Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How many think Brock Boeser looks NHL ready?


*Buzzsaw*

Keep Brock Boeser up for the rest of the Season?  

366 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

That's one angry pony...

the misunderstanding here, is i said "potential" XD i didn't say that he's GOING to, but surround him with with the right group of guys, under right coaching, and who knows what could happen xD am i being a homer, maybe, i don't care to be honest, but if you're going to play devil's advocate, back it up, at least

 

all of that, when i was mostly talking about how boeser could benefit from training with bo, when i agreed with... whoever i agreed with, but i said my piece, and im leaving it at that :3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, billabong said:

 I don't think he's eligible to play in Utica at this point. I could be wrong.

 

its an incredibly small sample size, but he's physically ready.

 

Doesn't get pushed around like goldobin, but he's still recovering and adjusting

 

boeser looks a little stiff out there but he haven't seen his best hockey yet. 

 

He looks a lot like oshie. 

Just what I was thinking...The Bash Brothers! There are few NHL power forwards who have the ability to create their OWN chances off of the end boards collisions they cause on the forecheck (usually it's someone else who scoops up the loose puck)...Oshie is one who can...and it looks like Brock will be another.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, nickels said:

read somewhere the signing(and playing NHL gm?) made him ineligible for Utica ?

 

Think was Botchfords article.

Highly doubt a rookie can sign a 1-way contract.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First game what really excited me was how evident, and high, his hockey iq seems to be.  

 

His play making and finish will definitely help our top 6.

 

There will be a learning curve like anything like.  His defensive play looks like it just needs some fine tuning. Playing with Bo, and a good off season/ camp, should make for an exciting fall. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, smokes said:

meh too early to tell, Virtanen looked ready aftyer his first couple of games

 

 

Not the the same way Brock does, Brock honestly looks like he has the potential to be something special and he didn't look out of place a single shift.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, smokes said:

meh too early to tell, Virtanen looked ready aftyer his first couple of games

I don't think you are going to have the same maturity issues Virtanen had. Boeser is also mature physically as he is already over 200lbs playing in a men's league. Also he is not out of shape like virt was who was over 225lbs at the same height, especially at the beginning of the season. 

 

Boeser's hockey iq and instincts will put him in areas to succeed. I don't see him having a tough time translating his game to the nhl.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Of course he's NHL ready. As I've been saying. If Troy Stecher was good enough to pretty much immediately make the jump his rookie season, expect Brock too as well, because Brock was a better overall player as a freshman  than Stecher was at senior on the same team. Boeser is also playing wing, a position that is traditionall easier to translate your game too, as well as is much bigger. Basically overall he's just always been the better player. If Stecher can make the team, I'm betting Boeser can make the team.

 

And this is no knock on Stecher. Boeser is just actually a steal of a talent. Good work on getting them both Benning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He's in Van for the season, he is not eligible for the Comets this season.

 

He's got an NHL shot and great instincts, but I think his skating and defensive game need some work.  Unless he kills it in camp/pre-season in sept, Is like to see Green spend a little time with him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

He's in Van for the season, he is not eligible for the Comets this season.

 

He's got an NHL shot and great instincts, but I think his skating and defensive game need some work.  Unless he kills it in camp/pre-season in sept, Is like to see Green spend a little time with him.

How long does one goal ride on CDC? Almost every player on the Canuck roster came under the gun from CDC fans. Give Boeser some leeway on a pretty stressful weekend. I feel sorry for the kid coming back to Vancouver and the attending media circus. His game has some tentativeness but that is natural for any rookie. I would have no problem in his spending time in Utica next year. It would temper fan and media expectations.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Baggins said:

Do you know if he's been working with a skating coach??? Most don't. They workout with trainers and they skate drills.

 

 

"Speed and confidence have transformed Horvat and raised his ceiling as a player. Southwestern, Ont.-based skating coaches Kathy McIlwain and Dwayne Blais have helped boost Horvat’s explosiveness and quickness over short distances."

 

“At this level, if you don’t push yourself to be a faster skater, a better skater, you’re going to be left behind,” Horvat said. “I really notice it this year. I really wanted to work on it.”

 

"The (speed) difference between the first time I saw him in Penticton and now is unbelievable," his head coach Willie Desjardins said. "I wouldn't have believed that was possible. I've talked to other players, who are good players, but maybe not quick, and said, 'You should talk to Horvat and see what he did."'

