The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jalen Chatfield | #63 | D

stonecoldstevebernier

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

If Benning plans on having Chatfield and Juolevi in the lineup next season, what does that mean for the D?

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Tanev

Juolevi - Stecher

Chatfield

Benn and Fantenberg leaving? Did he mention Rafferty? If not, then he could be on the way out. 

He did.  Couldn't remember his name at first.    Mentioned Juolevi, Chatfield, Rathbone and Rafferty.

2 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

The coaches like to have an eight man D for practice reasons so I would think if your prediction of the lines plays out, Chatfield and Rafferty would be the 7th and 8th D men and slot in when injuries occur. Even if there is an NHL season this winter, there is no guarantee that there will be an AHL one. If that scenario comes to fruition; IMO we might see the NHL increase the number of players allowed on the roster but still limit the game roster to its current state.

Have a taxi squad, like baseball this year.

• Cheers 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

I agree, though the LD spots are filling up quickly.

NHL:

Hughes

Edler

Benn/Fanta

Juolevi

AHL:

Rathbone

Brisebois

Teves

With Utunen (and hopefully Tryamkin) coming in soon.

Yeah with Breezer back and Woo/Rathbome added Utica would still have a decent D-core if they play. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

I agree, though the LD spots are filling up quickly.

NHL:

Hughes

Edler

Benn/Fanta

Juolevi

AHL:

Rathbone

Brisebois

Teves

With Utunen (and hopefully Tryamkin) coming in soon.

I think Utunen is having issues being prominent on his team in Finland, so while I've enjoyed keeping up with him, I think a move up to the AHL is pretty unlikely. 

7 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Gotta believe that with Tanev and Stecher gone, Chatfield is the next one up on the right side.  Wonder if that is JB's succession plan here should the struggle to find depth on that right side.

Or maybe Rafferty.  Comments are made about defense being maybe a weakness, but here's his own take on that .......

“So, I think part of the reason why some people may look at my defensive game as a liability is because there’s really no room for that argument on the offensive side of my game this year. They don’t have an argument for the offensive side so they try to find something on the defensive side that they don’t like. I think I’m a well-rounded defenceman and I take pride in my defensive game. I continue to work on it every year and I think every season that goes by I’ve adjusted, watched video, asked the coaching staff and other players what I need to do to get better on the defensive side of the puck. Every year I see progression so I’m going to keep doing what I’m doing.”

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

With how this offseason has gone, it looks like Rafferty and/or Chatfield will be in the lineup to fill the RD spots. That's a lot of pressure on 2 guys who I personally feel aren't quite ready yet. Rafferty looks very promising after a great first year in Utica but why rush him. Chatfield, on the other hand, I'm still very unsure about. Maybe I just haven't seen enough of him, but to me there really is nothing about his game to get excited about at all.

3 minutes ago, Kevo882 said:

With how this offseason has gone, it looks like Rafferty and/or Chatfield will be in the lineup to fill the RD spots. That's a lot of pressure on 2 guys who I personally feel aren't quite ready yet. Rafferty looks very promising after a great first year in Utica but why rush him. Chatfield, on the other hand, I'm still very unsure about. Maybe I just haven't seen enough of him, but to me there really is nothing about his game to get excited about at all.

Chatfield and Rafferty are total opposites IMO. Chatfield plays a style similar to what Tanev did. Very little in the way of offense but reasonably sound defensively. Rafferty, on the other hand, is much more offensively minded and appears to be a fluid skater that can either pass or carry the puck up ice with ease (at least in the AHL) I suppose it all comes down to who will fit the best in the new defensive core. In this new pandemic reality we just might see three rookies slotting in 6th,7th and 8th spots and getting limited playing time this season; especially if there is no AHL season.

15 minutes ago, Kevo882 said:

He's not an exciting player but he gets it done. 

He's hit the age though, he's gotta prove it now or be an AHL/Euro pro (which IMO is still a huge accomplishment).

He's responsible, aware and has a decent first pass from what I recall, so let's see him more this year.

There's no point in developing guys if you don't push them at the end. If he falls flat so be it. 

