The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How many think Brock Boeser looks NHL ready?

*Buzzsaw*

Keep Brock Boeser up for the rest of the Season?  

366 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, Davathor said:

Playoff experience in the A playing meaningful games is a better idea I think. Build his confidence and maybe even get a championship as a top 6 maybe even a top liner

Not an option to play in the playoff this season.  He wasn't on the AHL roster at the TDL and has a NHL contract.  Was only possible if he signed an ATO like Aston-Reese, Kunin and have his contract start next season.

6 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

brock would be crazy to turn something like that down. bo should be doing that with all of the younger guys, because whatever he did is working-- going from 4th line to a bona fide all star. we can poke fun at the sedins for their decline, this that and the other, but that veteran leadership, you know bo's just eating all of it up. he's not even 22 yet and is like the #1 guy on this team, and thats where he wants to be, and thats where the rest of the younger guys, i hope, want to be

if brock, or any younger guy, who strives to be better, theres no guy better to follow than bo. the guy leads by example and makes guys around him better, and this team hasn't had a guy like that since henrik sedin in his prime. that's some company to be with, and it took henrik five seasons to reach 50+ points, while it only took bo three. i get it, different era, pre lock-out and all, but to kinda put things into perspective, we have a guy who can be a 100 point guy. i dont see brock being that kind of player, but he can certainly be a consistent scoring threat, at least from what i've seen. i haven't followed his entire career or anything

I told you no more Twinkle Sparkles `till after dinner! Seriously 100 points? Bo is great but c`mon bro, easy on the sparkles. P.S. You got any left?

3 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

bo horvat could be any player he wants to be. i get that you (i don't even know who you are) want to be one of the many "realists" here, like get in line of people claiming that gimmick, but 50 points and climbing, in a write off season, as a 21 year old, is not beyond the realms of possibility

3 hours ago, theilluminati said:

Being a realist is a gimmick? Then what are you exactly? The blind, kool-aid drinking homer who never see's the reality of a team or league?

Don't listen to him Twilight Sparkler! Hilary Clinton and the illuminati have been in cahoots with Gary Buttman for years in the attempt to hold the Canucks back from ever winning the cup. How else can you explain 2011?

Bo Scorevat is the hero we deserve, Brock "da boss" Boeser is the hero we need!

I like that he goes to the net and plants himself there - No fly-by's. Guys coming out of good college programs are usually more ready for the systems/positional side of the game than guys coming right out of junior. He's also 20 and a bit more filled out than an 18 year old would be. His former teammates Stech, Cagg and Schmaltz have all had decent starts to their careers with lots of upside, and he was considered the best of the group.

I'd really like to see us go after a 2nd line centre and move Sutter with the Sedins to provide solid 3rd line minutes. It gives them good options on faceoffs. I know RNH's name is out there, but I can't see us winning that bidding war against someone outside of the division. Granlund can play centre, so for now:

Boeser-Horvat-Baertchi

Goldobin-Granlund-Eriksson

Sedin-Sedin-Sutter

Virtanen-About 12 possibilities-Dorsett

well, at least the coaching staff was comfortable in giving him lots of ice time already, which he rarely does for other projects like Goldy and Boucher.  Same can be said of Hutton, Tram, Stech, who impressed early and got mins as the season progressed. The management burned a year of contract to get him playing now.  You can be cynical and said it is for marketing, but I think they all think he is a gem and ready to play.  They also need to see what they have for next year, so they can make the right moves during summer about who to keep, who to sign/trade. 

And by the looks of it so far, he is a smart player with skill, and reads the play.  He will have a taste of it this season, and know what he will need to work on in the summer to survive the season.  So I think it was a good move to get him in now. As fan, he already made this season end a lot more fun to watch.  That's important too, it's professional sports after all.  For those that argue how it may affect the cap down the road, I say the owners do not have an obligation to spend to the cap. If they lose money, they are less likely to spend to the cap. 

One thing that struck me about Boeser over the weekend was his physical appearance. Compared to some of the acne-ridden, pre-pubescent looking kids playing in the league today, Boeser has the facial features and jawline of a 1980s surfer villain. It's kind of refreshing. 

