The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedins are Second to Wayne Gretzky and Jari Kurri(NHL Record)

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

33 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Cheapshots still happen today but guys like Bryan Marchment made a career out of throwing knee-on-knee hits back in the 'good old days'.

Bure had to put up with pukes like that.  Who knows how much longer his career could've lasted.

Karma though as I think Marchment retired as a result of a knee injury.  The Hockey Gods were smiling that day (not that I wish injury on anybody but 'you reap what you sow'...)

Never did like Marchment but i don't recall any injuries from that kind of play. I just remember a bunch of surgeries after the initial one in Vancouver. I think it was all clean hockey injury stuff nothing from dirty play.

10 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Lmao! Yes Megna would have been awesome for them! Only the Canucks can find an AHL'r to play top minutes.

Well, this is it.  It's been a revolving door of AHLers with the Sedins for much of the season.  Eriksson didn't pan out.  The guys that did have success with the twins, Hansen and Burrows, were injured and then got traded.  I find it hard to believe the Sedins have 'lost it' in just one season.  It has more to do with not having a consistent and SKILLED linemate to work with all season.  Get them one next season and watch them resurrect their production.

2 minutes ago, yes we can nucks said:

Well, this is it.  It's been a revolving door of AHLers with the Sedins for much of the season.  Eriksson didn't pan out.  The guys that did have success with the twins, Hansen and Burrows, were injured and then got traded.  I find it hard to believe the Sedins have 'lost it' in just one season.  It has more to do with not having a consistent and SKILLED linemate to work with all season.  Get them one next season and watch them resurrect their production.

Going to take a lot more than a skilled lineman to get them on top again. They are already playing at an age where a lot of stars would call it a career at this time. 

2 hours ago, yes we can nucks said:

My sentiments exactly.  What I find especially amazing is what they've accomplished without the benefit of a true first liner.  I can only imagine what they would've done with one.  Burrows has probably been their best winger ... but would he have been a first liner elsewhere?

Honestly they're best winger was Anson Carter he had the size and strength to hold his ground, plus had some hands to put the puck in the net. Too bad he asked for way too much money, because he and the Sedins could of done great things, but that was the type of player the Sedins always needed imo, Bertuzzi was the other guy I thought would of worked really well with them.

I also feel bad in a way for the Sedins because the Canucks never were able to get the Sedins a true #1 winger for them after Carter, always trying under dogs and hoping they would become the next fit. Burrows did his job with them and he actually improved a lot offensively playing with them, and learning their style of play and letting the Sedins do their thing. He still wasn't the best fit for the Sedins, but he worked his butt off and did the best job possible which turned out to be pretty darn good.

40 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Honestly they're best winger was Anson Carter he had the size and strength to hold his ground, plus had some hands to put the puck in the net. Too bad he asked for way too much money, because he and the Sedins could of done great things, but that was the type of player the Sedins always needed imo, Bertuzzi was the other guy I thought would of worked really well with them.

I also feel bad in a way for the Sedins because the Canucks never were able to get the Sedins a true #1 winger for them after Carter, always trying under dogs and hoping they would become the next fit. Burrows did his job with them and he actually improved a lot offensively playing with them, and learning their style of play and letting the Sedins do their thing. He still wasn't the best fit for the Sedins, but he worked his butt off and did the best job possible which turned out to be pretty darn good.

Was Carter a true #1 winger though?  He did nothing after he left the Canucks.  A true first liner would've been able to produce on another NHL team's first line, especially right after a 33 goal season.  Carter was a classic example of the Sedins turning a linemate into a scorer.

I agree totally about Burrows.  He deserves a lot of respect for what he accomplished with the twins, considering where he started from.  The Sedins made him into a scorer too, but his work ethic and determination eventually made him an offensive threat even without the twins.  I still think he was the best winger the twins have had.  

37 minutes ago, yes we can nucks said:

Was Carter a true #1 winger though?  He did nothing after he left the Canucks.  A true first liner would've been able to produce on another NHL team's first line, especially right after a 33 goal season.  Carter was a classic example of the Sedins turning a linemate into a scorer.

I agree totally about Burrows.  He deserves a lot of respect for what he accomplished with the twins, considering where he started from.  The Sedins made him into a scorer too, but his work ethic and determination eventually made him an offensive threat even without the twins.  I still think he was the best winger the twins have had.  

Yes for sure, it's funny it is so hard to find line mates for stars. It's amazing what a fit Burrows was with the Sedins. Carter was great too, it's too bad we didn't have him earlier in his career. It's weird how not just anyone can play with a star. Like with Crosby it has always been an issue on world cup teams or Olympics. Marchand looked real good with him this last year. 

