The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jalen Chatfield | #63 | D

stonecoldstevebernier

38 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Problem Nate, Juolevi is up against stronger competition on the left side. Not only is Hughes, Edler and Schmit ahead of him but  I suspect Rathbone might have some thing to say about Juolevi's future. Chatfield is up against Rafferty. Benn who plays the Right side is gone at the end of this season, Harmonic is gone too, so it's getting thinner on the right side which work in to Chatfields benefit. 

I think you have to find a way to get your best players on the ice, which will mean Schmidt plays on the right side.  I think we have to try him alongside Hughes in the near future, and put Myers with Edler.  Put Benn and Juolevi together as a 3rd pair.

We really, really need to rebuild the right side of our D this offseason.  Badly.

Chatfield should have always been considered number 11 or 12 on our depth chart.

The fact that this coaching staff viewed him more highly than Juolevi, Rathbone, and Brisebois is pretty telling.

He was good for a couple games but never should have stayed in as long as he did.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Chatfield should have always been considered number 11 or 12 on our depth chart.

The fact that this coaching staff viewed him more highly than Juolevi, Rathbone, and Brisebois is pretty telling.

He was good for a couple games but never should have stayed in as long as he did.

Chatfield = righty. Those other guys = lefties. That likely has FAR more to do with him playing than anything else.

And I'd put Chatfield roughly on par with Brisebois FWIW. Rathbone certainly has a higher ceiling but is nowhere as near NHL ready/defensively sound.

Either way, a likely 6-8 D, at his peak is not remotely worth the vitriol he's getting (or Green for playing him) considering he's a rookie playing, surrounded in a dumpster fire of a season start for this team.

Just now, aGENT said:

Chatfield = righty. Those other guys = lefties. That likely has FAR more to do with him playing than anything else.

And I'd put Chatfield roughly on par with Brisebois FWIW. Rathbone certainly has a higher ceiling but is nowhere as near NHL ready/defensively sound.

Either way, a likely 6-8 D, at his peak is not remotely worth the vitriol he's getting (or Green for playing him) considering he's a rookie playing, surrounded in a dumpster fire of a season start for this team.

Myers, Schmidt, and Benn can player either side.

Juolevi and Brisebois both should have rotated in and out regularly.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Myers, Schmidt, and Benn can player either side.

Juolevi and Brisebois both should have rotated in and out regularly.

Juolevi has been. Brisebois isn't any better than Chatfield. A few games ago everyone was saying how relatively steady Chatfield has looked, good skating etc. Much ado about nothing.

Mountain. Molehill.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Juolevi has been. Brisebois isn't any better than Chatfield. A few games ago everyone was saying how relatively steady Chatfield has looked, good skating etc. Much ado about nothing.

Mountain. Molehill.

Juolevi sat for 7 games after he scored his first goal. Hardly regular.

You don’t know that Brisebois isn’t better than Chatfield, that’s making a big assumption. Just like nobody knew Chatfield would impress early, none of us know where Brisebois is at until he plays.

Seems to me it’s worth a try considering we have the worst goals against in the league. Both Juolevi and Brisebois were drafted for their calm play in their own end. I believe Brisebois has also been compared to Tanev by management. Exactly what this team needs right now.

Edited by DeNiro

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Juolevi sat for 7 games after he scored his first goal. Hardly regular.

You don’t know that Brisebois isn’t better than Chatfield, that’s making a big assumption. Just like nobody knew Chatfield would impress early, none of us know where Brisebois is at until he plays.

Seems to me it’s worth a try considering we have the worst goals against in the league. Both Juolevi and Brisebois were drafted for their calm play in their own end. I believe Brisebois has also been compared to Tanev by management. Exactly what this team needs right now.

Clearly your right. Step one, play Brisebois. Step two, win cup.

Carry on...

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Carry on...

Riiiight. 

