The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jalen Chatfield | #63 | D

stonecoldstevebernier

3 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

This is spot on. Canucks fans lost their heads it seems when it became apparent that we might have an opening or two for our young guys.  

This upcoming season is the best opportunity in a while that we’ll have to find out what we have in the following guys: 

Rafferty, Sautner, Chatfield, Brisebois, Juolevi.  

That’s a lot of d-men that need to sink or swim and I’d love it if we didn’t add any more veteran dmen.  Chances are fairly good that one of them will become the next Tanev or a bigger version of Stecher, but we have to give them a chance. 

I am totally on board with that in fact I wish that during the season we gave more chances to let guys have a crack at the lineup 

seems like Green is like Willie was .... only loves the “foundational” vets 

Edited by canuck2288

This year is huge for guys on the fringe like a poster said earlier. A chance to get some minutes with a lot of teams tight against the cap. I bet a bunch of owners are hurting with their other businesses during this pandemic and will be tightening up the spending everywhere. That opens up spots for min wage deals all over. 

On 10/15/2020 at 5:31 PM, canuck2288 said:

I am totally on board with that in fact I wish that during the season we gave more chances to let guys have a crack at the lineup 

seems like Green is like Willie was .... only loves the “foundational” vets 

I don't see much similarity between Green and old Willie.  

Green is also really familiar with players in the system and had a crowded house in Vancouver with too many lower pairing players subject to waivers taking up the usual spots to open up for rookies.  

Beyond that, Petey, Brock, Gaudette, Hughes and Demko all came into the NHL under Greens watch, so you cannot say he doesn't play rookies.  

If anything JB has messed up his player turnover timeline by drafting too well.  3 Calder nominations in a row.  Podz, Hogz and Jurmo on the horizon and a really good goalie prospect in Depietro.  

Forcing him to pay for vets to take up the bottom spots on vet salarys, made worse by our long decline during the Sedin era.  

Sure, play rookies in the bottom lines and pairings too, that in the Edmonton way, not sure thats the way to develop players too good for the AHL.  

JV and McCann were mishandled, but since then, prospect development appears to be extremely good.  

This put his plan up by 1 year.  Now he still has the Louis dead cap of 9m on the books while needing to sign two of the top 5 young talents in the NHL next offseason.  

At least it won't be boring. 

So seeing the inverse approach taken this year with bottom pairing guys is very much good with me.  The only real risk atm is whether Chatfield, Rafferty or another D man are able to take RHD minutes left vacant by Stecher.  

They are all properly seasoned in the system and the AHL.  Getting one more cheap vet is proffered, but we have 5 to 6 D men on the Farm who want that spot too.  

Camp is going to be intense, win a spot and you can avoid riding a bus during a pandemic.  Enjoy Utica LE.  

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Green is also really familiar with players in the system and had a crowded house in Vancouver with too many lower pairing players subject to waivers taking up the usual spots to open up for rookies.  

Beyond that, Petey, Brock, Gaudette, Hughes and Demko all came into the NHL under Greens watch, so you cannot say he doesn't play rookies.  

If anything JB has messed up his player turnover timeline by drafting too well.  3 Calder nominations in a row.  Podz, Hogz and Jurmo on the horizon and a really good goalie prospect in Depietro.  

Forcing him to pay for vets to take up the bottom spots on vet salarys, made worse by our long decline during the Sedin era.  

Sure, play rookies in the bottom lines and pairings too, that in the Edmonton way, not sure thats the way to develop players too good for the AHL.  

JV and McCann were mishandled, but since then, prospect development appears to be extremely good.  

This put his plan up by 1 year.  Now he still has the Louis dead cap of 9m on the books while needing to sign two of the top 5 young talents in the NHL next offseason.  

So seeing the inverse approach taken this year with bottom pairing guys is very much good with me.  The only real risk atm is whether Chatfield, Rafferty or another D man are able to take RHD minutes left vacant by Stecher.  

They are all properly seasoned in the system and the AHL.  Getting one more cheap vet is proffered, but we have 5 to 6 D men on the Farm who want that spot too.  

Camp is going to be intense, win a spot and you can avoid riding a bus during a pandemic.  Enjoy Utica LE.  

All great points 

Green had no choice but to play Petey, hughes, Brock as frankly they were all highly touted and he would be fired immediately if he didn’t get them in the show right off the bat 

my take is we need to cycle some top utica  performers in the lineup once in a while for a few reasons. See what they can do in the bigs, help in their growth and development, reward for hard work in Utica, and to sit guys that are not performing in the bigs 

Some of these young prospects need to be given a chance to prove themselves eventually. 

