The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jalen Chatfield | #63 | D

stonecoldstevebernier

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

Almost fair, but where  you when Virtanen bumped Loui for all those  other games this season?

iiic you didn't say a dang thing about that?

Nope I didn't so your correct. At that time it was a case of "is this too much to ask" ( Virtanen being better than a has been 35 year old ) but apparently Virtanen failed to clear the bar after numerous attempts and axe came down. It shouldn't have but that's how far he's fallen. It's a disgrace in all honestly and JV was drafted as the 6th best player in the World, hard to imagine, maybe the scouting guru is not what is advertised, Remember this

Canucks draft meeting: Jake Virtanen - All Access - YouTube

5 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Nope I didn't so your correct. At that time it was a case of "is this too much to ask" ( Virtanen being better than a has been 35 year old ) but apparently Virtanen failed to clear the bar after numerous attempts and axe came down. It shouldn't have but that's how far he's fallen. It's a disgrace in all honestly and JV was drafted as the 6th best player in the World, hard to imagine, maybe the scouting guru is not what is advertised, Remember this

Canucks draft meeting: Jake Virtanen - All Access - YouTube

Nice perspective and beside him Delorme (long time scout or head scout with the Canucks with an atrocious record of scouting); it seems JBs’ first 1st round forward and d man are turning out to be projects (JV & OJ) but he seems to had made up for it with his second 1st rounders of a forward and d man: EP & QH.  Looking in the Canucks website Delorme is our head scout (again) and does anybody know the what is the difference between a professional and an amateur scout ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Nice perspective and beside him Delorme (long time scout or head scout with the Canucks with an atrocious record of scouting); it seems JBs’ first 1st round forward and d man are turning out to be projects (JV & OJ) but he seems to had made up for it with his second 1st rounders of a forward and d man: EP & QH.  Looking in the Canucks website Delorme is our head scout (again) and does anybody know the what is the difference between a professional and an amateur scout ?

First off the title for Delorme and Gradin has been the same for the last twenty years. The Professional scout looks only at Professional player ranking and rating them for Free Agency or trades and maybe pre scouting games. The Amateur scout looks at drafting, CHL, NCAA, SEL etc etc

I suspect Todd Harvey is going to be the new director of scouting ie Bracketts job ??

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Why do you often generalize "fans" when trying to make a point to make yourself sound smart? Usually followed by a weak opinion with poor facts.

Jake and Olli have been the most criticized prospects the Canucks have drafted in the JB regime.

@10pavelbure96 isn't wrong. Olli hasn't looked out of place. Schmidt plays more RD and can easily be moved over to make room for Olli.

He does that to annoy the Canucks fans. He is a blatant troll, who has no respect for truth at all when he is busy crapping on various members of the team, the staff and management.

• Upvote 1

Chatfield has 18 games remaining to be eligible for the minimum requirement to be eligible for expansion.

I am sure they will try to get him to that spot so they have some flexibility in case they don’t have any better options and want to protect Myers.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Delorme was the guy who found Petey and made the case for Petey to everyone else.

Ben Kuzma: Delorme delivered first hard sell to get Pettersson on Canucks' draft radar

Former Canucks winger turned scout was 'a loud voice' in support of landing elite Swede Elias Pettersson.

Author of the article:
Ben Kuzma

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/kuzma-ron-delorme-delivered-first-hard-sell-to-get-elias-pettersson-on-canucks-draft-radar

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Taught it was Gradin his asst head scout that has extensive knowledge of the Swedish leagues.   My main point about Delorme is that he has been with the Canucks in a scouting capacity since the 80's and during that time he has moved up & down the scouting ranks and it probably depends on who is in charge and the circumstances.  For the most part since the Teams' inception there drafting has not been an organizational strenght - prior to JBs' tenure - and that reflects on the GM & scouting dept (imo)...

Edited by ShawnAntoski

39 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Taught it was Gradin his asst head scout that has extensive knowledge of the Swedish leagues.   My main point about Delorme is that he has been with the Canucks in a scouting capacity since the 80's and during that time he has moved up & down the scouting ranks and it probably depends on who is in charge and the circumstances.  For the most part since the Teams' inception there drafting has not been an organizational strenght - prior to JBs' tenure - and that reflects on the GM & scouting dept (imo)...

I think the loss of Judd Brackett is overblown. He is one piece of the puzzle that's our scouting staff. Delorme is our Chief Amateur scout(since 2000-01 and has been a scout since the 80s here) and Gradin is the Associate Chief Amateur scout(since 2011-12 and has been a scout here since the 90s). I would figure Delorme and Gradin are the main amateur scouts who bridge the gap between the rest of the amateur scouting staff and the Director of Amateur Scouting which is now Todd Harvey. I don't doubt the Gradin/Harvey/Delorme all do grunt work themselves as evident of Delorme selling hard on Petey, they just have expanded roles.

Todd Harvey is relatively new blood. He's been a scout for only a few years(since 2017-18 with the Canucks) and was a OHL assistant coach before that, winning an OHL championship with the Guelph Storm in 2013-14. Interesting that Harvey joined us after the 2017 draft. Means he could of had a say on any players from 2018 and on. Like Brackett with us this is Harvey's first Director of Amateur Scouting job.

