The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will WD be OUR Coach next year?

hearditall

WD's Future  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think a lot of that is going to ride on the next stretch of games and how the younger players we've got respond to more ice time. We aren't calling anyone up from Utica, so a lot rides on what he can get out of what we've got now that playoffs are out of the picture. Not that they haven't been for a while, but such is life. Then it's exit interviews, going over things and debriefing on an organizational level. There's also the matter of who's out there to be hired on. A number of folks seem to want Gallant, but there's no guarantee he'll be around to be hired by the time they make a decision. We're not the only team in need of coaching tweaks.

If there's no clear cut upgrade to be hired, the team players and the players endorse him I could see Willie coaching out his contract. It's expensive to keep firing and hiring coaches and it's the devil management knows. Once they axe him their buffer is gone too. Management tends to get at least one coaching change as a meat shield. All this being said, even if he's retained for the final year of his contract I'd be astonished if he was retained beyond that.

36 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

So who is getting the big minutes? 

The OP used the word "kids"

“In this last little stretch of games, we’ve got to take a look at some of these young kids and see where they’re at,” Benning said Tuesday.

Gaunce, LaBate, Goldobin and Boucher  (they are all up) - or are we including Grenier and Cramarossa under the heading "kids" - and does that also apply to Larsen and Markstrom?

As I said Benning mentions Boucher was already getting 16 mins. Gaunce was up to 17mins.

Benning said nobody is getting called up as they are in the playoff hunt. It's the young guys on the roster that will get more minutes.

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

I see nothing wrong in the GM telling Willie that he realises that up to now he has been doing all he can to win and he was fine with that but now that they are out of the running he wants the coach to just play for the sake of giving the young boys big chunks of ice time.

One has to wonder where these "kids" are coming from.

I look forward to watching LaBate (-6), Pedan, Grenier (-12), Boucher (who has already had 16mins TOI recently) Gaunce who has had 17mins twice in last 3 games, Goldobin who was likely going to have his toi increased anyway. really lighting up the team at 15-18 mins a night each. It should be fun.

Or are we now to see Subban (-8), Cassels, Virtanen (-7), McEneny and Sautner make an appearance to the detriment of Utica?

If one good thing could come out of this it would be the only place these minutes can come from are the Sedins. Will Shore and Cramarossa who were already over 14mins TOI get their minutes chopped or also increased?

Is it possible for Benning to re-asign Megna and Chaput to Utica where they will be much appreciated or would they be subject to waivers?

Interesting times ahead.

Benning told MacIntyre that they signed Shore because they don't want to recall any more players from Utica - re they are in a playoff hunt.

Grenier was on emergency recall and has been sent down.  LaBate is also on emergency recall and as soon as another F is healthy - he will be sent back down. 

Megna and Chaput require waivers and were not papered so they can't play in the playoffs.  Only Goldobin and Gaunce were papered.

Two variables will decide WD's fate. First is how well he follows Bennings wishes of the kids getting more ice time and two if the Utica coach is signed for another season. I just have that feeling that management has Green in their future NHL plans and don't want him to get poached from another NHL team. So if Greens contract is up I can see them getting rid of WD and resigning Green with a promotion to an NHL coaching job.

i hope he is back to work with this team until we have enough talent to compete for the cup. i think he has done a good job with the players he has been given and with all the injuries the team has had. bring in another coach who has a similar roster, and we'll be having these posts again. musical coaches. willie isn't the reason this team is where it is and i'm sure that JB and TL know that. running this team on fans opinions, would make it 10 times worse. 

After "careful consideration" by Trevor and Jim, Willie will be "relieved" of his duties at the end of this season.

Willie will opt for retirement from hockey as there are no takers for his services by any other NHL team in the offseason.

He will spend some of the money he's made on a cabin by a secluded lake in Saskatchewan.

Meanwhile, Megna will receive the news that he's being sent back to Utica and never to be recalled again, ever.

On a warm summer afternoon, Willie takes a cab to YVR to catch his flight to his new life of rest and relaxation.

In the terminal, by incredible coincidence, he spots Megna waiting to board a plane bound for upstate New York. He calls out frantically, "JAYSON!", "JAYSON!!!!!"

Megna, in disbelief, sees him... Tears streaming down Willie's face but with a smile from ear to ear, they run towards eachother and share a long embrace. "I love you", they say simultaneously.

Willie and Megna cash in their plane tickets and go buy a convertible. They drive to the cabin in Saskatchewan and live out the rest of their days hunting and fishing, etc. etc.

The Canucks hire a new coach, the young players get the vast majority of the ice-time, the team makes the playoffs and goes on an unlikely run to their first Stanley Cup title.

The end.

5 hours ago, hearditall said:

They've been beating down to a ghost town. 

This is more of a WD JB & Prospects all on one page thread. Haven't seen that yet?

Because JB & WD were always on the same page, Playoffs. Now we get to finally see the Prospects be part of the 3 some...

This has never happened on any thread yet... plus the FUN poll...:shock:

How about this one, you know, the one you've been posting in?

Benning talking to Desjardins about the young players and ice time. Kinda exactly covers it.

Regardless of whether or not you think he's terrible, I sincerely think that anyone who firmly believes that he's on the road to being fired at the end of this year will be seriously disappointed.

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Is it possible for Benning to re-asign Megna and Chaput to Utica where they will be much appreciated or would they be subject to waivers?

Yes, they'd have to clear.  I'd imagine both would get plucked by a team just looking for playoff depth, especially a centre like Chaput.

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

So who is getting the big minutes? 

The OP used the word "kids"

“In this last little stretch of games, we’ve got to take a look at some of these young kids and see where they’re at,” Benning said Tuesday.

Gaunce, LaBate, Goldobin and Boucher  (they are all up) - or are we including Grenier and Cramarossa under the heading "kids" - and does that also apply to Larsen and Markstrom?

As I said Benning mentions Boucher was already getting 16 mins. Gaunce was up to 17mins.

Boucher only got 11 minutes last game and was demoted, in his last 5 games he's only averaged 11 minutes per game.  JB wants to see more games where he gets 17 min, not once ever 5 games. 

Benning wants to see the kids put into positions that allow them to succeeded,

I thought (Monday) night, Reid Boucher, you could see the powerful shot he’s got and the quick release. With more ice time, I think he’ll get more confidence and will show us the things he’s capable of doing."

That means better line mates, more power play time, higher ozone opportunity, and a longer leash to allow the players to be more creative. It's a change in philosophy.

It's now, here is the opportunity, run with it and show us what you can do.

vs the old, you don't get opportunity until you've earned the coaches trust.

Boucher, Gaunce, Tryamkin will all likely see there ice time increase and not go below 14 minute per game.  They likely wont sit for and healthy scratches.  They will likely see more opportunity on the PP.  Same with Goldoblin, when he's healthy.

Bo and Sven will likely get more PP time and ozone starts than the twins.

Marky when healthy will get a run a games.

Edler and the twins ice time will decrease and more will be asked out of the players mentioned above to see how they handle those situation on a regular basis. 

I would have voted for Willie likely getting the AXE before this season ends.  I can see Willie pushing back against JB by playing the vets still over the kids.  Willie knows he's done at the end of this season, so why not go out on his own terms?  It's not like the guy will ever get another NHL head coaching job, right?  

Archived