Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedins are Second to Wayne Gretzky and Jari Kurri(NHL Record)


ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

They'd have to do it 50 more times. Would probably take more than 1 more season.

25 each over the remainder of this season and all of the next.... its possible. Long shot but possible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

Sorry to disappoint again but they did NOT invent the slap pass.

Lol... come on... you can't be a Canucks fan? Or if you are, you're probably a little younger. Didn't you see the Sedins from 24-33 years old? Or any hockey for that matter during that period of time. 
 
They pioneered the move and since there's been an abundance of copy cat acts. No one perfected like the Twins. 
 
Here look at Wikipedia. You're welcome my friend... today you learned something new :P
 
Slap pass 
a hard shot aimed at a teammate's stick. It is a shot that is intentionally aimed away from the net to an open teammate's stick. Pioneered by the Sedin Brothers.
 
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pass_(ice_hockey)
 
 
 
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shift-4 said:

Next?

yah. If e.g., they wanted one more year and signed for some low number like 1 mil each sure why not? as long as we didn't sign any other veterans it would be fine. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

What's really amazing here is how little time Gretzky and Kurri actually spent together.

 

The Sedins are great, but they'll be "Andreychuk-ing" their way to this record.

I wonder how many points the Sedins would have if they played in Gretzky and Kurri's era. It's hard to argue goalies at any time in history have been nearly as good as goalies are now. On top of the league having nothing in the way of goons now, so everyone can legitimately play hockey at a really high level. I am not saying the Sedins are on their level, but they are definitely legends in their own right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I wonder how many points the Sedins would have if they played in Gretzky and Kurri's era. It's hard to argue goalies at any time in history have been nearly as good as goalies are now. On top of the league having nothing in the way of goons now, so everyone can legitimately play hockey at a really high level. I am not saying the Sedins are on their level, but they are definitely legends in their own right.

Well, the Sedins would surely have racked up more points in the 80s.  But when these questions get asked, you also have to assume they'd have lowered themselves to the fitness standards of that era and so on.  And the Sedins had a short peak.  Daniel has had only two seasons where he was in the top ten in NHL scoring.

 

If I had to take a guess at where they fit in talentwise...  I guess I might put them somewhere slightly below Denis Savard and slightly above Pierre Turgeon.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since everyone is talking about it I'll chip in on the argument!

 

It's really tough to compare the different eras for the Sedins, lots of factors imo. One side of me believes they would of racked up a lot of points because of how much more open ice there was back then, they would be cycling circles around a lot of those old type of pylons back then. Plus being brothers they already have that 6th sense and chemistry, not like some of the other players who have to create chemistry with a new player, but Sedins are on another level when it comes to this and that's the brother sense, and to which I believe they would of racked up a lot of points.

 

But the other side of me questions, maybe they wouldn't be able to handle the hooking, slashing, cheap shots, blind side hits, a lot more rougher back then. Maybe it would of pushed them away from the NHL, it did take them a few years when they came here originally to gets used to it, it was much worse back in the 80's. The 2 line pass rule back then would of probably affected their style of play a bit, they used to like that ice it and beat it before they brought in this new icing rule, but they wouldn't of been able to do that back in the day.

 

I think it's really to hard to say it could of gone either way, but personally I would of loved to see it though, you never know...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:30 AM, Fanuck said:

Can they.....will they....break the record?

 

Amazing imo that they're even within striking distance of this stat given the differences in scoring during the respective eras of play.

if they do maybe they'll finally get the respect around the league they deserve

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gretzky and Kurri only played 8 years together. That’s an average of almost 100 goals together per year. The Sedins are playin their 17th year together, so thats less than 45 goals per year. 

 

What the Sedins have done is unbelievable, which just shows how dominant Gretzky and Kurri were for that 8 year period. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, apollo said:
Lol... come on... you can't be a Canucks fan? Or if you are, you're probably a little younger. Didn't you see the Sedins from 24-33 years old? Or any hockey for that matter during that period of time. 
 
They pioneered the move and since there's been an abundance of copy cat acts. No one perfected like the Twins. 
 
Here look at Wikipedia. You're welcome my friend... today you learned something new :P
 
Slap pass 
a hard shot aimed at a teammate's stick. It is a shot that is intentionally aimed away from the net to an open teammate's stick. Pioneered by the Sedin Brothers.
 
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pass_(ice_hockey)
 
 
 

haha. I have been watching the canucks since the 80s. So I think I know a few things about the game. 

Not sure how long u have been playing hockey for but u sound like someone who never really played it competitively. (How could someone not see a slap pass until the 2000's? That really surprises me)

And please stop with blind accusations. :) I m not "Foolish" nor a "younger" fan. 

 

Sharing ur opinion with other fans is good. But when the comments are false and offensive to other fans, u need to stop and reflect.

And having a lot of fans is great for the organization. But fans like u who throw blind remarks add no value to it. 

Praise is due where it is due but stop adding false praises. 

 

Sedins are great as they are. There is zero doubt that they are future HoFers. 

Fans like u don't help them. U pretty much taint their true great accomplishments.

 

So hopefully, u ll be more thoughtful with ur comments in the future. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

haha. I have been watching the canucks since the 80s. So I think I know a few things about the game. 