We don't have a bad scouting staff overall. IDK how much of the process and decision making JB is involved in though. He does have a significant say in what they're looking for since his job is to help shape the roster. It kind of trickles down from him.

• Cheers 1

On 2/7/2021 at 2:33 PM, MrCanuck94 said:

Why do you often generalize "fans" when trying to make a point to make yourself sound smart? Usually followed by a weak opinion with poor facts.

Jake and Olli have been the most criticized prospects the Canucks have drafted in the JB regime.

@10pavelbure96 isn't wrong. Olli hasn't looked out of place. Schmidt plays more RD and can easily be moved over to make room for Olli.

I thought Olli played a really solid game tonight against the Leafs. He should be playing more, and should be in the line up. I hope Green realizes this and he draws in for the series against Calgary. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 2/7/2021 at 1:30 PM, Wilbur said:

Agree that he didn't look too out of place.  I do wonder how much he was protected with matchings though.  I feel Juolevi got more protected in that way than Chatfield.

OJ has had shifts vs Tkachuk and Draisaitl before. I remember that one game vs CGY where he and Tkachuk were in a pretty good battle in front of the net.

He also played 8:46 of PK time in that one game vs MTL when Edler went down early they went 1/9 on the PP. OJ was never scored on in all of that PK time.

He's likely facing lesser competition more often than he is elite though. Greener was probably hoping for a Stecher result with Chatfield and Edler which didn't pan out.

Both players probably have to be eased into facing that sort of competition.

14 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Delorme was second on the hard sell of Petey

Inge Hammarström was long before Delorme.

This is one thing that is embaressing with Benning.

He knows Inges role in getting Petey but gives the only visible credit in an interview to Delorme.

Ask yourself why Benning doesn’t say a word about Inge.

4 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Delorme was second on the hard sell of Petey

Inge Hammarström was long before Delorme.

This is one thing that is embaressing with Benning.

He knows Inges role in getting Petey but gives the only visible credit in an interview to Delorme.

Ask yourself why Benning doesn’t say a word about Inge.

Source?

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Provost said:

Chatfield has 18 games remaining to be eligible for the minimum requirement to be eligible for expansion.

I am sure they will try to get him to that spot so they have some flexibility in case they don’t have any better options and want to protect Myers.

The player used to meet that minimum exposure requirement has to be under contract for 2021/22  by the expansion draft - qualified RFAs don’t satisfy the requirement.  Gives some leverage to his side to get a better deal in time to be exposed for expansion.

Chatfield will be a UFA btw although CapFriendly still shows him as RFA.  He turns 25 in May, will have 3 pro seasons and won’t have played 80 NHL games which makes him a group 6 UFA. 

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Source?

Here is one inteeview with among others, Inge and Brackett time for google translate... 

https://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/nhl/sa-lurade-de-alla-for-att-fa-elias/

Here is another from October 2016 where Inge talks abour watching games in Timrå while visiting family and friends.

https://www.allehanda.se/artikel/nhl-scouten-han-kommer-att-bli-bra-det-kan-ju-stevie-wonder-se

9 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Here is one inteeview with among others, Inge and Brackett time for google translate... 

https://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/nhl/sa-lurade-de-alla-for-att-fa-elias/

Here is another from October 2016 where Inge talks abour watching games in Timrå while visiting family and friends.

https://www.allehanda.se/artikel/nhl-scouten-han-kommer-att-bli-bra-det-kan-ju-stevie-wonder-se

Thanks for those  articles very enlightening. however I don't believe even Inge Hammerstrom would claim full credit. As Lingren noted they have cross over scouting assignments and I'm confident Brackett watched him numerous time. Ron Delorme was very strong on EP too. Do you hear any thing good about Patrik Jonnsen ?

1 minute ago, Fred65 said:

Thanks for those  articles very enlightening. however I don't believe even Inge Hammerstrom would claim full credit. As Lingren noted they have cross over scouting assignments and I'm confident Brackett watched him numerous time. Ron Delorme was very strong on EP too. Do you hear any thing good about Patrik Jonnsen ?

I never said Inge could claim full credit. But he is the one that opened the other scouts eyes.

Without Inge or with Inge in another organisation Petey probably would play somewhere else.

Sorry, not heard anything about Patrik J. 

Edited by Timråfan

3 hours ago, BCNate said:

I don't think Chatfield is anything more than a fringe NHL D.  That is not meant to take anything away from him, but being a 7-8 D who we can call on when needed is probably his ceiling.  I'd play Juolevi over him for sure.  

Problem Nate, Juolevi is up against stronger competition on the left side. Not only is Hughes, Edler and Schmit ahead of him but  I suspect Rathbone might have some thing to say about Juolevi's future. Chatfield is up against Rafferty. Benn who plays the Right side is gone at the end of this season, Harmonic is gone too, so it's getting thinner on the right side which work in to Chatfields benefit.