Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can People Please Stand Up and Be Counted to Offset the Loud Anti WD Campaign on Here (DISCUSSION)


coastal.view

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And a solid defense, and capable forwards, and access to the space time continuum.

A replicator  would be handy too.... We could have our own Crosby, McDavid and Burns, Doughty or Ericsson.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, hlinkas wrister said:

I think the OP's heart is in the right place, especially when raising the point of how certain posters love to color their viewpoints with insulting attributes about WD. It's childish, and even if a poster has a legitimate gripe I can't help but want to dismiss everything they have to say beyond that point. In fairness though, if you look beyond the puerile attacks there are some legitimate coaching deficiencies that even the most ardent WD supporters can't refute. I'm a fence sitter on this one. I love the fact that WD is bringing up the young players in a structured, accountable and defensively responsible system- it will pay off in spades in the long run. BUT, it is also truly infuriating how he seems reticent to accept the fact that the white towel had been thrown the minute Burrows and Hansen were traded- it's just common sense that the last 20 games should be used to place young players in roles with increased responsibility. And for God's sake, please stop playing players who can't score (or offer physical protection to scorers) in the top 6 and the PP, that's just thumbing your nose at the people paying for tickets.     

Some good points.

My comment on the coaching is that I suspect Desjardin is hardly doing his business in isolation. My take is that Linden/Benning-Desjardin have a united approach. Desjardin becomes the focal point of those unsatisfied with development. If nothing else this approach has been pretty consistent. The so called coaches favorites of last year have morphed into the favs of this year. The fact that there has been a steady cull is duly ignored. The bottom line, as described by the 3 above, 'it is a process', and it takes time. The disapointments, which are inevitable, always seem to be monumental at the time they occur but ultimately, hopefully, are overcome.

 

As a Canuck fan from the beginning I have rarely been as positive on how well the team has been managed. This year was never more than a development year, not a playoff year, and yet the negativity of many shrills on. This season has been a great success for so many players. At the same time JB has added much forward talent just as he had done with the d-core over the past 2 years. IMHO the rebuild of this org is years ahead of what I thought was reasonable to expect.

   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

Oh come on. How many games have we seen Bo get 0 or maybe 1 shift in the last 3 minutes? Megna on the PP? Jeepers man, you know that is crap and its just the tip.

All I care about is effort and that the kids are learning and improving while we're transitioning. Both of which are happening. The rest is just noise for CDC to *rabble, rabble* on about and sharpen their pitchforks for.

 

'Willie played so and so but didn't play so and so for one minute!'

 

Who cares? It literally doesn't matter unless you were deluded enough to think this team, with all these injuries and all these kids and all these new players were going to actually have a shot at a cup this year. I mean come on, this was a bubble playoff team if healthy and things went well. I could literally give a crap what our record is or who got an extra minute of 5v5 time so long as those two key points are being met.

 

By all means, if there's a CLEARLY better coach available this summer, TL and JB should have at'er. But if it's just lateral change to satisfy the blood lust of all you witch hunters I hope they give you all the middle finger ::D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Willie is largely a victim of a roster that lacks a lot of ingredients. Is he a good NHL coach? I have no idea. He would be better with a more complete lineup. Like most people, his deployment of players is a head-scratching a lot of the time. He's searching for things that aren't really there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, CeeBee51 said:

A winning coach tends to be a long lived coach. 

helps to have a top notch goalie as well.

If that's the case, Miller has probably bought Willie an extra year and a half. He's playing out of his mind right now. 

 

It might be nice if Markstrom took the reins next year though as a top lottery odds and at least a 4th overall pick in 2018 would be great to have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

Willie is largely a victim of a roster that lacks a lot of ingredients. Is he a good NHL coach? I have no idea. He would be better with a more complete lineup. Like most people, his deployment of players is a head-scratching a lot of the time. He's searching for things that aren't really there.

