The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on 1040 - March 16 2017

tybarber

5 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Juolevi was always described as an "all around" defenseman, good at everything not great at anything.  I don't think anyone considers him a true PP QB.

Exactly, people seem to be thinking he should the highest scoring D man in the O. I wonder if they would grab Valmaiki.

Not sure of spelling.

6 hours ago, hearditall said:

JB's lack of movement last season TDL paid off big time this TDL. There is always a reason people, but I find it hilarious at times with the conspiracie theories here... 

I mean did ANYONE think we were getting a high end Prospect like Dahlen for Burrows a year ago. NO. Fact was that most here wanted him to be bought out of his contract. 

Also most thought Hansen would get us a 2nd or 3rd but again JB got us a little more than that & years ahead of the draft pick.

That's why I say let the GM be the GM...There's no way JB lets everything out of the tool box as we've seen now...(talks to WD on regular daily basis, supported WD's coaching, etc.)

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

Good.  Then the next step would be to apply it. ;)

ha! I was thrilled with how the kids stepped up tonight offensively... now those 20 shots in the 3rd have to be dealt with :P Oh right, no Tanev. 

thats the best our PP has looked in 3 years. thats progress. 

10 hours ago, canuktravella said:

next yrs  poossible line up should be decent

baertchi horvat boeser

goldobin sedin rodin 

sedin sutter eriksson 

dorsett gaunce boucher

juolevi guddy

edler liljengren

hutton tryamkin

stecher

marky

new backup whoever they sign

tanev traded for a top ten first and a decent prospect 

sbisa  traded so we dont lose him to ed for a second and prospect 

draft liljengren and  a skilled forward or 2

Granlund is our best offensive forward player right now. Horvat is our best all around forward player. I expect Granlund will be on one the top two lines. Also some trades will most likely happen which will change the look of the team. 

1 hour ago, kenhodgejr said:

Granlund is our best offensive forward player right now. Horvat is our best all around forward player. I expect Granlund will be on one the top two lines. Also some trades will most likely happen which will change the look of the team. 

ya id make three good lines  like 

baertchi horvat boeser

goldobin sedin granlund 

sedin sutter eriksson

and a grinder shutdown  4th line

dorsett gaunce virtanen

boucher and rodin as extras 

18 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

It was a good interview, typical honest Jim responses. I was impressed with Dahlen maybe getting a chance to play with the top club at the Worlds, that would be really great to see. 

I'm most interested in the potential drafting of another D... that sounds to me like Liljegren would be in the cards if we're lucky enough to drop to 4 in the lotto and Patrick, Hischier and Vilardi are gone. 

Right now they're picking 5/6/7th so Liljegren might be an option. I wouldn't rule out Cale Makar at that spot if he wants a high skilled D

19 hours ago, bones said:

I can buy the Goldobin flu. Had a flu in March last year that knocked me out for 10 days. If it is actuall the flu and not just a heavy cold, it can take a bit to get going again. 

Yeah, I was mistaken, I'm just used to flu's running Oct - Dec. That sounds like a horrible experience. 

18 hours ago, J.R. said:

Juolevi is not an offensive 'PP QB' D man. Neither is/was Edler. A lot of CDC seems to be VERY confused on different D roles/types...

Fair enough, I'm not going to pretend to know the playing styles of some of the prospects, especially considering I've seen very few actually play in their respective leagues. I agree, Edler was never that. I do like the idea of Benning getting another defenceman to add to the pool though, you just can't seem to have enough, assuming we fall out of the Top 2, which will likely happen.  

16 hours ago, spook007 said:

Well three things...

1, Sedins has deteriorated severely and faster than expected, without a doubt, but were still better than some of the young players coming in to the team, although probably won't be for long.

2. Injuries.

3. They have won games, not enough, but they've been in most games... 

Its been the plan to try to make the play offs, while the roster age has been reduced, and that can't be argued about. The discussion has been about the playing time of the youth, but as I stated, it has clearly been something they have agreed upon.... Its not something WD has decided himself. JB want the youth to earn their ice time...

I just find it funny how this earn your ice and development theory changes.  When the question is "why isn't this player playing more"?

The excuse always becomes "because he hasn't earned his ice yet"

But when people question WD on why a player is put in a position despite having earned that opportunity he replies with, "because i'm trying to develop".

“Last year, there were times people wondered: Why is this line starting in the offensive zone?” Desjardins said. “Maybe some guys are going: ‘This guy hasn’t won a draw and you’re putting him out there again?’ But you have to develop. We had to go through that year where we made development (a priority)…..  There’s no part of me that thinks losing is good, but we got some things done that we needed to last year.