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Nah, Burrows >>>>>>>>>>> Carter  (IMHO).

Burrows at his peak was an elite defensive winger.  Put up 30+ goals without just being a leech on the power play (which he got little of with the Twins during the peak).

1 hour ago, yes we can nucks said:

No he wasn't no Ovechkin or anything like that, but the Sedins didn't make him lol, he put up the same and better numbers years before in Edmonton, but no he wasn't a true #1, but had potential to be if he didn't get greedy and stayed with the Sedins. Carter though was the perfect type of player the Sedins needed, but the Canucks never found one as mentioned before. The Sedins did turn Burrows into a scorer, and after Burrows got success from the Sedins, he became more offensively gifted but he wasn't a threat as a sniper or anything like that, but definitely could chip in more then when he was younger.

So did some searching and have updated the stats since last year, after the Chicago game last year they combined 4 more times on goals to end the season and had them at 708, this year they have done it 7 times so far after the NJD game. My original prediction was 2 years this year and next if they will break the record, but now it's hard to say if they will ever break it if they don't come back next year... Or do they have enough in the tank this year to combine on another 50 goals...

21 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

So did some searching and have updated the stats since last year, after the Chicago game last year they combined 4 more times on goals to end the season and had them at 708, this year they have done it 7 times so far after the NJD game. My original prediction was 2 years this year and next if they will break the record, but now it's hard to say if they will ever break it if they don't come back next year... Or do they have enough in the tank this year to combine on another 50 goals...

My take at the start of the year was if we had another dismal year the Sedins would retire at the end of the season.  Now with reduced roles and a recent resurgence on the PP thanks in a large part to Boeser, I think the Sedins will come back for one more year, and in the end pass Gretzky and Kurri for this record ( which will stand for a long, long time IMO).  Lots of hockey left this year, three more quarters, and I don't see them regressing anymore than they already have.  45-55 pts each for both this year and the following....Daniel and Henrik into the HHOF eventually too...

40 minutes ago, IBatch said:

My take at the start of the year was if we had another dismal year the Sedins would retire at the end of the season.  Now with reduced roles and a recent resurgence on the PP thanks in a large part to Boeser, I think the Sedins will come back for one more year, and in the end pass Gretzky and Kurri for this record ( which will stand for a long, long time IMO).  Lots of hockey left this year, three more quarters, and I don't see them regressing anymore than they already have.  45-55 pts each for both this year and the following....Daniel and Henrik into the HHOF eventually too...

I also wouldn't mind seeing the Sedins for another year at a low contract like 2-3M each, it all depends on how the rest of the year goes, but they also won't push the team to sign them so it will come down to management. The only thing with this stat it's ridiculously hard to find a stat page for it, so seeing if there is any new duel players coming up no idea, the only two that come to mind is Ovie and Backstrom, but no idea where they are. Still would be cool to see the Sedins take the top spot for this record!

Really not impressed by the Gretz Kurri record... different era... tiny goalie pads... easier to score goals...

Give the Sedins the same goalies with those tiny pads and I think the Sedins are probably close to 1500-1750 goals combined for with ease. 

Kurri and Wayne played what, 12 or 13 years together? I think the Sedins have certainly played more games together over 16 years now... which makes my estimate reasonable. 

Perhaps if Wayne wasn't a selfish jerk, and took Pat Quinn's offer to play in Vancouver instead of Messier, his career would have last 5 years longer upon breathing in the Sedinery

(ok this last line was me going turbo homer, but I %100 stand my the first 3 lines)

Henrik Sedin had 112 points in 2009-2010 ... how many would Wayne have got in the new NHL? Max 40? 

Henrik > Wayne 

41 minutes ago, apollo said:

Really not impressed by the Gretz Kurri record... different era... tiny goalie pads... easier to score goals...

Give the Sedins the same goalies with those tiny pads and I think the Sedins are probably close to 1500-1750 goals combined for with ease. 

Kurri and Wayne played what, 12 or 13 years together? I think the Sedins have certainly played more games together over 16 years now... which makes my estimate reasonable. 

Perhaps if Wayne wasn't a selfish jerk, and took Pat Quinn's offer to play in Vancouver instead of Messier, his career would have last 5 years longer upon breathing in the Sedinery

(ok this last line was me going turbo homer, but I %100 stand my the first 3 lines)

Henrik Sedin had 112 points in 2009-2010 ... how many would Wayne have got in the new NHL? Max 40? 

