The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can People Please Stand Up and Be Counted to Offset the Loud Anti WD Campaign on Here (DISCUSSION)

coastal.view

i am weary of the anti WD noise on this site

he is no scotty bowman

but he is not the reason why the canucks will miss the playoffs this year

he has physical quirks which people seem to focus on and mock

makes me think half the crowd on here is still in highschool

WD has flaws and strengths as a coach

but he is the coach and should remain so until he actually does hold the team back

disagreements about his player deployment issues during games is fertile ground for argument

but that is not a difference maker to the success of the team this year

they have continued to play hard almost every game

and have produced to the team's ability overall

yet the attacks on him are often crude

many are distortions of reality

a repeated view by the anti WD crowd is he is basically useless

and when it is pointed out that young players have developed on here

the response is basically that they are talented and would have developed anyway

i strongly disagree with this and point to bo as the best example of a young player who was in fact brought along properly by WD

he has in fact flourished under WD

i find it somewhat bizarre about the conspiracy theories on here.. .goldy did not have the flu.. he was actually scratched by WD

i guess that is just a new acceptable approach to life in the trump era

but i find it distasteful

anyway . the point of my post is to buttress my view that the anti WD crowd

is loud and obnoxious overall

but is not the majority viewpoint

in how WD or the team is viewed by most fans (who likley have more patience with the transition that is occurring with this team)

speak up please

as i'm sure someone from the team monitors fans' views on here

as they likely do with the radio show with the talking heads that appear to feed this anti WD sentiment

relax, the guy is a multi millionaire and doing for a living what only 29 other people are doing on the entire planet. No need to feel bad for him. 

When your team sucks blaming the coach, GM, players, zamboni driver, skate sharpener, stick boy or whining about the price of beer at games is all part and parcel. It's all part of being a sports fan. We're in a rebuild, this type of stuff will continue for several more years. 

15 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

makes me think half the crowd on here is still in highschool

Probably Correct.

but he is the coach and should remain so until he actually does hold the team back

I think he's holding the team back. So now would be a good time for him to hit the dusty trails.

but is not the majority viewpoint

I suspect you'll have trouble with this point in particular.

I don't like the "shaky" nicknames or anything of that regard. That's unnecessary, and I'd agree with you on that point. But as far as an NHL calibre coach, you couldn't be more correct that he's not Scotty Bowman. He's not even Scotty from Eurotrip. Actually, he might be, since he just doesn't know.

He had a good crack at it, and while I like the work ethic, he's just too inflexible to be an NHL coach. With a powerplay as anemic as ours has been for the past couple seasons, changes had to be made, yet none have come forth. That sort of thing.

I think Willie is a great coach - for junior or the AHL. His work hard philosophy is fantastic for there. But as he himself said, it's not a try league, it's a do league. And he just isn't getting it done.

And that's why he should go. I hold no ill will or silly attacks on his physical character; I just want to see the canucks succeed long term. He's not the guy to bring that about.

2 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Meh. Is he terrible? Nah. Is he awesome? Nah. I won't run him out of town, I won't stand up for him. It is what it is.

You literally started your post with "Meh" about 1 minute before I did.  Wow. 

We've had plenty of Desjardins threads, with plenty of for, against and somewhere in the middle in each. Just because you're hearing from one vocal portion of the fan base doesn't mean there isn't Desjardins support - or that those fans have any effect on what happens.

OP, I agree with much of what you say, I find sometimes the negativity overall on this discussion forum to be disheartening.  Players and management are attacked in ways that are shockingly rude and disrespectful.  We're all fans, we all have opinions, sadly the ability to be anonymous has created a lack of civil discourse.  

In terms of Willie, I think he's done pretty well with the options he has had to play this year.  He has evolved how he has used various players over the course of the season, sadly players that were counted on to contribute offensively have not lived up to expectations.  Other players have grown tremendously since the start of the season.  There have been times when what we see as fans may not have made much sense, but I bet if any one of us sat down and talked with him, we would walk away understanding why he has made the decisions he has.  

For those that say we need to replace him at the end of the season, with who and for what reason?  Are you anticipating that we'll be contending for the Cup next season?  I doubt that will be the case, I expect with a bit of luck we might be slightly better than this season.  Do I think Willie has held this team back?  Not at all.  If anything, he's got the kids playing hard every night, I can't remember a game when they gave up before the final horn which is a huge improvement over previous years and coaches.  

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Can we please stand up and applaud the OP's formatting.

Seriously, that structure is absolutely incredible.  Especially on this forum

Image result for applause gif

Quite poetic if you ask me. Maybe it could be put to music. :lol:

Willie's 100% gone.  There is very little the brain trust can do to improve the on ice product for 2017/18.

There's no way they can (re)sell a 27th -29th overall club with the Sedins another yr older(ugh)... and make no major changes at all.

Willie's gonna be the bone thrown to the fans..

Pity the next guy....it's gonna be a long 1st season.

Archived