Goldobin scores most exciting goal I can recall from the Canucks for a while, gets benched. (Cuz apparently he didn't learn the system)

 

 Drew Shore debuts a day after being signed and plays 10+ minutes, giving up a crappy penalty that resulted in a PP goal and not looking like anything other than a 13-14th Fwd. (Must have learned Willie's system on the plane ride in) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

And not just the oilers and Toronto, even todays good teams went through a large span of coaching changes. 

 

The average NHL coaching turning over rate is 2.5 years.  So WD has technically already lasted longer than the average coach.  That’s just the nature of the business, unless you are winning consecutively year after year, you don’t keep your job. 

 

Since 2000

Penguins have had 8 coaches (4 in 6 years, 2009-2015)

Capitals have had 7 coaches (4 in 3 years, 2011-2014)

Blackhawks have had 5 coaches (4 in 4 years, 2004-2008)

Kings have had 5 coaches (3 in 3 years, 2008-2011) (ignoring temp coach Stevens)

 

Canucks have had 4 coaches since 2000, if we replace WD that will be 4 coaches in 4 years 2013-2017.  Which, as shown above, isn’t out of the ordinary

Honestly the folks desperate to keep Willie confound me. He's been given a great chance to shine, and simply hasn't. 

 

Coaching is also a buyers market, there are many great options to try out, and add to that there's nothing about Willie thats special in any way, and no reason not to make a change. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, J.R. said:

All I care about is effort and that the kids are learning and improving while we're transitioning. Both of which are happening. The rest is just noise for CDC to *rabble, rabble* on about and sharpen their pitchforks for.

 

'Willie played so and so but didn't play so and so for one minute!'

 

Who cares? It literally doesn't matter unless you were deluded enough to think this team, with all these injuries and all these kids and all these new players were going to actually have a shot at a cup this year. I mean come on, this was a bubble playoff team if healthy and things went well. I could literally give a crap what our record is or who got an extra minute of 5v5 time so long as those two key points are being met.

 

By all means, if there's a CLEARLY better coach available this summer, TL and JB should have at'er. But if it's just lateral change to satisfy the blood lust of all you witch hunters I hope they give you all the middle finger ::D

 

Most of the kids are, not all, and there is a good argument to be made that Willie was forced to use them in situations he wouldn't have if it weren't for injuries. 

 

Thats great, you don't care. Happy days for you then. Many of us do care, and would really enjoy watching a coach that knows how to deploy a team, even in a loss. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

 

Most of the kids are, not all, and there is a good argument to be made that Willie was forced to use them in situations he wouldn't have if it weren't for injuries. 

 

Thats great, you don't care. Happy days for you then. Many of us do care, and would really enjoy watching a coach that knows how to deploy a team, even in a loss. 

 

 

 

Injuries ALWAYS happen. ALWAYS.

 

You guys spend so much time and energy focusing on why this or that may have happened that it seems to blind you from the fact that what you want IS HAPPENING.

 

Kids are getting chances. Kids are improving. Kids are succeeding.

 

:frantic::rolleyes:

 

It's not so much that I don't care. I just care far, FAR more that these kids are learning and able to play the right way in around two years when results and things like deployment etc will actually start to matter more than the not really much at all that it matters now.

 

I'm all for an actual improvement in coaching if one's available. I'm not married to WD. But a move laterally to simply change coaches because Willie puts the 4th line on after icings or has had to rely on a dependable, if unspectacular, Megna due to a lack of ready depth.... sorry, doesn't even move the needle on my care-o-meter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

It's not so much that I don't care. I just care far, FAR more that these kids are learning and able to play the right way in around two years when results and things like deployment etc will actually start to matter more than the not really much at all that it matters now.

 

I'm all for an actual improvement in coaching if one's available. I'm not married to WD. But a move laterally to simply change coaches because Willie puts the 4th line on after icings or has had to rely on a dependable, if unspectacular, Megna due to a lack of ready depth.... sorry, doesn't even move the needle on my care-o-meter.

