The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedins are Second to Wayne Gretzky and Jari Kurri(NHL Record)

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I get the impression that it would count if they were the first and second assists on someone else's goal.

I mean, they haven't even scored 700 goals combined between them, so the record can't require one of them to have the goal.

Makes sense. That would require them to have 60 assists each -- can be done in 2 seasons. 

That's amazing. They have more combo'ed points than:

Howe - Delvecchio

Bossy - Trottier

(I assume)....

I can't verify the authenticity of this:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=957543

But it's looks right... From 2011. Couldn't find anything else. @ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Skip to post #46... it added a bunch of unrecorded points. 

2 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I didn't know this and read this after the game in Chicago, pretty interesting stuff especially when you have a guy named Gretzky in the talk, anytime you have a chance to pass Gretzky in the record books is a big thing in my mind. 

This NHL record is for players who have combined points on a goal, with the way the NHL is now a days it's not easy to play with the same player all the time, but luckily for the Sedins they have.

The Sedins combined on goals for the 703rd and 704th times, second only to Wayne Gretzky and Jari Kurri, who did it 764 times.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/daniel-sedin-scores-ot-lift-canucks-blackhawks/

Btw: If anyone can find a stat column or stat page for this stat would highly appreciate it, would like to see who else is on the list, but I tried looking and couldn't find one.

see if you can sort out exactly what this stat/record is ? 

you have my curiosity up

11 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

see if you can sort out exactly what this stat/record is ? 

you have my curiosity up

The poster post above from an old HFBoards post on something similar. The part I have bolded is the quote from the Sportsnet game recap, and it's the same thing TheScore wrote, but it's very vague in what it really is...

PS I don't know how to put something in quote box on this app for Android, never have been able to figure that one out....

1 minute ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

The poster post above from an old HFBoards post on something similar. The part I have bolded is the quote from the Sportsnet game recap, and it's the same thing TheScore wrote, but it's very vague in what it really is...

gotcha

so not sure exactly what we are excited about

there clearly is something there though

just got to get it sorted a bit more i guess

i'l see if i can figure out what the details really are

Just now, coastal.view said:

gotcha

so not sure exactly what we are excited about

there clearly is something there though

just got to get it sorted a bit more i guess

i'l see if i can figure out what the details really are

As someone else stated Daniel and Henrik don't even have a total of 700 goals between them both, so I believe the stat is they were in on a goal together whether it was just assists or a goal and assist. Basically 704 times they have been credited with a point on the same goal is what I think.

9 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

As someone else stated Daniel and Henrik don't even have a total of 700 goals between them both, so I believe the stat is they were in on a goal together whether it was just assists or a goal and assist. Basically 704 times they have been credited with a point on the same goal is what I think.

that is a pretty incredible stat if you are correct

it means they were in on about 70% of each others points

despite playing separately during injury periods

and there had to be some scoring where only 1 of them hit the stat sheet on a particular goal

gretzsky was an assist machine . i can see how he and kurri reached that total

but gretzsky scored more points without kurri than he did with him

that clearly is not the case with the sedins

3 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Impressive, I wonder if any came close to what Hull and Oates did over a 4 year span.

Possibly Gretzky and Kurri did.  Hull has three consecutive 70plus goal seasons in that span including his boffa 86 goal year...Also I wonder the authenticity of this stat considering the Howe Lindsay Abel  line the Clarke line and especially  the Electric Company line (although the Sedins have six years on the last one).

9 minutes ago, zzbottom said:

Secondary assists are the weakest stat in professional sports. 

All one hundred Baseball stats are weaker and I won't even mention Basketball.  The most overused stat in hockey is now SOG.  Plus minus might be the weakest.

7 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Considering Gretzky played in an era where the average goalie was as effective as a pylon, the Sedins' record is way more impressive. True legends.

Considering that Gretzky only played with Kurri for something like eleven seasons, I don't know if I would say the Sedins are more impressive.

The Sedins are great, but once people start calling them more impressive than Gretzky, it's time to take a step back and refocus.

6 hours ago, khay said:

Makes sense. That would require them to have 60 assists each -- can be done in 2 seasons. 

over their careers they have averages 65 pts/ season

they both get points about 75% of the time

This year they are on pace for 45 pts multiplied by .75 = 33 shared points

So if they maintain their current pace

the end of 2019 sounds about right

Provided their production does not continue to slip

realistically Christmas 2019, thats a long time from now

Great stat and all, but I don't think any coach or team would have kept two players together that have been so ineffective for stretches the last couple years.

I am clearly in the camp of giving both a look with some other players who may compliment their skill set.

At least as a change up...they have become far to predictable in everything they do.

Even in their prime, both players played some of their best hockey in the others absence.

Bring on the thumbs down...jmho

Archived