I'm going to state something radical,

Opportunity needs to be "given" based on a players skilled, not necessarily "earned"....Holding onto and continually getting that opportunity is what needs to be "earned". 

14 hours ago, nucksnavsfan said:

Yes he did but it was later explained that he did that to protect the players from the media scrutiny at the trade deadline so they could just focus on playing.

Why would he not be doing the same now, but for Willie?  JB and TL are ex NHL players.  They tend to cover their mates' backs.

19 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

Plus, not all things a GM says is for the benefit of the fans. Sometimes it's posturing or drawing a line to get fair value. Some people wanted Benning to announce the availability of all the vets, which would have driven down their value. The last two trade deadlines, with the refusal to trade Hammy for less than value followed by two decent returns, is a clear message to other GMs that easy pickings are over and done.

I have said this time and again about the hammer deal, I'm glad now that this trade deadline has past more will realize what message Jim was sending.. I will not be fleeced, but if there's a hockey trade to be made he's willing to talk.

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I just find it funny how this earn your ice and development theory changes.  When the question is "why isn't this player playing more"?

But when people question WD on why a player is put in a position despite having earned that opportunity he replies with, "because i'm trying to develop".

“Last year, there were times people wondered: Why is this line starting in the offensive zone?” Desjardins said. “Maybe some guys are going: ‘This guy hasn’t won a draw and you’re putting him out there again?’ But you have to develop. We had to go through that year where we made development (a priority)…..  There’s no part of me that thinks losing is good, but we got some things done that we needed to last year.

Opportunity needs to be "given" based on a players skilled, not necessarily "earned"....Holding onto and continually getting that opportunity is what needs to be "earned". 

Sounds reasonable to this guy.

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

When Willie talked about development, it has to do with effectiveness as well.  You give players that are working hard more opportunity to see if they can grow their game. Take Boucher or Granlund for example.  Both are being given opportunities that match their skill set right?  

I have absolutely no problem with benching players that dont work hard to earn their opportunity.  If you want that ice time you've got to earn it.  top to bottom that should be the culture of this team (or any workplace for that matter, I can't stand lazy jack offs)

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I'm sure there is more than one way to teach youngsters to improve... Some will work one way, and some another... I feel they are improving, so WD must be doing something right.

The thing I responded to, was all the question marks being raised about WD going against management decision, when it came to playing time.

I've stated numerous times, I'm sure management has been in agreement with WD all along about his deployment, and that he had to play the team, he felt had the biggest chance to, achieve the playoffs target. 

Once they were out of the play off race, the focus changed towards more playing time for the younger players.

Who knows, maybe WD would have liked to play the youngsters more throughout the season... I am sure the coaches has a better ability to access which players gives the club the best chance to achieve any given target.

6 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

When Willie talked about development, it has to do with effectiveness as well.  You give players that are working hard more opportunity to see if they can grow their game. Take Boucher or Granlund for example.  Both are being given opportunities that match their skill set right?  

I have absolutely no problem with benching players that dont work hard to earn their opportunity.  If you want that ice time you've got to earn it.  top to bottom that should be the culture of this team (or any workplace for that matter, I can't stand lazy jack offs)

This is where is gets tricky.  Sometimes when players are low on confidence, they try to over think the game.  Instead of relying on instincts the try to process the game,  and because of that it makes them look like they are a few steps behind.  They are also more likely to make mistakes with the puck and be caught in the wrong position. 

There's a fine line between lazy and low of confidence.  Earning ice time has to do more about results than hard work.  If Ovi is lazy but still scores 60 goals. I'm going to still give him that offensive opportunity every time over a play like Dorsett who gives you 100% every night. 

2 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Interesting that JB would go after a PP defenseman.  People that think he is short sighted in his moves need to look no further than the last year's and the upcoming draft.  

I'm not the slightest surprised. 

If he feels that there is a D-man, whom are far ahead of the rest, when we pick, then you pick him. Develop him and at worst have a good bargain chip for the future. 

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

This is where is gets tricky.  Sometimes when players are low on confidence, they try to over think the game.  Instead of relying on instincts the try to process the game,  and because of that it makes them look like they are a few steps behind.  They are also more likely to make mistakes with the puck and be caught in the wrong position. 

There's a fine line between lazy and low of confidence.  Earning ice time has to do more about results than hard work.  If Ovi is lazy but still scores 60 goals. I'm going to still give him that offensive opportunity every time over a play like Dorsett who gives you 100% every night. 

Sure, I dont WD is that far off from what you're thinking though.  You don't have to be Dorsett to earn ice time, but at the very least you probably have to show consistency in your effort.  This is the NHL after all.  It's the best job as a hockey player that you can have and a competitive sport so it makes sense to put your work boots on.  

Archived