Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on 1040 - March 16 2017


tybarber

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

I think the Erickson signing had more to do with selling tickets than anything else.  He is and always has been a complementary player.  He wont make things happen on his own but put him with the right linemates and he should produce.  Sadly, the Sedins weren't the right linemates during the regular season (even though they did well in the summer). 

I think it was because of his previous history with the Sedin bros. and how impressive they all looked together. And of course some great seasons with Boston and Dallas. The funny thing is i don't remember one person who was wary of this signing. Everyone was on board with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

Benning: Coaches have to walk the fine line of being competitive, winning games and making kids earn their icetime.

— TSN Radio Vancouver (@TSN1040) March 16, 2017

 

Bingo.  This is what most of the kids here don't seem to grasp.

Vets and plugs should have to earn their ice time too though. Nothing wrong with kids earning their opportunity at all. The problem is the vets and the hard worker plugs don't actually have to keep their job by earning it too. 

 

Of course, this completely ignores the fact that we look better in games when the young kids are playing. Vet/plug bench shortening seems to get us in trouble in a hurry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, canuktravella said:

next yrs  poossible line up should be decent

 

baertchi horvat boeser

goldobin sedin rodin 

sedin sutter eriksson 

dorsett gaunce boucher

 

 juolevi guddy

edler liljengren

hutton tryamkin

stecher

 

 marky

 new backup whoever they sign

 

 tanev traded for a top ten first and a decent prospect 

sbisa  traded so we dont lose him to ed for a second and prospect 

 

draft liljengren and  a skilled forward or 2

 

 

If you trade Tanev, no need to trade Sbisa.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Vets and plugs should have to earn their ice time too though. Nothing wrong with kids earning their opportunity at all. The problem is the vets and the hard worker plugs don't actually have to keep their job by earning it too.

Lulz.  Name a vet/"plug" on this franchise that doesn't give you hard work every shift?  Pretty clear that you don't understand the difference.

 

Nice story though. Honestly, why you waste your time with your narrative is your business, but what a waste of time it is.  I wish I found these interactions more worthwhile tbh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, IbanezRG said:

 

 

Juolevi playing top pairing his first year in the chel? Really? Don't even get me started on the rest of that lineup...

 more like 3 good pairings they are all interchangable  rookie with vet  hutton and try   try plays so solid he acts like a vet 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, hearditall said:

Yah I remember when CDC was all up in arms about that waiver loss....

That should tell us a lot. Corrado was actually one of our only bright spots on Defence back a few years ago before JB took over.

I'd say he's re-stocked the defense shelf pretty well.

 

Tryamkin, Stecher, Hutton, Sbisa, Gubranson, > corrado

 

well you are correct

 

hahah

but didn't pittsburgh trade like 4 players for him ?

they must think he is the 2nd coming of orr or something

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Lulz.  Name a vet/"plug" on this franchise that doesn't give you hard work every shift?  Pretty clear that you don't understand the difference.

 

Nice story though. Honestly, why you waste your time with your narrative is your business, but what a waste of time it is.  I wish I found these interactions more worthwhile tbh.

In terms of effort? The Sedins, Edler come to mind

 

In terms of actually not earning a top 6/pp role by producing anything with it - Megna, Dorsett, Chaput cone to mind

 

Iys not about hard work alone. It's about hard work and results. Didn't Willie say it's not a try league it's a get it done league?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

          goldobin horvat boeser

          baertchi sedin granny

          daniel sutter eriksson 

          rodin  gaunce boucher

          dorsett

 

           edler tryamkin

           juolevi gudbranson 

           hutton/stecher/liljengren 

 

          youth is way nhl is trending    this lineup has a bunch of vets but a bunch of promising youngsters if not for horvat baertchi and granny and stecher tryamkin wed be worse than avs        im happy we got  younger hopefully we keep trending up after drafting a top 5 prospect 

           

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

I think it was because of his previous history with the Sedin bros. and how impressive they all looked together. And of course some great seasons with Boston and Dallas. The funny thing is i don't remember one person who was wary of this signing. Everyone was on board with it.

I don't think I was vocal on here about it, but I had concerns and I don't think I was alone.  The term and his age were just clearly incompatible with the obvious impending Canucks rebuild, in addition to his wild historical variance from year to year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

In terms of effort? The Sedins, Edler come to mind

 

In terms of actually not earning a top 6/pp role by producing anything with it - Megna, Dorsett, Chaput cone to mind

 

Iys not about hard work alone. It's about hard work and results. Didn't Willie say it's not a try league it's a get it done league?

i just hope willie is fired  i think the vets are better than this its just garbage coaching systems and a horrible pp   i think under a new coach edler sedins get more points next yr as do our youngsters 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TheJoker said:

What does Benning mean by the "Two way street" comment in reference to Boeser?

 

It was my understanding he would be screwing himself over by not signing, no?

I believe he just means that Boeser has to want to sign too as he doesn't have to. And i believe if he doesn't sign by what the deadline is then he becomes a free agent and can sign with anyone.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

I believe he just means that Boeser has to want to sign too as he doesn't have to. And i believe if he doesn't sign by what the deadline is then he becomes a free agent and can sign with anyone.

 

That's still 2+ years away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a feeling they have so much invested in juolevi that's where the d man may come in.They will consider that Finnish defense man to partner with Olli.Secondly that would avoid the awkward second tier first line centre we may end up with only to finish even lower next year and get an oppurtunity to get a true number one offensive guy making this years pick obselete

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Didn't JB also say he would not ask players to waive their NTCs?  JB is clearly playing a political role here.

Yes he did but it was later explained that he did that to protect the players from the media scrutiny at the trade deadline so they could just focus on playing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, TheJoker said:

What does Benning mean by the "Two way street" comment in reference to Boeser?

 

It was my understanding he would be screwing himself over by not signing, no?

What he meant is that while the Canucks want to sign Boeser, it also depends on what he and his family want to do.

 

The club can't dictate - they'd like him to go pro, would like to have him step up to the AHL or NHL, but if his family and him want to continue with his education, you simply can't force the issue.

 

It has to be a two way street - so they'll sit down with Brock and his parents and see what they feel is best.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...