The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are you listening to? Metal version!

Rate this topic

Coconuts

On 8/26/2018 at 10:03 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

He is simply the best guitar player currently breathing air.   Guy can play so many styles and continues to evolve.   His voice has come along for the ride nicely too.  This latest effort of his is solid - each track a great offering.

Agreed. It's been neat how his voice has progressed actually, he even featured on a Fortress AB song after his first solo album if I remember correctly. I've always had a lot of respect for lead guitarists who sing as well.

• Cheers 1
On 2018-08-20 at 10:13 PM, Coconuts said:

Honestly, Mark Tremonti is a monster. People can debate Creed til the end of time but he's never put out a bad album. Dude just continues to evolve.

Sorry I dig most of the metal posts from you in this thread but this one is just I dunno.....

sum 41 riffs and the opening lyric includes

”I’ll take your hand in mind and never let go.......” at the same time he acts out some sort of hand gesture thing.

wtf.?

Just keeping it real.  I have to.  Metal is metal and I don’t hear any metal here.

honestly don’t see how this is so far away from creed....sped up palm muted strokes on guitar don’t a metal riff make.

ill put on my fire retardant clothing while you and @Rob_Zepp flame me as I know I loves hear guys.

for example a comparative lyric in a song by Cursed called “friends in the music business” states:

”don’t want to bite the hand that feeds.  I wanna &^@#ing break it off.”

thats metal.

• Cheers 1
2 hours ago, riffraff said:

Sorry I dig most of the metal posts from you in this thread but this one is just I dunno.....

”I’ll take your hand in mind and never let go.......” at the same time he acts out some sort of hand gesture thing.

wtf.?

Just keeping it real.  I have to.  Metal is metal and I don’t hear any metal here.

honestly don’t see how this is so far away from creed....sped up palm muted strokes on guitar don’t a metal riff make.

ill put on my fire retardant clothing while you and @Rob_Zepp flame me as I know I loves hear guys.

for example a comparative lyric in a song by Cursed called “friends in the music business” states:

thats metal.

I LOVE my metal inclusive of most of the modern and older Swedish and Norway Death/Melodic varieties but I think you are doing Mark a disservice.   Sure his lyrics and singing are not of the "gargle with hot oil" variety but his riffs are pure metal.   Just like people like to crap on Trivium for some reason, it is great metal guitar.   Listen to Arch Enemy - just the guitar....how is that more "hard core" than Tremonti or what Matt and Corey offer up with Trivium - yes, her singing is miles different as is lyrical content but guitar?    

I guess I am easily seduced by the guitar.   

Hopefully we can agree on Soilwork and older Opeth as some of the best.    One of my new favs has been discovering Tribulation and Insomnium as live acts - GREAT guitar and enough growl to keep people who want hands broken off happy one would think.

44 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I LOVE my metal inclusive of most of the modern and older Swedish and Norway Death/Melodic varieties but I think you are doing Mark a disservice.   Sure his lyrics and singing are not of the "gargle with hot oil" variety but his riffs are pure metal.   Just like people like to crap on Trivium for some reason, it is great metal guitar.   Listen to Arch Enemy - just the guitar....how is that more "hard core" than Tremonti or what Matt and Corey offer up with Trivium - yes, her singing is miles different as is lyrical content but guitar?    

I guess I am easily seduced by the guitar.   

Hopefully we can agree on Soilwork and older Opeth as some of the best.    One of my new favs has been discovering Tribulation and Insomnium as live acts - GREAT guitar and enough growl to keep people who want hands broken off happy one would think.

I love these debates as I’m a tooooootal music nerd.  I will listen to soilwork and reply.

4 hours ago, riffraff said:

wtf.?

thats metal.

That's fair, you don't have to have the same take on it as either of us. That's the beautiful things about music, and about metal really you know? Tremonti's got a few different elements going for them throughout their albums. From alt metal to hard rock, from thrash elements to a bit of post grunge (which makes sense to me given where he's come from), but I've always taken more of a speed metal influence from their music than anything. Personally I see it as a far cry from Creed, it'd be closer to Alter Bridge than anything but it's still a good step or two beyond that.

This song doesn't do it for ya but I'd definitely recommend checking out the Cauterize and Dust albums, they're tremendous displays of what he's capable of as a guitarist.