The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are you listening to? Metal version!

Rate this topic

Coconuts

Here's something which I may have submitted earlier. Albion is now defunct power metal band (2013 - 15). I'm unaware if they wrote their own songs or had things written for them.

They have the look, and they play fast, but they were lacking *something* (imo). A real drummer might have been nice (a good drummer can save a song which is drifting from the beat), and perhaps a rhythm guitar to round out the sound. Mostly, I find the vocals were the most significant concern. They either needed to get a different vocalist, or a supporting vocalist to counter-point the sound of the woman who was singing. A more soprano(ish) voice to compliment the singer in this song might have helped rather than relying only on backing tracks and drum machines.

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1
On 4/7/2021 at 2:39 AM, Angry Goose said:

@Coconuts @falcon45ca@Davathor @Kryten @Gollumpus @Devron44

& anyone who would like to participate!

This was brought up in another thread so I thought I'd ask here.  Your top 5 metal albums that influenced you or consider a favorite for whatever reason.  

Bonus points for posting a YT video of the album or fav. song and a blurb about it.

This list will not be as original as others. Good music is good music, even if it is now considered mainstream. 

1. Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power

My introduction to metal, will be forever grateful. 

2. Metallica - Master of Puppets

Probably the best metal album ever. Never gets old.

3. Ministry - The Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste

This band is criminally underrated. Their live shows were so $&@#ing entertaining. 

4. Soulfly - Primitive

Incredible album reminds me of many great nights with friends and teammates. Loved that this band experimented with different genres and who doesn’t enjoy tribal drums? (And yes, also a Sepultura fan). The posted song is one of my favourites. 

5. Disturbed - Ten Thousand Fists In The Air

Another great album that never gets old, love that I can play it through without skipping a single track.

This was a difficult list to make as there are many albums that influenced me that I didn’t mention as they either aren’t really considered metal or they just did not have enough bangers IMO to make the list.

Some of my other loves: Surfer Rosa, Independent Worm Saloon, Nevermind, No Control, RATM, Demanufacture, Bloody Pit of Horror, Toxicity, All Hope Is Gone, Chamber Music, Doolittle, Pioughed. Also any song performed by Floor Jansen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
On 3/28/2021 at 9:50 PM, Devron44 said:

Haven’t read through all the pages so hope this hasn’t been post yet.

Pretty standard Death Metal but I just love these guys. They look like some regular dudes that just got off a construction job shift and love to head bang after work haha 

Yep. Banger. Love it. Thank you. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...