As far a Rafferty goes, I haven't seen enough of him in the NHL to say, but being able to play actual defense in the NHL seems like the top priority and I'm thinking Chatfield has the edge there.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Chatfield and Rafferty are total opposites IMO. Chatfield plays a style similar to what Tanev did. Very little in the way of offense but reasonably sound defensively. Rafferty, on the other hand, is much more offensively minded and appears to be a fluid skater that can either pass or carry the puck up ice with ease (at least in the AHL) I suppose it all comes down to who will fit the best in the new defensive core. In this new pandemic reality we just might see three rookies slotting in 6th,7th and 8th spots and getting limited playing time this season; especially if there is no AHL season.

If there's no AHL season then that's fine. If there is, there's no point in having those guys in those roles getting extremely limited playing time therefore doing nothing for their development. I'd much rather have them playing top pair minutes in Utica if there is a season. We'll see...

On 10/10/2020 at 1:23 AM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Gotta believe that with Tanev and Stecher gone, Chatfield is the next one up on the right side.  Wonder if that is JB's succession plan here should the struggle to find depth on that right side.

I’ve heard that internally the team is really high on Chatfield, so it’s quite possible he’s actually penciled in right now as the “next up” RHD, especially with Schmidt and Myers as the top two on that side.

Had we acquired more of a pure defensive/shutdown Dman, instead of Schmidt, I’d expect Rafferty to have an edge, however.

(EDIT: This isn’t to say Schmidt can’t be a shutdown D. He can, and has, to great success, with Vegas. He’s just not built in the mold of a purely “defensive” defenceman. He’s a two-way D who defends just fine, but brings more value in his ability to move the puck and push play up ice, and also defend the play before things actually get into his own zone.)

The Canucks really seem to like both of them, but I don’t think most Canucks fans appreciate just how highly Chatfield is regarded by many inside the organization. Fans certainly know about Rafferty, and pencil him in all the time as the “next” option on the right side, but it’s much closer than that, between Rafferty and Chatfield, from everything I’ve heard.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Kevo882 said:

If there's no AHL season then that's fine. If there is, there's no point in having those guys in those roles getting extremely limited playing time therefore doing nothing for their development. I'd much rather have them playing top pair minutes in Utica if there is a season. We'll see...

I would also prefer them to be getting a lot of playing time in the AHL but with a flat cap there is a very real possibility that a lot of AHL players on a lot of teams will be playing in the NHL. In Vancouver's case a lot depends on whether JB can make a few more roster moves to make room for another quality D man under the cap. I'm not sure that is going to be achievable. Still; I think at least two of.. Juolevi, Sautner, Chatfield, Brisbois and Rafferty will be suiting up for the Canucks this coming season

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Jalen Chatfield turned 24 in May. I think it's perfectly reasonable that he gets a legitimate shot in the NHL this season and having him be the 3rd RD is not a bad place for him to start/be tried out at. When we signed him, I believe the comparison was that he was like a young Chris Tanev. With Tanev gone now, it's time to see if Chatfield really is a young Tanev or not and see if he can be a defensive defenseman at the NHL level. I think he's got the tools to do it.

With the flat cap, I think this is the perfect time to see which fringe NHLers can really stick in the NHL and remove the fringe tag from themselves. Outside our elite prospects like Quinn Hughes, Elias Pettersson, Brock Boeser, Thatcher Demko -- the Canucks haven't given a lot of our more less rounded prospects (like Chatfield, Rafferty, Lind, etc) chances to make the NHL.

I believe we'll see a split between Chatfield and Rafferty in terms of playing time -- especially if there isn't an AHL season and possibly expanded rosters. Chatfield and Rafferty at 24 & 25 are perfectly reasonable options as the 6th & 7th d-men on the roster.

Edited by Quantum
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

21 hours ago, Quantum said:

With the flat cap, I think this is the perfect time to see which fringe NHLers can really stick in the NHL and remove the fringe tag from themselves. Outside our elite prospects like Quinn Hughes, Elias Pettersson, Brock Boeser, Thatcher Demko -- the Canucks haven't given a lot of our more less rounded prospects (like Chatfield, Rafferty, Lind, etc) chances to make the NHL.

This is spot on. Canucks fans lost their heads it seems when it became apparent that we might have an opening or two for our young guys.  

This upcoming season is the best opportunity in a while that we’ll have to find out what we have in the following guys: 

Rafferty, Sautner, Chatfield, Brisebois, Juolevi.  

That’s a lot of d-men that need to sink or swim and I’d love it if we didn’t add any more veteran dmen.  Chances are fairly good that one of them will become the next Tanev or a bigger version of Stecher, but we have to give them a chance.