I did see the feature on Horvat and his skating.

 

I know that most of them (Parise, Okposo, Bjugstad, Wheeler, etc) work with Diane Ness - she has her own power skating company and also advises the Wild.  There was an article up in the Star Tribune about how she's helped so many NHLer on their skating in the off-season.  Parise was explaining that she is always keeping up to date on new techniques.  I wouldn't know for sure if Boeser works with her too but I would think that the Canucks can arrange that.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

He could have made him self eligible by signing an ATO with Utica first as Ottawa first rounder Colin White did today but he chose not to. 

 

So no, he can't play in Utica until next season.

IMO this is better for him taste the nhl and then take the summer to improve what needs to be worked upon such as skating and getting that wrist back to 100%

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Baggins said:

Do you know if he's been working with a skating coach??? Most don't. They workout with trainers and they skate drills.

 

 

"Speed and confidence have transformed Horvat and raised his ceiling as a player. Southwestern, Ont.-based skating coaches Kathy McIlwain and Dwayne Blais have helped boost Horvat’s explosiveness and quickness over short distances."

 

“At this level, if you don’t push yourself to be a faster skater, a better skater, you’re going to be left behind,” Horvat said. “I really notice it this year. I really wanted to work on it.”

 

"The (speed) difference between the first time I saw him in Penticton and now is unbelievable," his head coach Willie Desjardins said. "I wouldn't have believed that was possible. I've talked to other players, who are good players, but maybe not quick, and said, 'You should talk to Horvat and see what he did."'

Some players are blessed with speed because their bodies were born with the physical tools necessary that makes skating for them effortless (i.e. someone like Paul Coffey).  Others weren't so blessed and have had to work on strength and changes in their stride to improve.  For guys like them, they need to continually work on their skating to keep it up.  It would be great if they could hire coaches like these full time to work on everyone's skating.  I mean they spend millions signing free agents that may or may not help them why can't they spend far less to improve the skating abilities of the whole team?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, it's only been two games so it's pretty hard to have a definite answer, but...

He's an offensive-minded player, and we straight up do not have enough of them to not play Brock with our best players on our big league team. He's made Bo Horvat look even better; Bo now has somebody who can follow his lead and get open.


All this talk about him not being a "dynamic skater" is also bull. He is not an explosive skater, nor does he have 'dynamic' speed, but he can stop and turn on a dime and makes quick cuts into open areas. This offseason I would imagine skating would be his number one focus, a part from rehabbing the wrist.

 

I saw a super brief glimpse of Brock on the powerplay where he slipped into an open spot for the onetimer, but the pass just didn't quite get through.

I literally yelled at my TV: "GET OPEN BROCK" because nothing in the game is more exciting than a perfectly delivered one-timer... and Brock is going to be sending those home for a decade-plus here in Vancouver.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Some players are blessed with speed because their bodies were born with the physical tools necessary that makes skating for them effortless (i.e. someone like Paul Coffey).  Others weren't so blessed and have had to work on strength and changes in their stride to improve.  For guys like them, they need to continually work on their skating to keep it up.  It would be great if they could hire coaches like these full time to work on everyone's skating.  I mean they spend millions signing free agents that may or may not help them why can't they spend far less to improve the skating abilities of the whole team?

Barb Aidelbaum is a consultant for the Canucks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

How long does one goal ride on CDC? Almost every player on the Canuck roster came under the gun from CDC fans. Give Boeser some leeway on a pretty stressful weekend. I feel sorry for the kid coming back to Vancouver and the attending media circus. His game has some tentativeness but that is natural for any rookie. I would have no problem in his spending time in Utica next year. It would temper fan and media expectations.  

That's where I would start him, even if he has a better than good camp.  If he comes in and absolutely lights it up in pre-season, that's different, but I'd rather see him excel in the AHL than be average at the NHL level........to start anyway.  

 

I never get why so many see the AHL as a negative thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He looks ready, but I hope the fans and the media keep realistic expectations.  I hope there is no panic or pressure put on the kid if he goes through a dry spell or doesnt put up a bunch of goals in his first year.  He looks so calm on the ice, its hard to forget hes one of the youngest players on the ice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...