I remember reading a player comparison of Boeser to Kyle Okposo. Seems about right. 

44 minutes ago, nuck7635 said:

Once he gets moving he's fine but he needs to work on getting quicker off those first few steps. So far so good though.

Considering his schedule and all the surrounding drama of Thale past three days, I am impressed he can move at all. 

Kid shows positional awareness and moves to the open areas like a pro.  His defensive awareness is already better than most of ourr rookies.  He will improve but I can't see him getting much out of the A and feel he will do better staying with the big for next year.  

He is 20 and has been playing against adults...Far different than junior players.

14 hours ago, xereau said:

He looks ready to me.  His positional play is outstanding -- hashmarks to hashmarks.  Backchecks.  Takeaways.  GOES TO THE NET.  100% keeper.

I noticed his positional play as well; he looks like he has a high IQ ... knows how to play on the right side of the puck. On the slightly concerning side his skating is NHL-average at best. Room for improvement there.

13 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

I noticed his positional play as well; he looks like he has a high IQ ... knows how to play on the right side of the puck. On the slightly concerning side his skating is NHL-average at best. Room for improvement there.

He shines when instincts are on parade. What happens when playing within a team framework is demanded.

Boeser has looked good so far, i really like how he is always looking for open ice to take a pass .  It seems Bo and Brock have some good early chemistry which is very exciting!  

He is ready and needs to stay with the big club.

Willie D better play him more on the PP.

In the future somebody is going to create a great handle for Boesser Bo and Bear...The Killer Bs or Triple B or something ...  Nice to see that so far he's everything as advertised.  See him as a regular 30-30 guy possibly peaking similar to R.Nash.   nothing wrong with that.  As for the OP yes yes yes he belongs and should be allowed to make mistakes and become a better player for it.  He's incubated long enough even though it won't be enough to make a huge difference he should be there when it does.

17 hours ago, Type R said:

Brock has been very good his first 2 games, he seemed a touch slower tonight, but thats expected given this was his 3rd game in as many nights.  He has a shoot first mentality, that said he's made some great passes as well.  Another 15 pounds on that frame would go a long way as well.  If this was the second line of the next 2-3 years I would be impressed, because of all the players on our team, these 3 (Bear, Bo & Boeser) don't look like they have to force it.  I am encouraged by this, and this will be the highlight of the ending season thats upon this club.

He's already listed at between 192 and 200, so at 6'1 another 10 would probably be max.  In fact, he hasn't looked to be lacking strength yet, and will only get stronger.  Also, despite all the parroting about his skating, he's certainly faster than Bo was when he broke in, and already looks faster than Granlund.  Was surprised actually, as in the college games I saw he tended to float around a bit but in his first two games here he was really moving his feet and staying mobile.  Things like his first few steps are something everyone works on and if he is at all able to increase his top speed he'll be one of the best skaters on the team.  As already noted, he clearly has hockey sense and understanding of the game, both on the offensive and defensive end.  Very solid start.

He may be ready but do not have high expectations for him.  Don't forget that he is only 20 so don't be expecting any high numbers off the bat.  Let's not forget about Cam Neely and the fact that the team lost patience with him when he was 21 after 3 seasons of "subpar" performances .  Sedins blossomed around the 2005-2006  season so we should see Boeser become a superstar once he is around 23 or 24 barring any significant injuries

18 hours ago, Odd. said:

Would be nice if he works on his skating over the summer, would do a lot for him.

I say he's NHL ready. 3.5 games in 3 nights. Jeez.

I'm not sure why people are knocking his skating.

He doesn't "look" fast, much in the same way Paul Coffee didn't. Not that I'm comparing them, just that their speed is kind of stealthy that way. 
I don't see a problem with his skating. He seems to be in the right spot most of the time, which is far more important. 

One thing I noticed though, is that he skates backwards through the neutral zone a lot when his D are breaking the puck out. Kind of reminded me of Russ Courtnall, who used to do that a lot. I just hope he doesn't get his bell rung from behind while taking a pass. 

Archived