The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedins are Second to Wayne Gretzky and Jari Kurri(NHL Record)

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

I didn't know this and read this after the game in Chicago, pretty interesting stuff especially when you have a guy named Gretzky in the talk, anytime you have a chance to pass Gretzky in the record books is a big thing in my mind. 

This NHL record is for players who have combined points on a goal, with the way the NHL is now a days it's not easy to play with the same player all the time, but luckily for the Sedins they have.

The Sedins combined on goals for the 703rd and 704th times, second only to Wayne Gretzky and Jari Kurri, who did it 764 times.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/daniel-sedin-scores-ot-lift-canucks-blackhawks/

thanks @skeena1

GRETZKY-KURRI               764

DANIEL - HENRIK              745

BOSSY-TROTTIER              622

HOWE-DELVECCHIO        560

DIONNE-TAYLOR               476

Will update every so often

Updated to April 7th 2018 after EDM game!

Congrats to the Sedins on terrific NHL careers, no question the Sedins would of broke this record if they played 1 more season, but record or not what they accomplished hasn't been seen in a long time, just glad these guys got to play their whole careers together and made us Vancouver fans grateful for what they did for this whole city! In our eyes Sedins you're #1!

7 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I don't know if the Sedins have it in them to score 61 more times with each other. Would probably take another 3 Seasons.

I get the impression that it would count if they were the first and second assists on someone else's goal.

I mean, they haven't even scored 700 goals combined between them, so the record can't require one of them to have the goal.

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Can they.....will they....break the record?

Amazing imo that they're even within striking distance of this stat given the differences in scoring during the respective eras of play.

It definitely helps to play with the same guy for 16 years but it is still impressive. Hopefully they have it in them to break that record before they retire.

10 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I would have assumed it would be Backstrom and Ovechkin.  

The majority of their points are when Ovi scores. They don't get many points when both Backstrom and Ovi get assists on someone else's goal. The Sedins get points off other people's goals, as well as many of Daniels goals.

That we have players in the same discussion as Gretzky and Kurri is pretty huge in itself.

As the Sedins wind down, it's important to keep in mind what they HAVE accomplished, not just what they haven't.  It's been SO special to have seen them do what they do, in the manner that they've done it.  

Remember, guys like Gretzy and Kurri also had other guys named Semenko helping pave the way for them...the Sedins have not.  People who say they aren't "tough" have to keep this stuff in mind.

There's suck it up and go to work against the odds every single game despite being targeted tough, not just drop the gloves and fight tough.

Thanks for sharing this.  It's easy for some to just "slam" the twins at this point....but it's a matter of respect to me, and they have earned mine.  This just reinforces it.

21 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I get the impression that it would count if they were the first and second assists on someone else's goal.

I mean, they haven't even scored 700 goals combined between them, so the record can't require one of them to have the goal.

I believe your correct as you said between them both they haven't scored a total of 700 goals yet, so it would assume it counts for them both assisting on a goal.

8 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

T

Remember, guys like Gretzy and Kurri also had other guys named Semenko helping pave the way for them...the Sedins have not.  People who say they aren't "tough" have to keep this stuff in mind.

There's suck it up and go to work against the odds despite being targeted all game tough, not just drop the gloves and fight tough.

Thanks for sharing this.  It's easy to "slam" the twins at this point for some....but it's a matter of respect to me and they have earned mine.  This just reinforces it.

Thats certainly true. Gretzky and Kurri were not know for their truculence, though Wayne did whine to the refs a fair bit and Kurri might have said bad things to them in Finnish :)

Not to take anything away from Gretzky and Kurri but I think the Sedins accomplished is more impressive because the Sedins played in the current era where there is systematic defence and much tougher to score these days than Gertzky and Kurri did in the open puck era in the 80s.

Archived