Fair points

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like any did-satisfied group you're going to get a lot of noise and negativity, and I would agree on some levels that the complaints are more whining than reasoning.

 

That being said there are a lot of red flags with WD leading our team.

 

1) Preparation. There are a lot of games where the Canucks start slowly and are out shot by a wide margin.

2) Defensive Coverage. Often times we are give up high percentage opportunities simply due to poor defensive coverage. Who is your man? oops! not hard

3) Special teams. Even when you have poor talent depth even the Canucks can ice 5 decent players on the PP but often will not even get a shot on net

4) Set plays. Seems we are looking for a player to pass too when they should have a game plan, and often passes get missed due to miscommunication. We often get caught waiting too long and get covered or checked.

5) Dump and chase. It's my opinion we are not fast enough to play this game, but even so, so many dumps are done with no speed, timing is off, turn over every time.

6) Playing scared. So often we are simply dumping the puck out of our end, always make the safe play, always turning the puck over. No freedom to create.

7) Not benching demoting the Sedins. If ice time is earned, and your going to bench a guy like Baerschi... If say Daniel has one goal in 20 games? Time to lead by example.

 

A lot of the deficiencies I feel the team has stems from a teaching stand point, and granted I'm not in the room to see the leadership and whether or not players are simply ignoring or not getting their defensive instructions (this the NHL remember?) but seems to be the is a lack of preparation, lack of focus, lack of a game-plan or maybe execution? I'm not saying WD is to blame per say, and we are not a great team overall, but too many red flags for me to ignore a leadership problem.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Injuries ALWAYS happen. ALWAYS.

 

You guys spend so much time and energy focusing on why this or that may have happened that it seems to blind you from the fact that what you want IS HAPPENING.

 

Kids are getting chances. Kids are improving. Kids are succeeding.

 

:frantic::rolleyes:

 

It's not so much that I don't care. I just care far, FAR more that these kids are learning and able to play the right way in around two years when results and things like deployment etc will actually start to matter more than the not really much at all that it matters now.

 

I'm all for an actual improvement in coaching if one's available. I'm not married to WD. But a move laterally to simply change coaches because Willie puts the 4th line on after icings or has had to rely on a dependable, if unspectacular, Megna due to a lack of ready depth.... sorry, doesn't even move the needle on my care-o-meter.

Just because someone disagree's with you it doesn't mean they are :frantic:

 

For me a good in-game coach is part of the enjoyment. Willie is the 1st coach I've ever really detested. He keeps marching out the same PP e.g., expecting something new to happen. There are many combinations he hasn't even tried. To me he's the Megna of coaches, doesn't really have the tools for the job he has but he's there just the same. 

 

You're calling it a "lateral move" but you don't know that, you can't pre-criticize a coach we haven't hired yet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

How  could THAT team be in it every night if he wasn't a good tactician? Even last night one of the commentators said as much. 38 DIFFERENT PLAYERS, the highest in the league and coincidentally the same number as last season. Is there some kind of logic/rationale disconnect with you Willie whiners?

 

Deployment? lets see, we have Bo, Granlund, Baertschi, Sutter and the slow Twins. (who to be fair actually played 2 decent periods last night before Henrik imploded ONCE AGAIN) 4 players, 6 if you count the Sedins, what kind of "deployment" does that leave?

 

Winning? Are you on dope? How many teams have you known, constituted as we are, have won even half their games?

yah, dope. Its great. It must be the same brand that has Willie's Defenders all up in a knot. We're in games because of Miller, and our D are keeping the shots mostly to the outside. Our F group deployment is pathetic. Megna with Bo... why? So Bo can dig the puck out for Megna to cough up? WTF 'stonk, I sez. Must be the dope. 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

You're calling it a "lateral move" but you don't know that, you can't pre-criticize a coach we haven't hired yet. 

Nor can you assume a change will yield any actual improvement. At least I'm open to the idea of a better coach should one be available ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...