The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jalen Chatfield | #63 | D

stonecoldstevebernier

12 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

It is a guessing game as to how much Juolevi actually weighs. Elite prospects 182, Hockey DB 183, Canucks roster 182 but in Wikipedia they have him as 6'3 and 196 go figure.

https://theprovince.com/sports/canucks-olli-juolevi-finally-arrives-as-a-roster-regular

Those aren't updated, he's 6'3 198lbs.

11 hours ago, Boudrias said:

OJ simply does not look that big on the ice. I had visions of a junior Edler. Wasn't he drafted at 182?

OJ looks pretty big on the ice.

• Thanks 1

Shame, he looked great to start the game and then made a classic rookie mistake to lead to a breakaway. In his fairness, there is zero support moving up the ice. Green needs to pull his forwards back and support each other, especially rookie D men. Chatfield was attacked by the forecheck and had no one to pass to because all the forwards are standing at the offensive blueline wanting to attack.

Feel bad for him, Green's system made him look bad there but he's been one of our better defenders one on one and very much looks like a future Tanev if he keeps up the hard work. Think he has to be replaced by Juolevi for the next game though regardless.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Shame, he looked great to start the game and then made a classic rookie mistake to lead to a breakaway. In his fairness, there is zero support moving up the ice. Green needs to pull his forwards back and support each other, especially rookie D men. Chatfield was attacked by the forecheck and had no one to pass to because all the forwards are standing at the offensive blueline wanting to attack.

Feel bad for him, Green's system made him look bad there but he's been one of our better defenders one on one and very much looks like a future Tanev if he keeps up the hard work. Think he has to be replaced by Juolevi for the next game though regardless.

The interference on edler didn’t help. I have liked his play so far and think he will settle into the d corp nicely 

On 2/2/2021 at 4:21 AM, UKNuck96 said:

The interference on edler didn’t help. I have liked his play so far and think he will settle into the d corp nicely 

A lot of what I see in Chatfield is similar to what I saw in Chris Tanev when he played for Chicago in the AHL. He is still just a rookie, so he'll make rookie mistakes, but I've seen him get progressively better in these last few games he has played. I liked Benning signing him after the Memorial Cup and he's a lot like Zack MacEwen, late bloomers with a burning desire to make it in the NHL. Chatfield may only ever be a 5th or 6th defenceman, and maybe he sneaks in to the top four in a couple of seasons. In any event, the kid is a keeper.

• Cheers 1

He's good for what he is but I think it's time Juolevi comes in, Chatfield's confidence is just getting ripped apart now. It's a bit like over-playing a rookie goalie, we need to groom the young defencemen the way we've slowly introduced Demko into the league.

Playing this kid 15 minutes a night seems about right but on the ice against Toronto's top line is asking for problems.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

He's good for what he is but I think it's time Juolevi comes in, Chatfield's confidence is just getting ripped apart now. It's a bit like over-playing a rookie goalie, we need to groom the young defencemen the way we've slowly introduced Demko into the league.

Playing this kid 15 minutes a night seems about right but on the ice against Toronto's top line is asking for problems.

Playing against tough competition like TOR top line will turn out to be as very helpful for his development.

It’s been 93 games since chatfield has recorded a goal in professional hockey.  Very little in the way of assist output.  If a player is bringing zero offense they need to be an absolute eraser on defense.  Good skater but not particularly big.  Other than being next man up on RHD don’t understand the woody green has for keeping chatfield in the lineup.

49 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

It’s been 93 games since chatfield has recorded a goal in professional hockey.  Very little in the way of assist output.  If a player is bringing zero offense they need to be an absolute eraser on defense.  Good skater but not particularly big.  Other than being next man up on RHD don’t understand the woody green has for keeping chatfield in the lineup.

That is why you sit him for awhile and play another prospect. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

That is why you sit him for awhile and play another prospect. 

True.  Too soon to give up on him to fully see what he has to offer.  But it definitely is time for someone else's turn.

We've seen this year what it looks when a rookie takes a spot, Hoglander did it. Juolevi, Chatfield, and Rafferty didn't do it.  Personally, I'd rather see Juolevi get another run.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

True.  Too soon to give up on him to fully see what he has to offer.  But it definitely is time for someone else's turn.

We've seen this year what it looks when a rookie takes a spot, Hoglander did it. Juolevi, Chatfield, and Rafferty didn't do it.  Personally, I'd rather see Juolevi get another run.

In my opinion. Juolevi didn't look out of place a single game he played. Green is an idiot for taking him out in the first place. Olli looked great. Chatfield not so much 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

In my opinion. Juolevi didn't look out of place a single game he played. Green is an idiot for taking him out in the first place. Olli looked great. Chatfield not so much 

Whats the idolizing these two players, Virtanen and Juolevi. Fans light their hair on fire over these two. I just can't understand it. Virtanen has just been bumped by Ericksson, and Juolevi can't beat out one of Edler, Hughes or Schmidt. Chatfield has won a spot over Rafferty. He plays D first and fore most and likely will get better with time

Edited by Fred65

3 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I agree that OJ hasn't looked at all out of place. But Green might have good reason for sitting him, like for example he might be a bit banged up with a minor injury. I am certainly not about to vilify Green without knowing the facts.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I've really liked what I've seen of Chatfied thus far.

Not the best circumstances to break into - where he's instantly on a shutdown pairing with Edler, playing very difficult minutes (among team-mates in general who are struggling - and committing a lot of borderline indefensible puck moving braincramps.

29.5% ozone starts is right alongside players like Beagle and Motte - and some really challenging matchups - so I'm not expecting great goal or 'possession' metrics - but I think he's been one of the bright spots.

Where Juolevi is concerned, I thought he's looked very good as well - but him being out of the lineup may be more a matter of the side he plays, the lack of veteran RHD to pair with him under the circumstances - and perhaps they're looking to avoid exposing him in this particular window, where they're pretty thin on the blueline - and the top 6 aren't playing particularly well either.  Still think Juolevi is a future fixture on the blueline, and Chatfield could carve out a spot as well if he continues to battle like he has been - has really solid instincts imo.

4 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Agree that he didn't look too out of place.  I do wonder how much he was protected with matchings though.  I feel Juolevi got more protected in that way than Chatfield.

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Whats the idolizing these two players, Virtanen and Juolevi. Fans light their hair on fire over these two. I just can't understand it. Virtanen has just been bumped by Ericksson, and Juolevi can't beat out one of Edler, Hughes or Schmidt. Chatfield has won a spot over Rafferty. He plays D first and fore most and likely will get better with time

Why do you often generalize "fans" when trying to make a point to make yourself sound smart? Usually followed by a weak opinion with poor facts.

Jake and Olli have been the most criticized prospects the Canucks have drafted in the JB regime.

@10pavelbure96 isn't wrong. Olli hasn't looked out of place. Schmidt plays more RD and can easily be moved over to make room for Olli.

• Vintage 3