The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will WD be OUR Coach next year?

hearditall

WD's Future  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Seeing that all Canuck talk lately is directed towards WD & the Young Prospects, in which The Canucks are strongly leaning towards this next season. It seems like JB really cleared a lot of the unknowns & speculations about WD & his relationship with JB...

Benning said that he has spoken to head coach Willie Desjardins about the team's philosophy change over the final stretch and Desjardins is "going to be on-board" with the plan.

“I talk to Willie on a day-to-day basis and we talk about (ice time for players),” Benning said. “Up to this point, his focus was to try and compete hard every night and win enough games to challenge for one of those last playoff spots.

“Now that reality has set in, he’s going to be on-board with getting our young kids more ice time.”

With JB's latest comments towards WD  & direction of the team with the prospects in mind, Is JB & WD on the same page all along? Or is JB letting WD know this is the way it is or else? Or totally something different?

I believe this is a sign that they all have been on the same page clearly but there's always the other side which keeps these threads so interesting & full of all sorts of opinions. This is what keeps us all coming back, right?

Mainly for the Poll question & to hear EVERYONE'S thoughts on our beloved man WD & his relationship with JB & the Prospects...

Does he survive or take the dive?

Does he get another shot with another NHL team?

Does he continue on as a Canuck like the rest of us?

Kindly leave your much respected quotes here as U please.

We all have the right to our opinions, Respect & hope U enjoy the thread my fellow members. In the end we're all on the same Team & now that TL, JB, WD & the Prospects are clearly, hopefully all our fans can be too...

We're All CANUCKS :canucks:...

Don't forget to vote. 

Why couldn't you put this in one of the already existing threads? I mean it would've been a fit. Especially Willie watch or evaluating Willie.

Edit: Ok, I have nothing against you I don't want to be a know-it-all or a self-appointed moderator, just don't be surprised if this will be closed too.

6 minutes ago, Rubik said:

Why couldn't you put this in one of the already existing threads? I mean it would've been a fit. Especially Willie watch or evaluating Willie.

They've been beating down to a ghost town. 

This is more of a WD JB & Prospects all on one page thread. Haven't seen that yet?

Because JB & WD were always on the same page, Playoffs. Now we get to finally see the Prospects be part of the 3 some...

This has never happened on any thread yet... plus the FUN poll...:shock:

2 hours ago, Rubik said:

all worn out. kinda like vets. time for some new blood...

I tried to make one but LOCKED... Maybe a little Burrows Auger thing? lol...

It makes more sense than all of the above redundant, beat down, ghost town ones...

But now since JB & WD spoke up it's a whole new can of worms here with Prospects, JB & WD working ALL together...

31 minutes ago, Rubik said:

Edit: Ok, I have nothing against you I don't want to be a know-it-all or a self-appointed moderator, just don't be surprised if this will be closed too.

Now that we finally heard it from the mouth itself, we now know WD is here until AT LEAST the end of the season. We also know now that WD is going to be playing Prospects 100%...

Those threads were not even close to reality as they were made on the assumption that WD was doing it all His way, I believe the word Stubborn was used a few times...

Now knowing more facts, doesn't it kinda make sense that WD did what he did all along. Communicating with JB on a DAILY basis being on the same page, tells me that WD was Not just plain out right STUBBORN... 

They were on the same page all along & now that they have come out & stated that the prospects will be getting longer looks & they both agree. Looks like WD JB TL actually had a plan ALL Together & were all sticking to it. Play to Win 1st...

So now we have a New Thread with New Clear Direction & with TL, JB, TL, Prospects & most fans on the same page...

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

Don't see what's really changed since all the other Willie threads, and I suspect this will get locked, but I cast my vote anyway.

Whats the point of locking it if WD is gone at end of season. Going to be a dead thread than anyways. If not than WD must still be around.

The threads life span should be WD's life span or it will kill itself anyways. No one's talking about him after the new coach is here...

So again it makes conversation (with a poll, lol) than leave it as it either survives with talk or gets sent down with no action. 

Lock a thread that's getting good views, votes & quotes makes zero sense. ?

But ehh, I'm just a (hearditall) Burrows & the mods are the refs... They make the call...I'm hoping I don't get admin. TP or SC for game day or... lol...That was a little sarcasm guys...::D I respect your decision either way...

Yes I acknowledge that I've had a few penalties & have been sent to the box. Didn't Burrows...

We all learn (&) to respect. we're all grown men here. So lets keep it real & lets hear U squeal...

:blink:    U usually have quality things to say about our beloved :canucks: 

Willie coaches to the end of his contract, and if it all progresses smoothly, he may get an extension. But if management doesn't see improvements in the young players, then we'll get a new coach. Just like any other coach gets evaluated each year.

For now I think JB and Linden are ok with WD, so I don't see any reason to drop him. Especially now as we are a rebuilding team with lots of youth, which is supposed to be WD strong point.

Willie? Do we really need him? lol..

I think if nothing else the poll helps by showing actual numbers for support (or lack of it)... I bet TL is eagerly awaiting the results

I feel that WD has definitely made his share of blunders as head coach - lack of adaptation, deployment, special teams... but beyond that I don't think he's really hurt the team as far as actual success or development. I mean did anyone really see this squad making a deep run anyways? maybe...

but I'm guessing that like every decision any gm makes, they evaluate, discuss and move based on the best fit to fill a need. I'm sure there's a good percentage of moves that aren't slam dunks but seem the best option & hopefully turn out brilliant. I don't recall Babcock being available, and if he was would he have taken on this team anyways? and Willie's first year did show some promise.. 

personally, my frustration with WD coaching is paralleled by my frustration with the shallow pool of talent & prospects. in short, he's part of the problem but not all of it. and while I don't see him coaching a contender anytime soon, I don't see him losing his job either.

