The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jalen Chatfield | #63 | D

stonecoldstevebernier

9 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Would not hurt the team to see what we got in Brisebois. He's been cooking for a number of years. He's still young at 23 years old. 

16 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'll take things I never said that for $500 Alex?

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I thought Chatfield struggled a fair bit defensively tonight, but his pass to Hoagie for the game-tying goal was real nice. Great first NHL point.

He did have his struggles... especially early on. But while his decision making seems questionable, he does seem to move the puck quickly and plays with a surprising amount of poise.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Congratulations to Jalen on recording his first regular-season NHL point. He became the 525th player in Canucks history to record a point.

That was a nice and patient set-up for Chatfield over to Höglander! 

As others have mentioned above, he will need to continue to work on his defensive-zone play and breakouts, but for a FA overager, he has been a solid addition to the Comets lineup for the last few seasons and someone who can play transitional minutes as a 6th/7th defenseman here and there.  

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BCNate said:

I'm not sold on Chatfield.  I didn't like his game last night at all.  The only thing keeping him in the lineup is that he is a right shot, but I'd far rather see what Rafferty can do.  

He had some questionable moments, for sure. Overall, I think he (or will be) capable of playing a bottom pairing role due to the general poise I mentioned above and the fact he plays his butt off, but that's about it. I honestly don't see much upside and would also rather see what Rafferty can do. I mean, given how Rafferty managed in the AHL, he must be able to translate at least *some* of that to the NHL level, I would imagine. He's also the bigger of the two - though I'm not certain he really uses the extra weight to his advantage.

3 hours ago, BCNate said:

I'm not sold on Chatfield.  I didn't like his game last night at all.  The only thing keeping him in the lineup is that he is a right shot, but I'd far rather see what Rafferty can do.  

Hard to judge Rafferty, we never see him. He has achieved every thing a prospect can do in the AHL. He's an UFA this summers so what are his options.

Check if there's interest from other teams

Sign an AHL contract for better money

Sign to a KHL team

I don't believe he or his agent will be enamoured with Vcr, he's had 1 game

11 minutes ago, kloubek said:

He had some questionable moments, for sure. Overall, I think he (or will be) capable of playing a bottom pairing role due to the general poise I mentioned above and the fact he plays his butt off, but that's about it. I honestly don't see much upside and would also rather see what Rafferty can do. I mean, given how Rafferty managed in the AHL, he must be able to translate at least *some* of that to the NHL level, I would imagine. He's also the bigger of the two - though I'm not certain he really uses the extra weight to his advantage.

Chatfield is not error free but it strikes me that the errors are ones that can be corrected with time and experience. This summer Vcr has 4 D'men who are UFA plus Rafferty, so opportunity exist

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly, don't see what management sees in Chatfield at all. He's had good moments and it's awesome that he's made it this far as an undrafted FA, but it seems like we're playing him a lot more than we should.

Ceiling is maybe a 6-8 on a bottom half team. I may be wrong but seems like whoever he's paired with struggles most of the time.

Baffles me that we've played him so much over Rafferty.

Edited by MrCanuck94

On 4/21/2021 at 1:03 PM, Fred65 said:

Hard to judge Rafferty, we never see him. He has achieved every thing a prospect can do in the AHL. He's an UFA this summers so what are his options.

Check if there's interest from other teams

Sign an AHL contract for better money

Sign to a KHL team

I don't believe he or his agent will be enamoured with Vcr, he's had 1 game

Yeah, Rafferty is still an unkown lottery ticket that will play his @$$ of once he gets some minutes; good chance he leaves, would had been nice to see him play more than one game before he leaves.   

1 hour ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Honestly, don't see what management sees in Chatfield at all. He's had good moments and it's awesome that he's made it this far as an undrafted FA, but it seems like we're playing him a lot more than we should.

Ceiling is maybe a 6-8 on a bottom half team. I may be wrong but seems like whoever he's paired with struggles most of the time.

Yeah, I would had preferred Rafferty over JC but the Staff chose to go with JC.   

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, MrCanuck94 said:

I would tend to agree. I think the coaches were hoping he'd turn into Tanev 2.0, but that doesn't seem to be happening, and Chatfield isn't of "prospect" age anymore, having just turned 25 years old.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

I like Chatter but I agree with your assessment - his ceiling is likely a 7th or 8th defenseman.

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I would tend to agree. I think the coaches were hoping he'd turn into Tanev 2.0, but that doesn't seem to be happening, and Chatfield isn't of "prospect" age anymore, having just turned 25 years old.

Chatfield will be a UFA at the end of the season and will not, IMO, be re-signed to a two way contract. He may still be offered an AHL only deal with the Abby team as they will need to fill out the roster for the coming season and he has been a decent player at that level.

Brogan Rafferty will also be a UFA but might get a two way contract either with the Canucks or with some other team.

Edited by Kootenay Gold

Didn't watch today's game because of work, but noticed Chatfield went -3 to put him at -11 in 18 games on the year, -7 in the last two combined. Was he at fault / out of place today or just a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong times?

Overall I didn't see much to get excited about from Chatfield this season, would've much rather seen more of Juolevi or Rafferty. Even getting Bowey a game would've been nice. If they want to bring him back as AHL depth next year that's cool but I don't view him as an NHL player going forward.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Didn't watch today's game because of work, but noticed Chatfield went -3 to put him at -11 in 18 games on the year, -7 in the last two combined. Was he at fault / out of place today or just a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong times?

Overall I didn't see much to get excited about from Chatfield this season, would've much rather seen more of Juolevi or Rafferty. Even getting Bowey a game would've been nice. If they want to bring him back as AHL depth next year that's cool but I don't view him as an NHL player going forward.

Chatfield plays RD, does he not? Juolevi is a LD.

D can play their off sides, but Green doesn't seem like the kind of coach to do that unless he has to

1 hour ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

I dont see much in him either tbh. Would have liked to see Bowey for a game or two.

It’s interesting that Chatfield is a UFA according to Capfriendly. Didn’t play enough games before age 25. I believe Rafferty is in that group as well.

Don’t really understand what they see in him. Right handed shot trumps lefties playing the offside. That’s all I really gather 

6 hours ago, Devron44 said:

It’s interesting that Chatfield is a UFA according to Capfriendly. Didn’t play enough games before age 25. I believe Rafferty is in that group as well.

Don’t really understand what they see in him. Right handed shot trumps lefties playing the offside. That’s all I really gather 

Yeah I dont see him as a true nhler. He and brock got caught back defending a rush at one point and I thought to myself hes the 2nd best Defesman on the defendign the rush right now. He completely ignored the pass. Left a man wide open and the puck found the back of the net. 

Same as the first week of the season. Sign an ahl contract or move on. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1