The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) The Youth Movement: Upgrading Our Young Defense

The Canucks are looking to get younger as an organization. That is something that was reinforced by the deadline. We have spent the past two and a half seasons building up a solid prospect pool in all three positions, with defense being a self proclaimed strength. We have young players in Juolevi, Stetcher, Tryamkin, Hutton, Gudbranson and Brisebois who are all good, young defensemen in the organization. I agree that this group looks pretty solid, but I don't think it's at the level that some of us think it is. We are not overflowing with young defensemen to the point where we are desperate to move one for a forward. In fact, I think we should be looking to bolster our prospect pool on defense. If one of our young defensemen doesn't reach their potential, which is likely, we suddenly have a hole on our back end. With our fresh commitment to the youth movement, I think adding a defenseman would be a good move. 

Given his age, I think Edler should be the next veteran to be moved. Losing him would weaken our team just in time for a strong 2018 draft. Benning has a preference for players who have already been drafted and developed for a couple of years, which is a good strategy. I don't see any reason why that same principle wouldn't apply here unless we are blown away with a different offer. With that said, there are 2 young defenseman I would target on draft day based on their individual needs as well as the needs of their team; Juulsen from Montreal and Pulock from the Islanders. 

Trade Idea 1:

To MTL:

Edler

3rd Round Pick 2017

To VAN:

Juulsen 

MTL 2nd Round Pick 2018

MTL 5th Round Pick 2018

Reasoning for the Canadiens:

Montreal is in a win now mindset. They have Weber and Price at the center of any hope of making a run in the Playoffs. Both Weber and Price will be in decline soon (not sure to what extent, however) as well as Price's contract expiring after next year. They have this year as well as next year to make a splash before Price either leaves or requires a truckload of cash. Assuming they don't win this year (which is pretty likely), next year is their last chance. Adding a defenseman like Edler would be a move that improves their team and improves their chances of winning. If Benning could get heart and soul guys like Bieksa, Burrows and Hansen to waive their NTC's, he could probably say something similar to get Edler to waive. Edler could also recognize that he would have a shot at competing in the Playoffs without being the #1 guy on defense. He wouldn't be the go to guy in any situation and would flourish playing behind Weber. This likely wouldn't be the only move that puts Montreal over the top, but it is a very good addition to build off of for them. They are likely losing Emelin to expansion, which means Edler would slot right in as an upgrade on the left side:

Beaulieu - Weber

Edler - Petry

Benn - Nesterov

Reasoning for the Canucks:

The Canucks get a young player who could develop into a top 4 defenseman. Because of our current depth on defense, we could let him grow in the minors for as long as he needs without being rushed. We could even give one of our current defenseman more development time if Juulsen passes them on the depth chart. Adding him increases the chances of the Canucks having a solid defense core simply because they have more lottery tickets, in the form of defensemen. Even in that unlikely scenario that all of our defensemen turn out exactly how we want them to, we would still end up with a pretty good trade chip that we could use to acquire a forward. As an added bonus, Juulsen is a BC boy, which means he will likely be extra committed to the organization and the city, as we have seen with Stetcher. All in all, we add another skilled, right handed puckmover to our group of young defensmen. 

Trade Idea 2:

To NYI:

Edler

3rd Round Pick 2017

To VAN:

Pulock

2nd Round Pick 2018

Reasoning for the Islanders:

The Islanders have Tavares hitting Free Agency after next season. They need to make a push now to show him that they are committed to building a team that can compete in the Playoffs and are serious about winning. It becomes tougher when you consider that they let guys like Okposo and Nielsen walk for nothing as well as their arena troubles. Edler would improve their defense and instantly make them better. Similar to the Montreal deal, this deal exclusively likely doesn't get the Islanders where they want to be, but it is a good foundation. They would still need to add a forward or two, just like Montreal. Again, Edler wouldn't be in the spotlight in New York and it is less of a hockey market anyway. He would be behind Leddy, Boychuk and Hamonic on the depth chart, leaving him to space to play his game. Edler could also see a nice foundation on which to improve, similar to what Burrows saw in Ottawa. There have also been rumblings that Pulock has been passed by Pelech on their depth chart, which may or may not be true. However, Pulock has been in the AHL all season. 

Leddy - Boychuk

Edler - Hamonic

Hickey - de Haan

Reasoning for the Canucks:

Again, the Canucks add a player who could develop into a top 4 defenseman. Again, we could let him or one of our current defenseman grow in the minors. Adding Pulock would also increase the diversity in terms of playstyle on our defense. He has great physical tools and a 100+mph shot. He is smart and can move the puck. I think his skill set would compliment what we already have here. He could spend some time in the AHL to start the year and be the first callup on defense. He along with Virtanen, Gudbranson, Tryamkin and possibly Lockwood would give our team some edge, especially on defense. 

Canucks Future Defense:

Juolevi - Gudbranson

Hutton - Juulsen

Tryamkin - Stetcher

or

Juolevi - Gudbranson

Hutton - Pulock

Tryamkin - Stetcher

* These don't include Tanev, who could very well stick around as a valuable vet. 

Overall, I think I would prefer the 2nd trade. I think Pulock would be a great addition to our defense and a great partner for Hutton. Of course, I wouldn't be upset with the first trade either. 

What do you guys think?

48 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Edler is not waiving 

13 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I don't see Edler waiving unless it's as a rental and Benning makes it clear that he wouldn't be back.  A Burrows type deal where an extension is worked out beforehand would be beneficial to all involved.

Edler has said before that if the team doesn't want him, he would consider waiving. Similar to Burrows who said if they wanted him to waive he would. The difference is, Edler is not really a rental. He still has some term left on his deal. 

Nothing against your proposal OP.  However, my comment would be why tinker with the blue-line so much when the team could use help up front?  Olli, Tree, Hutton, Stecher should all become top-4 caliber D-men if not top-2 in their prime, plus as you said OP, Tanev may stick around, so that's already a very solid group.  

I'd like for the team to continue to move veteran assets for a scoring center prospect up the middle.  The team should be fine on the wings with Brock, Goldy, Dahlen (who may pan out as a wing), Sven, heck Lockwood and maybe Rodin if he sticks around.  Up the middle Horvat is the foundation for sure, and Sutter's still young-ish, while Gaudette also looks promising, but a surefire scoring center would be someone that I would want the team to move defensive assets to acquire.  That or go for someone like Tage Thompson in St. Louis (good find by another poster who suggested getting him along with Yak-- didn't know about Tage before but he's got Bjugstad-like attributes as a lesser prospect and so may be cheaper to acquire).

1 hour ago, Ojibwa72 said:

I would say definitely expose him if not just for the cap relief.

I heard Pierre LeBrun this morning on TSN 1040 talking about these side deals teams will be making with Vegas to either not take a player, or to take a player that has a bad contract.  In both cases Vegas gets a pick and or a prospect.  

Archived