I voted that he finishes his contract. unless someone great becomes available in the meantime (Gallant that guy?) or we're pulling a Colorado next year, I don't see any advantage in more upheaval.. it didn't seem to help EDM in their situation (what was it 5 coaches in 4 years?) he's got 1 more season to prove he's a legitimate nhl coach.

incidentally, I feel he's more of a legitimate assistant, but I digest...

I see nothing wrong in the GM telling Willie that he realises that up to now he has been doing all he can to win and he was fine with that but now that they are out of the running he wants the coach to just play for the sake of giving the young boys big chunks of ice time.

One has to wonder where these "kids" are coming from.

I look forward to watching LaBate (-6), Pedan, Grenier (-12), Boucher (who has already had 16mins TOI recently) Gaunce who has had 17mins twice in last 3 games, Goldobin who was likely going to have his toi increased anyway. really lighting up the team at 15-18 mins a night each. It should be fun.

Or are we now to see Subban (-8), Cassels, Virtanen (-7), McEneny and Sautner make an appearance to the detriment of Utica?

If one good thing could come out of this it would be the only place these minutes can come from are the Sedins. Will Shore and Cramarossa who were already over 14mins TOI get their minutes chopped or also increased?

Is it possible for Benning to re-asign Megna and Chaput to Utica where they will be much appreciated or would they be subject to waivers?

Interesting times ahead.

1 hour ago, hearditall said:

Whats the point of locking it if WD is gone at end of season. Going to be a dead thread than anyways. If not than WD must still be around.

The threads life span should be WD's life span or it will kill itself anyways. No one's talking about him after the new coach is here...

So again it makes conversation (with a poll, lol) than leave it as it either survives with talk or gets sent down with no action. 

Lock a thread that's getting good views, votes & quotes makes zero sense. ?

But ehh, I'm just a (hearditall) Burrows & the mods are the refs... They make the call...I'm hoping I don't get admin. TP or SC for game day or... lol...That was a little sarcasm guys...::D I respect your decision either way...

Yes I acknowledge that I've had a few penalties & have been sent to the box. Didn't Burrows...

We all learn (&) to respect. we're all grown men here. So lets keep it real & lets hear U squeal...

:blink:    U usually have quality things to say about our beloved :canucks: 

Well as "the cube" pointed, there's already 8 existing threads on Willie and coaching. Is there truly any need for a new thread for each an every particle thought on the subject? I don't think so. It's just rather redundant saying the same things in multiple threads. Just my opinion.

Here's my spin though:

• Jim and Willie have been on the same page all along.
  • Willie won't be fired this season or next
  • He'll be extended or not based on next years performance

Btw, if you're "a Burrows" shouldn't you be lurking the Sens board now instead? :lol:

8 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I see nothing wrong in the GM telling Willie that he realises that up to now he has been doing all he can to win and he was fine with that but now that they are out of the running he wants the coach to just play for the sake of giving the young boys big chunks of ice time.

One has to wonder where these "kids" are coming from.

I look forward to watching LaBate (-6), Pedan, Grenier (-12), Boucher (who has already had 16mins TOI recently) Gaunce who has had 17mins twice in last 3 games, Goldobin who was likely going to have his toi increased anyway. really lighting up the team at 15-18 mins a night each. It should be fun.

Or are we now to see Subban (-8), Cassels, Virtanen (-7), McEneny and Sautner make an appearance to the detriment of Utica?

If one good thing could come out of this it would be the only place these minutes can come from are the Sedins. Will Shore and Cramarossa who were already over 14mins TOI get their minutes chopped or also increased?

Is it possible for Benning to re-asign Megna and Chaput to Utica where they will be much appreciated or would they be subject to waivers?

Interesting times ahead.

Nobody is getting called up from Utica.

I think a lot will depend on how Willie handles the "play the kids" directive he's received from management and what kind of results, in terms of development, we see down the stretch to close out this season.

Also, I'm sure the exit interviews, especially with the key veterans, will have an effect on what management does.

If Willie does as he's been asked, and gets good results (as far as young guys flourishing more so than W/L results) and the players rally around the idea of keeping their coach (who does seem to be very well liked and respected by this roster), then I think his job is safe for another season.

But if Willie doesn't adjust to the "realities" JB has mentioned, and then some of the players express doubts about this coach being the right guy for this team, then management will have more than enough reasons to make a change this offseason and try to hire a new guy that can hopefully guide this team through the coming transition years.

15 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Nobody is getting called up from Utica.

So who is getting the big minutes? 

The OP used the word "kids"

“In this last little stretch of games, we’ve got to take a look at some of these young kids and see where they’re at,” Benning said Tuesday.

Gaunce, LaBate, Goldobin and Boucher  (they are all up) - or are we including Grenier and Cramarossa under the heading "kids" - and does that also apply to Larsen and Markstrom?

As I said Benning mentions Boucher was already getting 16 mins. Gaunce was up to 17mins.

Seeing as how it's a long, expensive, drawn out process to hire a new employee (in this instance, a coach) plus we already have one signed who follows the instructions given by the upper leadership, and the fact that no matter what coach we have, we're unlikely to compete for the cup next year, I say Willie is back but with a new motive from upper leadership with emphasis on playing the younger players in riskier roles.

Archived