The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Baertschi & Granlund expectations

Sugar baby watermelon

Going through the posts on here, it seems that Baertschi and Granlund are pretty underrated in CDC and everyone is all set to pencil in Dahlen, Goldobin and even Virtanen ahead of these guys next year or that they will be traded off to some other team for draft picks now that they have had really good seasons.  Both are still young, 23 & 24yrs, and this year is their 1st full year playing solid minutes, I think Benning won't be shopping them in the off-season like some ppl in here seem to think.  Both have produced above their expectations this year and their is IMO more that they are capable of doing if given the chance to grow, which they should.  

Baertschi has great chemistry with Bo so no need to mess with that, maybe next year they can find that RW to make them near unstoppable, although just the two of them are giving other teams fits.  Maybe time to change up that 1st PP unit and slide him up to see what he can do, I can see it being his bread and butter for getting points.  Looks like Erikkson would be the ideal fit next year to complement these 2, he has positive puck possession and will most likely have a bounce back year, & if given the chance to play with these 2 young bucks should help that line explode.  I don't think Virtanen is ready to make the jump, we will have to see come training camp.

Granlund in his 1st full year has 19 markers and counting, that's huge!  He has had quite a few different linemates and he is still having a positive impact, with the latest being the twins.  If he plays with the twins full time next year, who knows, 25 goals is not a reach is it?  Look at his brother, he had 3 seasons playing in Minnesota before he blew up this year, and Markus is having a great season this year, you never know what he is capable of, if anything like his brother then it's a huge win in that trade with Calgary.  

Kind of an appreciation post but one to find out what other CDC members think of these 2 and how they fit into the Canucks future.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Could Granlund and be Top six forwards on Cup level teams?  

no and you could say the same for dahlen, goldobin and virtanen as well but in 1–3 years? who knows

seeing as to how the teams goal is to "rebuild" they fit in perfectly fine with the current strategy and they're both looking much better now than they did at the beginning of the year.

unless jim can flip them for significantly better players they should pretty much be untouchable imo

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Could Granlund and be Top six forwards on Cup level teams?  

Too early to tell.

Both are trending, no probably not to all star level, to be solid NHL players. Guys like them are routinely 3rd liners on cup teams. And only 3rd line because the team, see Chicago or Wash, is so ridiculous. But they are only one level down from guys like Tanner Pearson. And could still surpass him. Both could be considered to have more skill.

Good post btw OP @Sugar baby watermelon 

The way they've both played this year is promising. There's no reason to think they won't develop further into effective top 6 players, ideally 2nd liners though. because neither have that "it factor" or flair that elite first line wingers have.

The elite winger is what we're all hoping for, not to diminish Baer or Granny, they're just not those guys. They're fricken awesome hockey players though, and I like 'em.

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Too early to tell.

Both are trending, no probably not to all star level, to be solid NHL players. Guys like them are routinely 3rd liners on cup teams. And only 3rd line because the team, see Chicago or Wash, is so ridiculous. But they are only one level down from guys like Tanner Pearson. And could still surpass him. Both could be considered to have more skill.

Good post btw OP @Sugar baby watermelon 

Thanks!  

5 minutes ago, nuck7635 said:

no and you could say the same for dahlen, goldobin and virtanen as well but in 1–3 years? who knows

seeing as to how the teams goal is to "rebuild" they fit in perfectly fine with the current strategy and they're both looking much better now than they did at the beginning of the year.

unless jim can flip them for significantly better players they should pretty much be untouchable imo

Good answer!  If these 2 didn't pan out and Shinkaruk went on to score 20 goals, Benning would be gone probably lol.  

7 minutes ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

Going through the posts on here, it seems that Baertschi and Granlund are pretty underrated in CDC and everyone is all set to pencil in Dahlen, Goldobin and even Virtanen ahead of these guys next year or that they will be traded off to some other team for draft picks now that they have had really good seasons.  

:huh: 

Really?

I'm on here quite a bit but somehow I haven't come across these posts you're talking about.