Not sure how long u have been playing hockey for but u sound like someone who never really played it competitively. (How could someone not see a slap pass until the 2000's? That really surprises me)

And please stop with blind accusations. :) I m not "Foolish" nor a "younger" fan. 

 

Sharing ur opinion with other fans is good. But when the comments are false and offensive to other fans, u need to stop and reflect.

And having a lot of fans is great for the organization. But fans like u who throw blind remarks add no value to it. 

Praise is due where it is due but stop adding false praises. 

 

Sedins are great as they are. There is zero doubt that they are future HoFers. 

Fans like u don't help them. U pretty much taint their true great accomplishments.

 

So hopefully, u ll be more thoughtful with ur comments in the future. 

Lol they pioneered the move. They brought it back like Justin Timberlake brought back frosted tips. 

 

No one cares who invented the first electric car either... they only care about who pioneered it and that's the company Tesla and Elon Musk. It's the same thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

21 hours ago, apollo said:

The Sedins invented the slap pass.

 

PIONEERS! GOATS! 

 

39 minutes ago, apollo said:

Lol they pioneered the move. They brought it back like Justin Timberlake brought back frosted tips. 

 

No one cares who invented the first electric car either... they only care about who pioneered it and that's the company Tesla and Elon Musk. It's the same thing.

So now they "brought back" and not "invented".  

Please take time to read ur posts in this thread. And I hope u realize how foolish u were.

Here is just a quick summary points so u won't get confused.

 

1. U just do NOT compare Gretzky or any other old time hockey players against today's NHLers. (reasons included in my previous post)

2. Ur claiming that Sedins developed their game on their own is false. (when they came over to NHL which is already revolutionized by many old time NHLers, ur claim has already been proven wrong. Not to mention possible influence from their coaches/ teammates along the way who had acquired knowledge of modern, revolutionized game of hockey)

 

There are other points relating to ur character and personality but I won't go that far. 

 

If ur points are legit, strong and proven, there is really no necessity to try to squash opposing opinions.

But u know.... ur points are nothing close to being legit, strong nor proven.

 

All these aside, I do agree Sedins made slap-passes look easy and efficient thruout their careers. 

Great players don't need false praises to glorify them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, apollo said:
Lol... come on... you can't be a Canucks fan? Or if you are, you're probably a little younger. Didn't you see the Sedins from 24-33 years old? Or any hockey for that matter during that period of time. 
 
They pioneered the move and since there's been an abundance of copy cat acts. No one perfected like the Twins. 
 
Here look at Wikipedia. You're welcome my friend... today you learned something new :P
 
Slap pass 
a hard shot aimed at a teammate's stick. It is a shot that is intentionally aimed away from the net to an open teammate's stick. Pioneered by the Sedin Brothers.
 
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pass_(ice_hockey)
 
 
 

Just re-read this clowny post. 

Gave me a good laugh again. :)

 

Listen. In a public thread like this, Respect for others comes before anything even if ur the hockey guru.

But obviously, u don't even come close. So be mindful in future posts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

 

 

So now they "brought back" and not "invented".  

Please take time to read ur posts in this thread. And I hope u realize how foolish u were.

Here is just a quick summary points so u won't get confused.

 

1. U just do NOT compare Gretzky or any other old time hockey players against today's NHLers. (reasons included in my previous post)

2. Ur claiming that Sedins developed their game on their own is false. (when they came over to NHL which is already revolutionized by many old time NHLers, ur claim has already been proven wrong. Not to mention possible influence from their coaches/ teammates along the way who had acquired knowledge of modern, revolutionized game of hockey)

 

There are other points relating to ur character and personality but I won't go that far. 

 

If ur points are legit, strong and proven, there is really no necessity to try to squash opposing opinions.

But u know.... ur points are nothing close to being legit, strong nor proven.

 

All these aside, I do agree Sedins made slap-passes look easy and efficient thruout their careers. 

Great players don't need false praises to glorify them. 

You're really nit picking man... it's just the internet. 

 

The Sedins really did pioneer the slap pass... all homerism aside. They are to the slap pass as to Mark Zuckerberg is to social media. 

 

They're 10x better humans than Wayne was. Selflessly have dedicated everything to one franchise... unlike Canada's #1 Sell out Wayne Gretzky! 

 

I'm also a homer if you weren't aware. Doesn't make the Sedins any less great though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, apollo said:

You're really nit picking man... it's just the internet. 

 

The Sedins really did pioneer the slap pass... all homerism aside. They are to the slap pass as to Mark Zuckerberg is to social media. 

 

They're 10x better humans than Wayne was. Selflessly have dedicated everything to one franchise... unlike Canada's #1 Sell out Wayne Gretzky! 

 

I'm also a homer if you weren't aware. Doesn't make the Sedins any less great though. 

When u call people foolish and try to ridicule them by quoting wikipedia, I expect ur posts to be a lot more reliable than that. 

 

And yes, it is good to hear ur opinion on that matter.

 

Being a Nux fan for decades, Sedins are much higher on my list than Gretzky.

But I just didn't like false information being posted to advocate Sedins when there really is no need.

Sedins are great as they are. No need to put false praises on them.

If u r unsure what I mean by false praises, read ur first 2 posts in this thread. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...