The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eriksson out 1-2 weeks leg injury

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

3 hours ago, kilgore said:

He was signed on an elite level contract.  That kind of player should make others in his line better, not the other way around. Does he really help the Sedin's numbers? I'd have to see actual stats there, but just giving it the old eye test I don't see it. And WD hasn't seen it much either. He played himself off the first line and it was no ones fault but his own. He keeps getting shots back up there and keeps blowing it. Hey, I feel sorry for the guy in some ways. He looks broken with a big loss of confidence. He continually flubs chances in front of the net and that just spawns into less confidence. 

I think any player's stats would improve playing with a rising star like Bo. The question is how much they would drag down Bo doing it. He doesn't have the same hustle. Its funny two people can watch the same games and come to different conclusions. Yes he looks disinterested. Its not just me saying that. But maybe that's the wrong word. It looks like he has lost his confidence and that only makes his play, especially his O play, more tentative. Its a snowball effect. But then why not contribute in other ways, make it at least look like you care. Even though it is not in his traditional game... make some big hit, run the goalie, get mad and take a boarding penalty I dont care, draw a penalty because of how you fight to the net...something to show you still care about the game.

I'm just hoping that he takes a big breath in the Summer and re-sets himself and comes back a new man and much like in Boston , has a better second year. I want him to succeed for the sake of the team.

I made a post on the actual stats you can look up if you want to. 

Line mates make a huge difference, in Boston and Dallas he was paired with a strong C like Bo. 

People upset at Loui for signing the deal, would have also signed the deal. Hands up from all those folk that would have told the Canucks," no make it $2 million less and then I'll sign".   I don't see many hands up.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

People upset at Loui for signing the deal, would have also signed the deal. Hands up from all those folk that would have told the Canucks," no make it $2 million less and then I'll sign".   I don't see many hands up.

Hahahahaha. Well put.

9 hours ago, Baggins said:

Elite level contract????

LMAO_zpsibkqa9xu.gif

A $36 million 6 year deal is nothing to laugh at

It is in the elite range IMO. Obviously not at the top level.

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/

He is listed as 56th out of 731 NHL players @ 6 million this season.   But even then it doesn't factor into the equation the length of the contract, which is also important to consider. Still not elite enough for you?  You must have expensive tastes Baggins.

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

A $36 million 6 year deal is nothing to laugh at

It is in the elite range IMO. Obviously not at the top level.

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/

He is listed as 56th out of 731 NHL players @ 6 million this season.   But even then it doesn't factor into the equation the length of the contract, which is also important to consider. Still not elite enough for you?  You must have expensive tastes Baggins.

Oh I'm not laughing at 6m. I'm laughing at notion it's "elite player" money.

How many of those 56 contracts were signed last summer? Something you need to compare as salaries go up as the cap rises. For example: Toews re-signed with Chicago two years earlier (lower salary cap at the time) and is paid 13.8m per for the first 3 years and carries a 10.5m cap hit for the 8 year deal. How about Malkin also signing 2 years earlier (again a lower salary cap at the time) for 8 years at 9.5m. Those are "elite level" contracts that are two years older. And they had history with those teams. Did they give the old "home town discount" to stay with their respective teams? Rick Nash signed his deal 6 years earlier than Ericksson (much lower salary cap) that carries a 7.8m cap hit. What Ericksson got was a "good player/borderline star" contract at a "good player" price. Nowhere near what elite players are demanding.

I don't have expensive taste at all, I'm just more realistic about NHL salaries and take into consideration when a deal is signed and what the cap was at the time. Market value changes with the cap. Thus you can't really compare deals that were signed several years apart with taking the cap into consideration. I also take into consideration RFA versus UFA because UFA's have more leverage.

16 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Oh I'm not laughing at 6m. I'm laughing at notion it's "elite player" money.

How many of those 56 contracts were signed last summer? Something you need to compare as salaries go up as the cap rises. For example: Toews re-signed with Chicago two years earlier (lower salary cap at the time) and is paid 13.8m per for the first 3 years and carries a 10.5m cap hit for the 8 year deal. How about Malkin also signing 2 years earlier (again a lower salary cap at the time) for 8 years at 9.5m. Those are "elite level" contracts that are two years older. And they had history with those teams. Did they give the old "home town discount" to stay with their respective teams? Rick Nash signed his deal 6 years earlier than Ericksson (much lower salary cap) that carries a 7.8m cap hit. What Ericksson got was a "good player/borderline star" contract at a "good player" price. Nowhere near what elite players are demanding.

I don't have expensive taste at all, I'm just more realistic about NHL salaries and take into consideration when a deal is signed and what the cap was at the time. Market value changes with the cap. Thus you can't really compare deals that were signed several years apart with taking the cap into consideration. I also take into consideration RFA versus UFA because UFA's have more leverage.

You say tomatoe...

I concede that he may be near the bottom of 'elite' paid players, but considering where he sits in salary + length of contract? ... thats one big juicy tomata, tomato, tomatoe, or whatever you want to call it.  One man's lower elite is another man's "good player/borderline star".

Archived