I can't remember once reading somebody who wants to vault Goldobin, Dahlén, and Virtanen ahead of everyone else and trade away Baertschi and Granlund for picks.

Maybe I'm just reading the wrong threads?

But I'm glad to see some appreciation for our young players, who provide much of the light in an otherwise dark season, and who have definitely shouldered much of the weight in the second half and become major reasons (alongside our goaltending) why we stay in games and make the score respectable most nights.

I just don't see praise for Baertschi and Granlund being at a shortage here or them being underrated. Seems like most people around here are pretty high on those two guys.

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

:huh: 

Really?

I'm on here quite a bit but somehow I haven't come across these posts you're talking about.

I can't remember once reading somebody who wants to vault Goldobin, Dahlén, and Virtanen ahead of everyone else and trade away Baertschi and Granlund for picks.

Maybe I'm just reading the wrong threads?

But I'm glad to see some appreciation for our young players, who provide much of the light in an otherwise dark season, and who have definitely shouldered much of the weight in the second half and become major reasons (alongside our goaltending) why we stay in games and make the score respectable most nights.

I just don't see praise for Baertschi and Granlund being at a shortage here or them being underrated. Seems like most people around here are pretty high on those two guys.

Gunna have some fun with @J.R. who in this tagged post had traded one, the other 3rd line in an edit (after being reminded he forgot one)  ...  

Point is they do get forgotten in the enthusiasm of things sometimes.  Its just the nature of forums.  I've done it. More than twice. There is less reason to have limits on longer term prospects while our hopes are still highest? 

But I think its becoming consensus, yes, that these guys are digging in to be top 6 forwards for us. 

6 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Gunna have some fun with @J.R. who in this tagged post had traded one, the other 3rd line in an edit (after being reminded he forgot one)  ...  

Point is they do get forgotten in the enthusiasm of things sometimes.  Its just the nature of forums.  I've done it. More than twice. There is less reason to have limits on longer term prospects while our hopes are still highest? 

But I think its becoming consensus, yes, that these guys are digging in to be top 6 forwards for us. 

Yeah, but I think @J.R. was talking about a future team, years down the road. In which case I probably also hope that we've drafted/developed and acquired superior players that might force some current guys (including Granlund or Baer) down the lineup or even make them expendable as potential trade chips.

But as far as next season and the immediate future goes, Granny and Baer look like solid parts of our young core. Ideally progressing even further and establishing themselves as perennial top-sixers. But if not, hopefully the next wave of youngsters is even better than the current group.

I could see them both continuing to grow into second line players, or even first line players on our weaker offensive team. Someone's gotta play on that top line.

Grandlund has been a pleasant revelation, and Baer has taken steps forward too. Wouldn't be surprised to see either of them build on their numbers next season. They're also more established in the lineup too, I don't see prospects knocking them down the pecking order any time soon.

11 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I like Baer, solid 2nd liner who can produce at near 1st line level. I'd trade/package him in a heart beat to get a legit 1st liner though (as per that post).

And I didn't forget Granlund, I just only posted the top 6 initially and decided to add the rest in the later edit (before you 'reminded' me FWIW ;) ). 

6 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, but I think @J.R. was talking about a future team, years down the road. In which case I probably also hope that we've drafted/developed and acquired superior players that might force some current guys (including Granlund or Baer) down the lineup or even make them expendable as potential trade chips.

But as far as next season and the immediate future goes, Granny and Baer look like solid parts of our young core. Ideally progressing even further and establishing themselves as perennial top-sixers. But if not, hopefully the next wave of youngsters is even better than the current group.

Yup that was a post-Sedin 2-3+ year down the line roster.

1 minute ago, TimberWolf said:

They remind me of younger versions of Raymond and Higgins. Not bad, decent complimentary and would be great if we had the depth to make them line three players. 

Bang on.  Maybe in time we are good again, and have five other top six forwards to compliment Bo?  Then Baer and Granlund would be excellent third line players for us.

Archived