The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jalen Chatfield | #63 | D

stonecoldstevebernier

I've watched Chatfield probably 5-6 times now. He's always thinking the game the simple and effective way. He battles really hard, he simply outworks people for loose pucks quite a bit. His skating is pretty good in terms of speed and acceleration. There were a couple times in this game where he got the puck off the faceoff in the defensive zone and he just took off with it, even when he was shorthanded. There were some times when he mishandled the puck, but I think I noticed those plays more simply because he was on the ice a lot. 

I think he'll have a good 2-3 years in Utica before he challenges for a spot out of camp. He'll probably need some time to figure out how to play against men. He can't win board battles the same way that he does as an older player in Junior. Net front battles are also even harder for a younger player who's not huge in the first place. I'm not too sure how Utica's defense is shaping up, but I could see a top pairing of McEneny - Chatfield in a year or two. If he plays with Brisebois in his first year, I wouldn't be surprised to see them get more minutes than some people expect. 

Great pickup for us. 

Do players in major junior leagues usually get rings when they win a championship or is that dependent on the owners to get them one like in the NHL?  I'd imagine that most likely there's an occasional owner that would have a hard time affording rings for all of the players, coaches, etc.

8 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Do players in major junior leagues usually get rings when they win a championship or is that dependent on the owners to get them one like in the NHL?  I'd imagine that most likely there's an occasional owner that would have a hard time affording rings for all of the players, coaches, etc.

I forget the name of the place but the company that designed the team Canada rings and the Cavs. Championship ringsis in Windsor so I assume they'd cut them a deal. Plus boughner and rychel should have the cheddar to buy the team rings lol. I'd say 73% chance they get hardware.

Not sure how it goes for teams in other situations.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I've watched Chatfield probably 5-6 times now. He's always thinking the game the simple and effective way. He battles really hard, he simply outworks people for loose pucks quite a bit. His skating is pretty good in terms of speed and acceleration. There were a couple times in this game where he got the puck off the faceoff in the defensive zone and he just took off with it, even when he was shorthanded. There were some times when he mishandled the puck, but I think I noticed those plays more simply because he was on the ice a lot. 

I think he'll have a good 2-3 years in Utica before he challenges for a spot out of camp. He'll probably need some time to figure out how to play against men. He can't win board battles the same way that he does as an older player in Junior. Net front battles are also even harder for a younger player who's not huge in the first place. I'm not too sure how Utica's defense is shaping up, but I could see a top pairing of McEneny - Chatfield in a year or two. If he plays with Brisebois in his first year, I wouldn't be surprised to see them get more minutes than some people expect. 

Great pickup for us. 

Chatfield had a standout game. Standout tourney. My concern with his game is that it seems to focus on anticipating puck movement. The NHL will be faster and bigger so his pro transition will likely require adjustment. I did not see a lot of board battle or physical defending of the net front. His first pass and skating speed is excellent.

At 190 pounds his size is not that bad. Can he beat out a Stecher? They play the same kind of game other than Stecher seems to be more physical.

11 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

I don't watch enough OHL games to have a favourite team.  Even if there was a Swedish team in the league, I'd be fine if they won it.

I'm not fishing.  I'm just asking our resident USA...USA...USA expert an honest question.  B)

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Chatfield had a standout game. Standout tourney. My concern with his game is that it seems to focus on anticipating puck movement. The NHL will be faster and bigger so his pro transition will likely require adjustment. I did not see a lot of board battle or physical defending of the net front. His first pass and skating speed is excellent.

At 190 pounds his size is not that bad. Can he beat out a Stecher? They play the same kind of game other than Stecher seems to be more physical.

Yup, it'll take him some time to adjust his game to the next level. It won't be as easy for him to make the simple plays and defend effectively. I think his anticipation is a good thing, but again it'll take some time to learn to read the faster pro game. 

Considering that Stecher "made the team" out of camp, they still sent him down, mainly because they could.  Would have to figure the same would happen with Chatfield, even if he had a Stecher-like camp.  Certainly no rush and all the benefit to have him do at least a year with the Comets.  Looking like a good thing the Canucks signed him when they did.

6 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

according to Bo, he got one when he won with the London Knights for the OHL championship.

Jalen has easily made it easy to forget that we let go Neill and Olsen. 

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

according to Bo, he got one when he won with the London Knights for the OHL championship.

Jalen has easily made it easy to forget that we let go Neill and Olsen. 

The question one should ask is whether he is a better prospect than Neil and Olson.  In my mind (no jokes about my mind) he is the better prospect.  They only have so many spots on defence in Utica.  Jimbo has to determine who he thinks will make Utica and have room to put those he wants there.  In the next 2 years Jim will have a lot of his picks in our system.  Does anyone know if there is a replacement for Alaska yet?

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

I'm not fishing.  I'm just asking our resident USA...USA...USA expert an honest question.  B)

Suuuuure you weren't. ;)  I did give you a serious answer to the question though just to cover my bases.  To expand on that answer, I'm more interested in particular OHL players than I am specific teams.

• Upvote 1

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

Suuuuure you weren't. ;)  I did give you a serious answer to the question though just to cover my bases.  To expand on that answer, I'm more interested in particular OHL players than I am specific teams.

Me too.  Vilardi looked pretty good.  I thought Chicago (the hated beggars) got a steal with DeBrincat.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, leomessi said:

there was a quote on twitter today or yesterday " don't be surprised if chatfield makes the canucks"   cant remember exactly who I am quoting

While Jordan Subban is watching Ryan Ellis to understand how to emulate him, Chatfield is already playing like him. Stuff phone books under your socks and step in front of everything. If there's room in front of you skate and always have your eyes up the ice in case you see a better option. I think Subban can be that player too and he's going to be fun to watch in Utica next season.

The salary cap era is a whole new hockey game and most man games lost last season is going to make Benning take a chance on more veteran type players like Holm. Having this kid in our prospect pool is a big deal. Especially if we bagged Rocky Thompson as coach for Utica and were able to draft Vilardi..

• Upvote 1

I  don\t think JS is the same kind of player as JC.  I think that heis more comparible to Tanev with maybe a little more offensive potential.  Mind you, just because a kid has offensive potential in Jr. or even College, doesn't mean he will be that kind of player in the NHL.  RE is undersized like JS and it makes sense that JB told him to watch Ryan Ellis.  I think JC maybe watching some one else.  Also, I think he is going to have to work an being a little more physical in his game in order to make it in the NHL.  I think that is an ajustment for most young defencemen.  I like how TS did that.

Edited by dpn1

• 3 months later...