The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jalen Chatfield | #63 | D

stonecoldstevebernier

10 hours ago, J.R. said:

Didn't see the game, what happened? Serious? 

Can't remember the player. But he blindsided Jalen with a dirty hit to the head and got a 5 and a game. Chatfield laid on the ice in the same position for several minutes. Looked to be a conky for sure. However Jalen returned for the 2nd period! All appears good

3 minutes ago, Virtanen The Great said:

Can't remember the player. But he blindsided Jalen with a dirty hit to the head and got a 5 and a game. Chatfield laid on the ice in the same position for several minutes. Looked to be a conky for sure. However Jalen returned for the 2nd period! All appears good

Phew! Thanks.

Kid looked like he's got a shot at making the NHL in a couple years IMO, to the point I even signed him in my fantasy keeper league. Hate for him to get set back (or worse), especially from a dirty play.

Found Ryan Biech's tweet on it:

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Phew! Thanks.

Kid looked like he's got a shot at making the NHL in a couple years IMO, to the point I even signed him in my fantasy keeper league. Hate for him to get set back (or worse), especially from a dirty play.

Chatfield seemed to have a target on his back all night, I really liked his game. I see shades of (and I do mean shades not saying he will be anywhere near as good) Chris Chelios in his play. He's got some decent skill and plays with an edge...like the way he fits with Olli Juolevi compliment each other very well...

Edited by JamesBlondage

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Phew! Thanks.

Nice.  I couldn't find a video. Thanks for posting that J.R.! Ya I Def am looking forward to seeing him improve as a player. As he looks to be a nice signing for JB. 

9 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Tanev with a shot. Put on some muscle kid you'll beat out a few other prime prospects.

Was the top d-prospect in the first 2 games IMO. Agree that he has to fill out. Watching his game and wondering why he was not drafted or signed by another club. 

On 09/09/2017 at 10:18 AM, JamesBlondage said:

Chatfield seemed to have a target on his back all night, I really liked his game. I see shades of (and I do mean shades not saying he will be anywhere near as good) Chris Chelios in his play. He's got some decent skill and plays with an edge...like the way he fits with Olli Juolevi compliment each other very well...

I thought he played a lot like Stetcher actually.  Let's see if he jumps over Subban in the depth chart the way Stetch and McEneny did.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Was the top d-prospect in the first 2 games IMO. Agree that he has to fill out. Watching his game and wondering why he was not drafted or signed by another club. 

some guys are just late bloomers.......that's why I really wish it was a 20 yr old draft.  Late bloomers get a chance to show, JR clubs benefit from keeping guys until they are done JR and drafted players can go right to their pro careers as soon as they are drafted. 

• Upvote 3

A really good signing by Benning. He does a lot of things well, and his shots seem to find their way at least to the goalie and are on net; not someone shin guards (ehem, cough, cough, Edler) or easily deflected before getting there. I'd like to see him and Brisebois paired in Utica; their games seem like they could be complimentary.

22 hours ago, stawns said:

some guys are just late bloomers.......that's why I really wish it was a 20 yr old draft.  Late bloomers get a chance to show, JR clubs benefit from keeping guys until they are done JR and drafted players can go right to their pro careers as soon as they are drafted. 

I completely agree. I've never really understood the "either NHL or CHL" thing. I mean I guess for the Crosby's and McDavid's of the world it's great as they immediately can jump in with the best, but for 99% of the rest of the players drafted it doesn't make a difference regardless. Strange rule. 

• Upvote 1

I don't think Jalen Chatfield will necessarily crack the roster right out of training camp but I do think he's putting himself in a position where, much like Troy Stecher, he could be the first call up during the course of the season. He's the rookie (along with Michael Carcone) who I think have legit shots of surprising at training camp.

47 minutes ago, Quantum said:

I don't think Jalen Chatfield will necessarily crack the roster right out of training camp but I do think he's putting himself in a position where, much like Troy Stecher, he could be the first call up during the course of the season. He's the rookie (along with Michael Carcone) who I think have legit shots of surprising at training camp.

I'm not sure he will see any NHL action this year.  With the signings of Del Zotto and Wiercoch, that bumps a few other guys down to the AHL.  Pedan and Biega will, alost surely be in Utica and be the first call ups.  McEneny (depending on his camp) will likely start in Vancouver (waivers) and if not, will definitely be the first call up.  I was very impressed with JC, but there's no need to throw him into a high pressure situation this season.  I know people are crying about the vet signings that JB made, but this is why......to let the kids develop without pressure.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ThaShady1 said:

I completely agree. I've never really understood the "either NHL or CHL" thing. I mean I guess for the Crosby's and McDavid's of the world it's great as they immediately can jump in with the best, but for 99% of the rest of the players drafted it doesn't make a difference regardless. Strange rule. 

and it sucks drafting a kid at 18 and then having to sit for 2 years before he's even eligible to play pro hockey.  

3 hours ago, stawns said:

and it sucks drafting a kid at 18 and then having to sit for 2 years before he's even eligible to play pro hockey.  

For sure. And while there is great coaches in the CHL it's not pro level fitness training and dieting. Lose a lot of time during a pretty important growth period, mentally and physically. 

6 hours ago, ThaShady1 said:

For sure. And while there is great coaches in the CHL it's not pro level fitness training and dieting. Lose a lot of time during a pretty important growth period, mentally and physically. 

If we draft for character and ability, this shouldn't really be a problem.

Something I'm irrationally worried about is the perceived logjam that'll develop over the next few years if we keep this up, though. It's like my BeAGM modes. Too many high potential player forced out of the lineup by assistant coaches because there are slightly better players (right now) ahead of them. Then those players lose out on development time. Also, if you add in the human element, it'd be hard to see so much talent ahead of you and figure you still have a chance.

I hope he gets a bit more time to play with Juolevi because they would make a great pair going forward. Would like a bit more physicality and muscle on that pairing but they'd be the perfect blend of skating, skill, offence and defence.

As they're both breaking into the NHL though I'd rather see them both paired with a stronger defenceman, maybe Edler for Chatfield and Gudbranson for Juolevi to protect them a bit physically because they're both still quite weedy.

6 hours ago, NameFaker said:

If we draft for character and ability, this shouldn't really be a problem.

Something I'm irrationally worried about is the perceived logjam that'll develop over the next few years if we keep this up, though. It's like my BeAGM modes. Too many high potential player forced out of the lineup by assistant coaches because there are slightly better players (right now) ahead of them. Then those players lose out on development time. Also, if you add in the human element, it'd be hard to see so much talent ahead of you and figure you still have a chance.

That's easy to say, but an 18 year old to a 20 year old typically are very different people. I know I was. 18 you're likely still living at home, in high school, whatever. Still a kid for the most part. At 20 typically you're on your own, working for a living, paying bills, etc. 

Anyhow my point agreeing with Stawns is that having the draft at 20 takes away a lot of the guesswork with players, maintains the integrity of the CHL, and allows players to move directly into a pro career after junior. 

Edited by ThaShady1