Olli the opportunity to retire as a Panther and we congratulate him on a long, successful and productive National Hockey League career."

Selected by the Los Angeles Kings with the No. 3 pick in the 1997 NHL Draft, Jokinen retires with 750 points (321 goals, 429 assists) in 1,231 NHL games with 10 teams. He last played in the NHL with the St. Louis Blues in 2014-15.

Jokinen lives in Florida, and formed the South Florida Hockey Academy in 2016, along with former Panthers teammates Tomas Vokoun and Radek Dvorak.

https://www.nhl.com/news/olli-jokinen-announces-retirement-from-hockey/c-287459700

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

...Remember when people (read: morons) wanted to trade both Sedins for this guy?

I actually don't remember this. Yeesh. Was this during peak Olli in his Panther days? Sooner or later, Vancouver and Florida will just swap their entire rosters. 

For years I thought Olli Jokinen was prematurely bald and then come to find out he was buzz cutting it and actually had these long, flowing locks. 

His space ship must be leaving earth. Doesn't want to get left behind with this inferior race. I kid I kid I truly wish him all the best he was a good player and by all accounts a great team mate too bad he played for the flames all those years. Would have looked damn good on the nux in 2011. 

7 hours ago, HC20.0 said:

Good player back in the day. It's sad that out of 1,237 total games played, only 6 were in the playoffs. Guy had no luck finding a good team.

Guy has a tramp stamp though.

And no one can ever take that achievement away from him.

14 hours ago, D-Money said:

...Remember when people (read: morons) wanted to trade both Sedins for this guy?

Back in 06 after the finals between Carolina and Edmonton. Hemsky was another guy 

My god I've been browsing these boards for over 10 years...

10 hours ago, canucksfann said:

Back in 06 after the finals between Carolina and Edmonton. Hemsky was another guy 

My god I've been browsing these boards for over 10 years...

CDC where the inmates run the asylum.

Been here for close to 13 years, I wonder if I'll ever get out ...

He's supposed to be the prototypical playoff player.  A large centre, with offensive skills and with truculence.  

Except... he has almost never been in the playoffs and I'm not sure what his commitment level to reaching there was either.  

Wasn't it back during 09/10 that it down to either the Flyers or NYR for the final spot in the post-season, and it came down to a shootout where Jokinen had to score.  Except he release some pathetic wrist shot and thus the Rangers missed out (and the Flyers made it to the SCF).  

Archived