The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedins are Second to Wayne Gretzky and Jari Kurri(NHL Record)

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Post expansion the Sedins for sure.  Probably before that too.

Daniel has played 1215 games so far (the lesser of the Sedins).  I can't see them having played less than 1,000 games together on one line and probably not less than 1,100.

I actually doubt second place is even close.

3 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Daniel has played 1215 games so far (the lesser of the Sedins).  I can't see them having played less than 1,000 games together on one line and probably not less than 1,100.

I agree. Now everyone please stop comparing them to Wayne F'n Gretzky.

28 minutes ago, skeena1 said:

GRETZKY-KURRI               764

DANIEL - HENRIK               704

BOSSY-TROTTIER              622

HOWE-DELVECCHIO        560

DIONNE-TAYLOR               476

Is there no other Gretzky + Oiler or Gretzky + King that is >476?

9 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I don't know if the Sedins have it in them to score 61 more times with each other. Would probably take another 3 Seasons.

If it was the 80's where you could score on goalies from 30' out with a 50 mph slap shot, they'd both have 2,000 points by now too.

3 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

It should also be noted that the Sedins did in 1200 games what Gretzky / Kurri did in about 400 games together.

They played together about 5 years together in Edmonton and i can't remember L.A. but maybe 3 more together there? I think closer to 600 together.

22 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

They played together about 5 years together in Edmonton and i can't remember L.A. but maybe 3 more together there? I think closer to 600 together.

They were both on the Oilers from 1980-81 through 1987-88.  I don't know how much time they spent on one line in the early years though.

Still, some people are grievously minimizing the achievements of Gretzky and Kurri here.

10 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Considering Gretzky played in an era where the average goalie was as effective as a pylon, the Sedins' record is way more impressive. True legends.

^ this,

Each era is/was unique in their own way. Switch the players and the times and I would be more curious to see how long the Sedins could have lasted in that clutch/grab 80s era. What would Smyl have looked like with these 2? Or Williams?

5 minutes ago, Beeekz37 said:

^ this,

Each era is/was unique in their own way. Switch the players and the times and I would be more curious to see how long the Sedins could have lasted in that clutch/grab 80s era. What would Smyl have looked like with these 2? Or Williams?

We're talking about the best player who has ever lived, versus two players who weren't listed among the NHL's top 100 of all-time and that not generating much argument outside of Vancouver.

28 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

They were both on the Oilers from 1980-81 through 1987-88.  I don't know how much time they spent on one line in the early years though.

Still, some people are grievously minimizing the achievements of Gretzky and Kurri here.

I seen him one time talking about his early career and he had played a bit with Wayne but it was right after the 92 goal season when Sather put him full time with Gretzky. I think that was 82' season so that would be six full seasons ( i thought 5 before) until Gretzky got traded. L.A. i don't have a clue of anything there.

10 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Impressive, I wonder if any came close to what Hull and Oates did over a 4 year span.

Terrible, wait do you mean the band or the Blues combo?

The great one popped in 92 in one year, didn't matter who was on his line or not on his line. Good company to beat. Go Sedin's!

3 hours ago, darkpoet said:

If it was the 80's where you could score on goalies from 30' out with a 50 mph slap shot, they'd both have 2,000 points by now too.

And they were stand up goalies that didn't look like the Michelin Man with todays equipment. Nor did they have "cheaters" all over their equipment. Scoring was much easier back then for the talented players and Gretsky was beyond talented.

9 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Picking my head for guys like Harvey who played forever in MTL before his back from the dead to player coach in St. Louis at 44 but not sure of his defensive pairings...Lindsay was ousted to CHI from Howes line after his union failed and Hull left Mikita at the alter for the WHA.  So yeah your right it probably isn't even close in any era.

Archived