The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are you listening to? Metal version!

Rate this topic

Coconuts

1 hour ago, D.B Cooper said:

VoM was one of my favourite metal bands……. Until they started doing that wieneboy clean singing. 
Way to take al the hard aggression out of your music.   
Biggest metal boner killer ever. lol 

Damn that’s one of the cringiest takes I’ve heard in awhile.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Sorry, but IMO, there is a line between teenybopper and metal, and VoM crossed. 

oh god you’re a “that’s not real metal” guy.

Yeah I can totally see teenagers flossing along to Viscera right next to Ed Sheeran and Billie Eyelash because the vocalist doesn’t gag on every last syllable.

38 minutes ago, McBackup said:

oh god you’re a “that’s not real metal” guy.

Yeah I can totally see teenagers flossing along to Viscera right next to Ed Sheeran and Billie Eyelash because the vocalist doesn’t gag on every last syllable.

No no no.  
THAT voice isn’t real metal.  Lol. 
Clean singing can fit fine in metal. 
As a band that didn’t use it before, I think Veil went with the wrong guy. 
The straight up emo whine this guy does, doesn’t fit the band and makes them sound too much like every other emo-core band.  

Butler was an AMAZING vocalist who helped take the band to the next level. 

They just haven’t been the same since he left. 

2 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

No no no.  
THAT voice isn’t real metal.  Lol. 
Clean singing can fit fine in metal. 
As a band that didn’t use it before, I think Veil went with the wrong guy. 
The straight up emo whine this guy does, doesn’t fit the band and makes them sound too much like every other emo-core band.  

Butler was an AMAZING vocalist who helped take the band to the next level. 

They just haven’t been the same since he left. 

Last I checked they’re playing metal music in a metal band. That makes them metal.  I’ve seen them live and the guy had probably the most technically proficient unclean vocals I’ve heard in a live setting. Because you don’t care for the timbre of his voice doesn’t mean it isn’t “real” metal. That concept is promoted by people who base their entire identity on being a metal head and need to project how tough they are because of the music they listen to. Same goes for people who say something isn’t “real” Hip-Hop, Country, etc, because they have an incredibly warped sense of authenticity.  It’s embarrassing and the gatekeeping over how br00tal you can sound is a massive part of the reason metal isn’t really seen as a serious genre. 

Bruce Dickinson and Dave Mustaine have unfathomably whiny singing voices. Are you going to tell me Iron Maiden and Megadeth aren’t real metal? 

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, McBackup said:

Last I checked they’re playing metal music in a metal band. That makes them metal.  I’ve seen them live and the guy had probably the most technically proficient unclean vocals I’ve heard in a live setting. Because you don’t care for the timbre of his voice doesn’t mean it isn’t “real” metal. That concept is promoted by people who base their entire identity on being a metal head and need to project how tough they are because of the music they listen to. Same goes for people who say something isn’t “real” Hip-Hop, Country, etc, because they have an incredibly warped sense of authenticity.  It’s embarrassing and the gatekeeping over how br00tal you can sound is a massive part of the reason metal isn’t really seen as a serious genre. 

Bruce Dickinson and Dave Mustaine have unfathomably whiny singing voices. Are you going to tell me Iron Maiden and Megadeth aren’t real metal? 

I’m really sorry my opinion bothers you so much.   
Ive seen them live 10+ times over the last almost 15 years with 2 different vocalists.   
You might not want to read this, as it will probably upset you.  
The new guy is ok, but his clean vocals make me want to grow out my bangs and swoop them over to the side.  
Butler was better. 
You can go back to over thinking my comments again if you like. 

10 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

I’m really sorry my opinion bothers you so much.   
Ive seen them live 10+ times over the last almost 15 years with 2 different vocalists.   
You might not want to read this, as it will probably upset you.  
The new guy is ok, but his clean vocals make me want to grow out my bangs and swoop them over to the side.  
Butler was better. 
You can go back to over thinking my comments again if you like. 

I’m not overthinking or upset. I’m discussing metal in the metal thread. If you can’t handle someone not kowtowing to your opinion when you reply to their posts, you probably shouldn’t do it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...