The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are you listening to? Metal version!

Rate this topic

Coconuts

This whole time I’ve been missing out on the Punk and Metal threads damn. Haven’t looked in White Noise for years. I knew there was a “What are you Listening to” Thread but I knew that would be boring. 

This is where I find out who my real Hommies are at!

• Cheers 2
19 hours ago, Devron44 said:

This whole time I’ve been missing out on the Punk and Metal threads damn. Haven’t looked in White Noise for years. I knew there was a “What are you Listening to” Thread but I knew that would be boring. 

Haha, welcome aboard! Yeah, there's a few specific music threads floating around 

• Cheers 1

Haven’t read through all the pages so hope this hasn’t been post yet.

Pretty standard Death Metal but I just love these guys. They look like some regular dudes that just got off a construction job shift and love to head bang after work haha 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
On 3/28/2021 at 12:29 AM, Devron44 said:

Hails

5349feb9fe3037710153a02531aeb71c--funny-qoutes-funny-shit.jpg

• Haha 2

@Coconuts @falcon45ca@Davathor @Kryten @Gollumpus @Devron44

& anyone who would like to participate!

This was brought up in another thread so I thought I'd ask here.  Your top 5 metal albums that influenced you or consider a favorite for whatever reason.  

Bonus points for posting a YT video of the album or fav. song and a blurb about it.

Edited by Angry Goose
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

I'm just heading out, but this album changed my life and took me from dabbling in 'metal' like Metallica to going deep into heavy metal, even until this day.

We were pulled up to the sand pits, probly 16 years old in my buddies '87 Ford topaz. Started hotboxing it when my friend says "hey check this $&!# out" and this song came on

To this day, still one of the best metal albums that I can play cover to cover and not get bored.

I'll put some thought into the other 4, Iron Maiden Killers is on there for sure. Good topic

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
7 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

This was brought up in another thread so I thought I'd ask here.  Your top 5 metal albums that influenced you or consider a favorite for whatever reason.  

Bonus points for posting a YT video of the album or fav. song and a blurb about it.

Top 5 Metal Albums

Metallica - Ride the Lightning 

I was first introduced to Metallica thru the Black album, and thought it was great....until I heard Ride the Lightning. So much more metal, this album gave me a huge passion for thrash metal of the 80's

White Zombie - AstroCreep 2000

This album had it all for me....groovy hooks, greasy guitars, pounding drums, and a metal vocal style I'd never heard before.

The Haunted - The Dead Eye

This Swedish thrash metal band grabbed me with their infectious riffs, deadly vocals, incredible lyrics, dynamics, non-stop onslaught of drums...just incredible. I easily drive 50km over the speed limit when this album is pumping.

TOOL - Lateralus

This album really opened my eyes as to what music can do. Not just spiritually, but the arrangements, the musicianship, the interplay. Every song has all the players moving in the same direction on different paths. There's never been a band like TOOL before, and there will never be another one. They are truly singular.

Mastodon - Blood Mountain

This was the 1st album I bought of these guys, and I haven't looked back since. So much vocal depth, heavy riffs, and a beast of a drummer. Absolutely love the 'Don

While I have very many more fav Metal albums, these are 5 you can put on any day, any time, and I'll listen to them cover to cover.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
13 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

Oh man, favourites are hard as I find they're always shifting. But I'll give it a shot from what my tastes feel like today. In no particular order, because order is hard.. 

Katatonia's "The Great Cold Distance" is one of em. Katatonia's interesting in that their sound have shifted gradually over time, but they've retained their trademark melancholy vibes throughout each of their offerings. Their more modern albums sound more polished, and there's more focus on clean vocals after their second album. The Great Cold Distance is a depressing medium between the two, and lands about halfway through their musical timeline.

The thing I like most about their sound, and their songs, is how atmospheric they are. Full of emotion, but leaning towards a more dreary and depressing sound which resonates with me on various levels. 

Next would be Type O Negative's "October Rust", which I would call a quintessential goth metal album. Nobody sings like Peter Steele, just like nobody sings like Layne Staley. There's been nobody quite like them since. Bloody Kisses may be the more popular release, but October Rust is my favourite. Stumbled across them in my early 20's and they opened the door for me to dabble in other forms of metal.

