The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on 1040 - March 16 2017

tybarber

2 minutes ago, bobbyg43 said:

Good point.

i mentioned over year ago that player apex slide starts at 35 an had my head knocked off on CDC for even suggesting it.

just really glad JB is now focusing on restocking the prospect pool with young players now.

He has been since he got here. (Baer, Granlund, Tryamkin, Stecher, Chaput, Sbisa, Sutter, etc) Can only play the cards your dealt. 

It's only that he come out publicly & stated it so that the fans that didn't see it finally do. 

Now he's (JB) not only got the coach's on the same page, looks like he's got the fans seeing the same thing too...

4 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Remind you of someone? Ericksson?

Hopefully Eriksson has a few years still in him. I think he does & will bounce back to a respectable level next year...

He's also a (world class player) vet presence that every team needs even when re-building. Yes I understand that $6 mill isn't ideal but at the end of the day U have to look forward & get the best U can out of what U have...

If he can put up similar numbers to what Vrbata is doing up to his age, (why can't he?) then his salary won't be as much as a burden that it looks to be at the Moment... He's a better 2 way player than Vrbata in my eyes...

That's my opinion anyways...

Just now, hearditall said:

Hopefully Eriksson has a few years still in him. I think he does & will bounce back to a respectable level next year...

He's also a (world class player) vet presence that every team needs even when re-building. Yes I understand that $6 mill isn't ideal but at the end of the day U have to look forward & get the best U can out of what U have...

If he can put up similar numbers to what Vrbata is doing up to his age, (why can't he?) then his salary won't be as much as a burden that it looks to be at the Moment... He's a better 2 way player than Vrbata in my eyes...

That's my opinion anyways...

Everyone that sticks up for him says the same thing. I think he will make a come back with a few good years.  Well the fact is he was crap this year and what if he is crap next year? He's not getting younger, only older and may I suggest he doesn't have Burrows heart when it comes to the Canucks.

Just now, KeslerWho? said:

So if Boeser doesn't sign can he just walk?? 

No.  The Canucks own his right until 15 Aug 2019 so if he wants to turn pro now (and every indication is that he wants to) his only option is to sign with the Canucks.

Just now, guntrix said:

The PP defensman quote can only mean one thing: Liljegren.

Get ready for another underwhelming first round draft pick. 

The kid might be the most useful player in this draft though.  Sounds like a lot of the forwards are bust material.  Herchier might be another Drouin, and Patrick reminds me of Doug Wickenheiser.

17 hours ago, guntrix said:

Nah, Benning has just made peace with the fact that the Canucks will be screwed over by the lottery yet again and is hedging his bets.

1 minute ago, mll said:

No.  The Canucks own his right until 15 Aug 2019 so if he wants to turn pro now (and every indication is that he wants to) his only option is to sign with the Canucks.

Excellent point.  If he turns pro now, he will be starting his second contract in 2019.  If he waits, and signs with another team, he starts his ELC in 2019.  He will essentially speed up his move to UFA status, and big money, by three years to sign now.  

13 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Everyone that sticks up for him says the same thing. I think he will make a come back with a few good years.  Well the fact is he was crap this year and what if he is crap next year? He's not getting younger, only older and may I suggest he doesn't have Burrows heart when it comes to the Canucks.

Neither did or does Vrbata. He still got $5 mill at 34... & pruduced 30+ goals. Not having a bad campaign this year either at 36...

Vrbata last few years.  He bounced back after a horrible outing at 35 years old...???

2010-11 Phoenix Coyotes NHL 79  19   29    48                
2011-12 Phoenix Coyotes NHL 77   35   27   62               
2012-13 Phoenix Coyotes NHL 34   12 16      28              
2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes NHL 80  20  31   51              
2014-15 Vancouver Canucks NHL 79   31  32   63               
2015-16 Vancouver Canucks NHL 63  13  14   27

2016-17 Arizona Coyotes         NHL 69   16   34     50    

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The kid might be the most useful player in this draft though.  Sounds like a lot of the forwards are bust material.  Herchier might be another Drouin, and Patrick reminds me of Doug Wickenheiser.

I would be fairly happy if Hirchier landed in Vancouver as our pick . Not a fan of Patri k( we have Horvat anyhow)

Liljegren is okay but I would let him finish off in JR then a year in Utica to season up for the big club . In fact last years pick should also be on the same track.

so 2 out of 3 ain't bad I guess. I have a feeling Patrick may be one of those busts picks.

next year is the year to grab another centre if we get screwed by the lottery again this year.  Next year we may be a lock for top odds if Miller resigns elsewhere this summer

3 minutes ago, hearditall said:

Neither did or does Vrbata. He still got $5 mill at 34... & pruduced 30 goals. Not having a bad campaign this year either at 36...

Vrbata last few years.  He bounced back after a horrible outing at 35 years old...???

2010-11 Phoenix Coyotes NHL 79  19   29    48                
2011-12 Phoenix Coyotes NHL 77   35   27   62               
2012-13 Phoenix Coyotes NHL 34   12 16      28              
2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes NHL 80  20  31   51              
2014-15 Vancouver Canucks NHL 79   31  32   63               
2015-16 Vancouver Canucks NHL 63  13  14   27

2016-17 Arizona Coyotes         NHL 69   16   34     50    

Why did you only highlight the good year he had with the canucks? what happen to the year after that one? lol

Don't care what anyone says, I knew it was a terrible signing at the time and it still is. Canucks didn't need him then and they don't need his cap hit for the next 5 years. In years to come you watch. People will be complaining that Canucks don't have enough cap to sign better players they need.

18 minutes ago, guntrix said:

I think k that's if Vilardi and mittelstadt are gone. Having scouted Dahlen, they must be thinking about Petterson as well- I think he'd be a better luck than liljgren but I'm not a scout 

3 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Why did you only highlight the good year he had with the canucks? what happen to the year after that one? lol

Don't care what anyone says, I knew it was a terrible signing at the time and it still is. Canucks didn't need him then and they don't need his cap hit for the next 5 years. In years to come you watch. People will be complaining that Canucks don't have enough cap to sign better players they need.

True enough good foresight.

And cap management is not yet a proven talent of this management group yet. We see they can tag highlife an sign free agents but at what cost in 2019/20/21/22 dollars? The tradeoff is pretty clear Jim is playing the slots for instant gratification of big early payoffs at the cost of future signing detrimental to that time frame . He has calculated this An knows he may have finished up here by then if he cannot deliver a winner here.

10 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

I didn't very bedrest and the "two way street" Boeser reference. Like why would Boeser want to stay in college for 2 more years??? 

He he just took that lick in the nucks Jersey, what's he alluding to?

WTF? 

6 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Actually meant to only highlight the bad season to show that a bounce back can happen. Not hiding anything it's all there...

It is what it is & we do have Sedins $14 mill & Millers $6 mill along with Burrows 4.5 Hansen 2.5 coming off the books very shortly if not already. ($27 Mill right there alone)...

Then with the possibility of Edler being moved & even Tanev? We have plenty of Cap space for our younger entry level bridge, level, long term level signings...

Eriksson will be the ONLY one left. If he's that much of a burden U by him out... Maybe he gels with some of the young like he did in Boston with Marchand/Patrnak, etc.?  Kinda like he was with BO & Baer right before his injury...?

Always ways to make things work, That's what JB & his Management group are paid the Million$$$ to do...

I think the Erickson signing had more to do with selling tickets than anything else.  He is and always has been a complementary player.  He wont make things happen on his own but put him with the right linemates and he should produce.  Sadly, the Sedins weren't the right linemates during the regular season (even though they did well in the summer). 

Archived