Chatfield, Rafferty, Juolevi even need to be given every opportunity to make the club this coming season. 

The organization can't know what they have in their young players if they never give them a chance to actually make the roster. 

And I think this off-season, and this coming training camp, they will be given a chance. Because the Canucks have no choice. Their cap issues aren't giving them much of a choice. 

Unfortunately, we don't have any prospects that we were grooming to replace Tanev. 

Chatfield, maybe? What about Brisebois? He's been with the organization for what feels like such a long time, and he's never been given the opportunity to make the club. Either that, or he's just never been good enough to make it, which says something cause our backend over the years hasn't been that great

On 10/17/2020 at 6:40 AM, Phat Fingers said:

The only real risk atm is whether Chatfield, Rafferty or another D man are able to take RHD minutes left vacant by Stecher.  

Barring additional moves (which I expect are still coming), that spot is likely Benn's IMO.

Chatfield and Rafferty will duke it out for spare right side (the other in Utica) and occasionally slot in for Benn (and injuries).

Juolevi likely slots in on 3rd pair left side, opposite Benn (long shot Rathbone). Sautner and Brisebois again duking it out for spare left side (the other in Utica) and occasionally slotting in for Juolevi (and injuries).

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, robr1can said:

Is there a reason Chatfield hasn't been re-signed yet? It seems as many lounge chair GMs have pencilled him in as "knocking on the door", yet he's not under contract. Any updates that I have missed?

Chatfield and Bailey were both arbitration eligible and awaiting being signed or appearing for their hearings.

On 10/17/2020 at 6:40 AM, Phat Fingers said:

The good thing about having Benn and a bunch of young guys competing for ice time is that the bar won’t be very high for the young guys to take his job, considering the changes in the game and where Benn is at in his career. But if the young guys go through a rough patch, Benn can fill in on either side while the young guys get sorted. If one or two of the young guys have a hot start, I’d prefer to see them play and for Benn to sit.

• 4 weeks later...

Good depth signing with Chatfield 24, 6'1, 190lbs stay at home D man was very offensive in Junior but since turning pro he changed his game..

He should make the team with extra 4 players ? 

1, Hughes 2. Schmidt 3. Edler 4. Myers 5. Juolevi 6 Benn 7. Rafferty, Rathbone, Chatfield ..Could sign another depth D man closer to season starting?

Hamonic 6'2 ,30, 210lbs, is still unsigned very good #4 guy could sign for 1.5 million X 1 yr ? Some team out west will sign him  soon here....

Plays a very gritty game, solid guy....

On 10/18/2020 at 1:45 AM, N4ZZY said:

Some of these young prospects need to be given a chance to prove themselves eventually. 

Chatfield, Rafferty, Juolevi even need to be given every opportunity to make the club this coming season. 

The organization can't know what they have in their young players if they never give them a chance to actually make the roster. 

And I think this off-season, and this coming training camp, they will be given a chance. Because the Canucks have no choice. Their cap issues aren't giving them much of a choice. 

Unfortunately, we don't have any prospects that we were grooming to replace Tanev. 

Chatfield, maybe? What about Brisebois? He's been with the organization for what feels like such a long time, and he's never been given the opportunity to make the club. Either that, or he's just never been good enough to make it, which says something cause our backend over the years hasn't been that great

A replacement for Tanev doesn't have to be exactly Tanev, he could be someone that brings a different blend of talents to the mix - for instance, there is Tryamkin who is now well seasoned in the second best league  in the world. Or we could go mobility and transition with Rafferty.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really looking forward to camp here, JB was pumping Chatfield's tires and for good reason.  He just has to keep playing his position well and stay on his trajectory.

His pace, footwork, positioning along with spending all last year with the team is all saying he's gonna make the jump. He could play with a few different guys. 

I hope he's the 7th D,  and then we sign Vatanen to play with Juolevi on the 3rd pair, that would be good, there's some Finnish magic in a potential 3rd pair like that.

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Juolevi - Chatfield played well together in Utica (as did Rafferty with OJ on the few occasions they were paired together)

Would prefer a veteran presence as a younger pairing will probably go through more growing pains and get more limited ice-time.

Might not have a choice though. Not a huge issue if the season goes awry, at that point play all the youngsters.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Would prefer a veteran presence as a younger pairing will probably go through more growing pains and get more limited ice-time.

Might not have a choice though. Not a huge issue if the season goes awry, at that point play all the youngsters.

Yeah - I could see Edler - Rafferty and Juolevi - Myers as two pairings with Hughes and Schmidt as the top duo

• Cheers 1