And then there's Edguy's "Hellfire Club" in which you hear them at perhaps the height of their power metal glory. Fantastic German metal band who are currently idle as Tobias focuses on his Avantasia project, which is also very good! I think I stumbled across them at like.. 20? 21? They opened the door for me to get away from the more radio friendly metal I'd heard, your Metallica and the like. They've got some great humour interwoven into their music, gotta love the Germans. 

Here's one of my favourites from Avantasia. Jorn has such a powerful voice. 

Powerwolf's a fairly well known band now, one who puts on amazing live shows, but they weren't nearly as well known back in 2011. Their "Blood of the Saints" album is what drew me in, and they've become quite a formidable band in the years since. More power metal, but I've got a soft spot for power metal. Those German power metal bands are something else.

Fantastic album, drawing on the werewolf theme and religious themes like the rest of their releases. Here's a live version of one of the songs off the album. They're one of those bands who is just as good, if not better, live. 

And then there's the mighty Amon Amarth! Saw them live with Entombed A.D. and Exmortus at the Commodore a number of years back. More on the death metal side of things, but many call them viking metal. One of the bands I latched on to when I started exploring more European metal bands back in my late teens. 

Twilight Of The Thunder God is still one of my favourite metal albums all the way through, and still features some of their fan favourites despite several albums since. 

Special mentions

Alestorm is one of my favourites, they're such a goofy bunch and they don't take themselves all that seriously. Their humour makes it's way into their music, which they do take seriously when it comes to musicianship. Fantastic band. 

Simone's gotta be one of the most beautiful women in metal imo, she def played a part in my initial appeal to the band. But their music is super legit, symphonic metal is the $&!#. Epica is a great band, and she's got a fantastic voice.

These guys are almost a guilty pleasure of mine, given how fused death vocals, power metal vocals, and pop hooks together. Elize is gorgeous too, good god. But yeah, their music is legit and I love it. I give Elize props for sticking with a metal band as opposed to making what would probably be a rather easy entrance into pop music. 

They've got a couple new vocalists, so here's something a bit more recent. I miss the old vocalists, but I really dig their new additions as well which is quite rare imo.

These guys unfortunately called it quits, shame I didn't find them til years later. JP's got one of my favourite voices. Gotta love some Finnish goth metal. 

Scar Symmetry are a Swedish melodic death metal band, they had some early success with a different vocalists but have put out great stuff since. Still waiting on the follow up to their 2014 album. 

Folk metal from Finland! I've got a soft spot for folk metal..

Eluveitie is great folk metal too, though Anna's since gone on to do her own thing with Cellar Darling; who's members are all ex-Eluveitie. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Angry Goose said:

Totally right?  I just thought it would be nice to hear people share a few thoughts about bands/albums that have a big impact on people.  It's been a nice diverse mix so far!

Definitely, which is part of why the metal umbrella is so interesting. You can jump from black, to death, to folk, to sludge, to melodic death, to metalcore, to gothic, to symphonic, to speed, to classic heavy.. 

It goes on, and on, and on.

Which reminds me, I still need to go do the punk one I said I'd do. 

• Cheers 1

Guess you could call me stuck in the past. Most of my listening is background to when I'm working (reading medical records and making disability decisions) or writing (first book now with a publisher, going to print later this year, and working on the second book of the trilogy). Usually Pink Floyd, Tubular Bells, early Chicago, a lot of acoustic stuff, ie nothing I'm gonna get distracted and start rocking out!

• Cheers 1
On 4/7/2021 at 2:39 AM, Angry Goose said:

I'm not really a Metal kind of guy (Jazz, Classical, R&B, Blues with a bit of a revived interest in Punk, Hip Hop, and a slight re-emergencing interest in Rock/Hard Rock - Band Maid). My (limited) current interests are based on songs/bands I am finding from Japanese music sites, but I'll be glad to share what I find as I go along.  :)

This is a pretty good site: https://rateyourmusic.com/ and more with a focus on "Girl" bands: https://rateyourmusic.com/list/sandiron/a-list-of-japanese-all-girl-bands/

regards,  G.

• Cheers 2