The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

UBC Arts or SFU Business

Michael Scofield

Hey guys,

I've gotten accepted to both programs and I honestly don't know which to pick. UBC has been my dream school since I was a kid and when I got in, I was ecstatic. If I go to UBC, I plan on transferring to Sauder after 1st year but if that fails, I'd look to major in Econ and minor in Commerce. Sfu business, on the other hand, is a school that I don't really want to go to because I feel like the vibe and the atmosphere is literally terrible. I've been to SFU a lot and I literally hate walking around campus, but I know they have a good business school. The only thing holding me back from accepting UBC's offer is the amount of math in Econ in years 2,3, and 4 as well as jobs after my undergrad. I'm hoping to pursue an MBA later on and my goal is to hopefully become an Investment banker. I want the ability to have a good Uni life, as well as being apart of a great school and community. What school would be the best for me?

Just now, Michael Scofield said:

I got in a few weeks ago, finished my supplemental in Jan

Ok so it takes 4-6 weeks to hear back? By buddy is impatient and thinks it is a bad sign he hasn't heard back yet. Although He applied around March 25th just before the deadline

Just now, Outsiders said:

Ok so it takes 4-6 weeks to hear back? By buddy is impatient and thinks it is a bad sign he hasn't heard back yet. Although He applied around March 25th just before the deadline

What was his average? Beedie usually sends out acceptances around April or May, so he shouldn't be worried at all. 

Go to UBC and transfer into Business, just make sure you study hard in your first year to get decent grades.

It sounds like you prefer UBC and I think you would regret settling for your 2nd choice, especially when your first choice of going to Sauder is still very much obtainable.

Also, as a SFU alumi:  Screw that place.  

I hated every moment I was on campus and would personally advise anyone who wants to partake in the "University Lifestyle" to stay far away from it.

I went to SFU, have a PhD from another uni.  Sounds like you want to go to UBC.  Why avoid tough courses - life doesn't work that way.  I enjoyed my time at SFU and at least for me and my friends we had a great time.  Two of my friends studied business at SFU and are now investment bankers.   One is a VP and both make big money.    You get out of life what you put in to it.   

Did my Biz Schooling at SAIT back in the 90's...pretty cool campus life (saw Bare Naked Ladies @ Sparty's Lounge - before they were big of course).

The only thing I remember about SFU is the jokes we used make back in the day (I was a tech guy - Robotics):

What did the SFU grad say to the BCIT grad?

"Would you like fries with that sir"?...so I guess take it from there.

Hey man, I actually go to SFU Beedie. If you want to be an investment banker in the future, we something called the Beedie Endowment Asset Management where select group of students (they recruit every year) manage a 5 million investment fund. https://beedie.sfu.ca/beam/ Most student who go through the program end up working with the large banks in Canada. 

A friend of mine actually had the same problem as you. She ended up choosing UBC Arts but the catch is, she couldnt transfer into Sauder as its highly competitive to do internal transfers. It took her a couple years but she got accepted to SFU Beedie and is doing fairly well. Why go into Arts when youre already accepted into a good business school at SFU :P.

The Beedie community is exceptional and its very open minded. You get to converse with older students through different programs that Beedie offers. So you'll definitely make friends and have a fun time at SFU. Maybe its because you just walk around the campus that you get that feel and not actually having to know the people within the school!

I totally get the whole "it looks gloomy", no nightlife and it isnt as glorified as UBC. Buts its not the end all be all for the reason for you not to go to a school because of its nightlife. I'm quite happy for the fact that I chose Beedie over Sauder. 

And for the comment about travelling: Beedie is partnered up with a $&!# ton of school around the world and you can do exchange programs to anywhere. I just came back from 4 months in Germany and got to travel around all over Europe. 

Thats my schpeel man, but go wherever you want to go! Seems like you made up your decision already. You're just asking for comfort from your peers :). If you have any questions let me know! 

Archived