Cause playing Chatfield top 4 minutes was clearly working. :picard:

I don’t see any reason why playing Brisebois (who is now 23) would be a bad thing. Silly why this is even being debated. We need to be developing young defenseman and you don’t do that by not giving them any games.

• Either way, a likely 6-8 D, at his peak is not remotely worth the vitriol he's getting (or Green for playing him) considering he's a rookie playing, surrounded in a dumpster fire of a season start for this team.

Short memories, and like Virtanen lack of consistency with their message :)

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Riiiight. 

I don’t see any reason why playing Brisebois (who is now 23) would be a bad thing. Silly why this is even being debated. We need to be developing young defenseman and you don’t do that by not giving them any games.

I'll take things I never said that for $500 Alex?

Chatfield played 147 AHL games, and scored a total of 18 points. I don’t think there are too many players with so little impact offensively that have gotten more than a cup of coffee in the NHL in the last decade. But Chatfield has played 9 games, and 129 total minutes of icetime.

Seems crazy that Benning thought he’d be an effective depth guy. 

Edited by D-Money

47 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Chatfield played 147 AHL games, and scored a total of 18 points. I don’t think there are too many players with so little impact offensively that have gotten more than a cup of coffee in the NHL in the last decade. But Chatfield has played 9 games, and 129 total minutes of icetime.

I said the same thing during the offseason, and was told Chatfield was the second coming of Chris Tanev

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, BCNate said:

I think you have to find a way to get your best players on the ice, which will mean Schmidt plays on the right side.  I think we have to try him alongside Hughes in the near future, and put Myers with Edler.  Put Benn and Juolevi together as a 3rd pair.

We really, really need to rebuild the right side of our D this offseason.  Badly.

Yeah. The focus on this upcoming draft has got to be drafting on defenseman, especially RHD's. We have no one except Rafferty, and Woo, and that's about it. It's probably the weakest link in the organization in terms of position. How does Nashville do it year after year where they're drafting fantastic defensemen??? 

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

I think in a bottom pairing role, Chatfield can be decent. He's only gotten into trouble when he's playing further up the lineup. He's not ready for a role like that yet. Maybe never, but as of right now, he's a bottom pairing defenseman. With that said, I prefer Juolevi. He's played pretty good when he's in, especially the last game on Monday against Toronto. He actually was the few players who hit Matthews. LOL and then drew a penalty cause Matthews cross checked him for the hit. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Riiiight. 

I actually don't understand why Brisebois was never able to crack the Canucks' line up. Is he that bad, or are the Canucks just really good on the backend? 

Because I don't think that's the case now with their backend. 

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

Carry on...

Would not hurt the team to see what we got in Brisebois. He's been cooking for a number of years. He's still young at 23 years old. 

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If he pans out it will be more along the levels of Stecher.

I don't know if Chatfield will be anything more than a top 6 D.

Yeah I think he's close to his ceiling and tops out as a 6/7 guy. Not bad at all for an undrafted FA prospect.

But hey if he surprises and becomes anything close to a Tanev or Bieksa, I won't complain :lol:

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Would not hurt the team to see what we got in Brisebois. He's been cooking for a number of years. He's still young at 23 years old. 

I like Brisebois but it's going to be tough to make the squad with Hughes, Juolevi and Rathbone ahead of him and Edler still with the team.

16 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

I like Brisebois but it's going to be tough to make the squad with Hughes, Juolevi and Rathbone ahead of him and Edler still with the team.

Edler is going to eventually be a bottom pairing defenseman, maybe even as early as next season. He's as slow as molasses at this point in his career. 

The fact that he's still playing top 4 minutes on the team tells you that we don't have anyone else coming up the pipeline that could replace him right now. If we did, he wouldn't be playing top 4 minutes, or be paid like one. 

He'll take a cheap deal to stay with the team. He's in his final years as a player, and he loves the city too much to move at this point in his career most likely. I think we can retain his services for pretty cheap.