Henrik > Wayne 

This post is flawed in so many ways.

Biggest one being ur stating that they played in different era yet u still attempt to compare them using stats.

lol

They played in different era with different advancements in hockey in terms of skills, competition and popularity.

It is flawed to compare them in terms of stats. 

For instance, without Gretzky and his work of developing hockey in skills and popularity, there may not have been Sedins as good as they were or any other superstars like Crosby in that sense.

Comparing old times athletes to today's is just non-sense. So Stop :)

But yes, Sedins have had quite a ride in Vancouver. I m proud to have them with us for 16 yrs. 

21 minutes ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

This post is flawed in so many ways.

Biggest one being ur stating that they played in different era yet u still attempt to compare them using stats.

lol

They played in different era with different advancements in hockey in terms of skills, competition and popularity.

It is flawed to compare them in terms of stats. 

For instance, without Gretzky and his work of developing hockey in skills and popularity, there may not have been Sedins as good as they were or any other superstars like Crosby in that sense.

Comparing old times athletes to today's is just non-sense. So Stop :)

But yes, Sedins have had quite a ride in Vancouver. I m proud to have them with us for 16 yrs. 

Ummm what?! Do you think Wayne influenced the Sedins? He probably influenced Crosby... but how on earth did he influence the twins? They've gone on record and said they never watched much of the North American game growing up. 

Wayne had 0 influence on the Sedins. Don't be foolish. 

The Sedins are a product of their hard work, determination and role models like Forsberg, Naslund, Ohlund, Sundin, Linden, etc... 

Gretzky? Lolz. Put them in the same era and the gap between the Sedins and Wayne is not much at all. 

Wayne is the most overrated athlete in the history of sports IMO. He was ahead of his generation in terms of conditioning and training... no one will ever match his records because the game has simply changed too much. I'd pay top dollar to see peaking Wayne, Sid, McDavid, Ovie, Malkin, Hank/Danny, Lindros, etc play together. If they all played in this league, in their peak, they'd hover 100ish points. No outrageous 150+ point seasons. It'll never happen again.

6 minutes ago, apollo said:

Ummm what?! Do you think Wayne influenced the Sedins? He probably influenced Crosby... but how on earth did he influence the twins? They've gone on record and said they never watched much of the North American game growing up. 

The Sedins are a product of their hard work, determination and role models like Forsberg, Naslund, Ohlund, Sundin, Linden, etc... 

Gretzky? Lolz. Put them in the same era and the gap between the Sedins and Wayne is not much at all. 

Wayne is the most overrated athlete in the history of sports IMO. He was ahead of his generation in terms of conditioning and training... no one will ever match his records because the game has simply changed too much. I'd pay top dollar to see peaking Wayne, Sid, McDavid, Ovie, Malkin, Hank/Danny, Lindros, etc play together. If they all played in this league, in their peak, they'd hover 100ish points. No outrageous 150+ point seasons. It'll never happen again.

It's nearly impossible to accurately compare players from era to era. I feel that modern players are just straight up better. Maurice Richard would be average in today's game. Rather, I prefer to compare players relative to their competition at the time, making players like Richard and Howe among the best to play the game, even though a player like Naslund was probably a better hockey player than Richard. The game has changed too much to compare them so directly, IMO.

3 minutes ago, apollo said:

Well that's ur opinion.

Without Wayne, I don't think hockey would have come so far as a sport in the world.

Altho Sedins have never watched North American hockey, they played the sport that Wayne revolutionized. 

Do u think their coaches or league players never watched North American hockey in Sweden?

Why do u think the game has changed so much now than in 1980s? and why the bigger and faster players come to play hockey nowadays than Football, baseball or other sports?

Ur ignoring all that connection is a very shallow personal view. But I don't blame u for having ur own opinion tho.

It is just flawed. And yes that is my opinion :)

22 minutes ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

Well that's ur opinion.

Without Wayne, I don't think hockey would have come so far as a sport in the world.

Altho Sedins have never watched North American hockey, they played the sport that Wayne revolutionized. 

Do u think their coaches or league players never watched North American hockey in Sweden?

Why do u think the game has changed so much now than in 1980s? and why the bigger and faster players come to play hockey nowadays than Football, baseball or other sports?

Ur ignoring all that connection is a very shallow personal view. But I don't blame u for having ur own opinion tho.

It is just flawed. And yes that is my opinion :)

The Sedins invented the slap pass.

PIONEERS! GOATS! 

Archived