The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Victoria area restaurant recommendations

JM_

Hey Islanders, need some advice from the local foodies.

I'm working in Victoria for about a month and was wondering if anyone can recommend their favorite local places to go that are off the tourist maps.

Thanks

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Reef

Bard and Banker

Rebar

Italian Import Eatery (best sammiches)

Pink Bicycle

Thanks! I was bummed to find out the Bengal Room at the Empress is closed... why the hell did they do that? It was a neat place for a drink.

I guess it depends on what part of town you are in.

Red Barn has a great sandwich bar for lunches.  They have locations all over the Victoria area.

I agree with the above posters on Bin4 and Pink Bicycle for burgers, and Oregano's for pizza.

Willie's Bakery has awesome breakfasts and is easier to get into than Jam.

Tacofino

Flying Otter

Pagliacci's and John's place

Spinnakers

If you are out in the sticks, Mychosen Cafe and Foresters (at Olympic View golf course) are good spots too.

Spinnakers brew pub is my favorite place in town. Highly recommend the Pulled Pork Sandwich.

Spoons is great for a huge breaky, Johns place is also fantastic (get corn bread as a side, you're welcome). If you want something smaller try Jam (the line is crazy) or Shine.

Canoe Brew pub also has unreal food, and almost everything is seasonal. Famoso has awesome pizza. Fan tan cafe for Chinese.  Koto sushi for dinner, Shiki for lunch ( bento box)

If you're after anything let me know, I might know a place or can ask a foody friend.

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

Thanks! I was bummed to find out the Bengal Room at the Empress is closed... why the hell did they do that? It was a neat place for a drink.

It closed last summer I think.

As for my recommendations, I also really like the patio and beers and Canoe Club. The Aussie burger has a beet and an egg on it and I love it.

I have had really good experiences at Il Terrazzo. Also, I know it sounds stupid, but I love the Noodlebox on Douglas. Chorizo & Co is a good lunch spot. Floyd's is always packed, but it is kind of a local Victoria staple for breakfast. 

More controversial opinion: Irish Times is overrated. 

my top 3

Hanks  - tiny, sweaty, loud hole in the wall place right downtown - they don't even have a menu they just come up with weird inventions every day and put them up on the blackboard - eg. last time I was there they I ordered the PB&J Bacon Burger with a side of Offensive Language and they sent the chef out who told me to 'sit the F down, calm my A and wait' while he made my burger

Part & Parcel  - out of the way in Quadra Village but worth it - started by two chefs from top hotel restaurants downtown who wanted their own smaller, neighbourhood hangout sandwich and salad joint

Standard Pizza - best pizza in town and it's hidden in the corner of a strip mall on Cook St. - go figure

I really like the Vista 18 at the top of Chateau Victoria, a hotel. I used to live on the Olympic Peninsula many years ago and would take many trips over to Victoria, and would stop there for the view and wine. I haven't been there for a year. Maybe I'll make a day trip of it, and then go to the Olympic Peninsula for more wine. 

3 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Hey Islanders, need some advice from the local foodies.

I'm working in Victoria for about a month and was wondering if anyone can recommend their favorite local places to go that are off the tourist maps.

ig BB

Thanks

I'm not sure what's considered "off the tourist map", but I'm a student at UVic and the following are my go-to places

In no particular order:

Bin 4 - Half price burgers after 9pm, phenomenal menu, and good service

Noodlebox - I think there's a few of these in Vancouver now, but they started in Vic and they're definitely worth checking out. The Spicy Peanut Noodle Box w/ beef is a classic.

Maude Hunter's - Saanich area Pub with great food and drink specials Tuesday-Thursday (Insanely good half price wings on Wednesday)

The Tapa Bar - Located downtown in Trounce Alley, this place is scenic and pretty upscale (meaning great quality food w/ higher cost and slightly small portions)

The Local - Yea, that's its name, and its another great pub/restaurant worth checking out downtown

The Mint - Going out on a weekend? This underground place is open until 2am, on Douglas Street in the heart of downtown

Pig BBQ Joint - Craving something greasy? Get the pulled pork poutine here, add spice, and load it Pig BBQ sauce. This stuff will put yo *** in a food coma

The Penny Farthing - Ok, this place has gotta be on the TripAdvisor lists but it's a great Irish pub with exceptional food and decor. Great place to have a Guinness.

Irish Times - See above. This place is one of the more well-known restaurants downtown and has live music every night of the week

The Lemongrass Restaurant - Aight, so this place is a personal favourite because it's close to the university and at first glance it looks like a hole in the wall. Walk inside though and it's a great little Thai place with good food, prices, and service

I could go on, but these are definitely the most ones I'm most fond of.

Enjoy your time in Victoria!

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

I guess it depends on what part of town you are in.

Red Barn has a great sandwich bar for lunches.  They have locations all over the Victoria area.

I agree with the above posters on Bin4 and Pink Bicycle for burgers, and Oregano's for pizza.

Willie's Bakery has awesome breakfasts and is easier to get into than Jam.

Tacofino

Flying Otter

Pagliacci's and John's place

Spinnakers

If you are out in the sticks, Mychosen Cafe and Foresters (at Olympic View golf course) are good spots too.

I had the beer and cheese pot last night at Spinnakers actually, and their Irish stout was pretty darn good too. 

7 minutes ago, Zoolander said:

I'm not sure what's considered "off the tourist map", but I'm a student at UVic and the following are my go-to places

In my experience in a new place, often the ones with the "best view" often has the worst food / prices so its nice to get some local takes on places you'd miss not living here. The ones in the guide books often disappoint. 

There are a few glaring omissions in this thread that make me deeply question CDC's foodies as well as a few that just need to be reiterated because they're awesome.

Brunch

Shine Diner

Jam Cafe

Blue Fox

Floyd's 

Lunch & Dinner

Pagliacci's or Il Terrazo for Italian

Ferris Oyster Bar - not just oysters, crazy good pulled pork sandwiches and burgers!

Archived