The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Griffen Molino | C/LW

stonecoldstevebernier

The Canucks' signing from today, a 23 year old forward out of Western Michigan University who Benning bills as "a competitive two-way forward with good speed and defensive instincts on the penalty kill". No word yet on whether he'll join Utica for the balance of the season or not, or if his ELC starts this year or next year.

Update: it appears his contract will start this season, and that he'll play some games with the Canucks to end the year (per Ryan Biech on twitter). Which is reasonable given that Utica has a collection of extra forwards that aren't playing already, and it also acts as a buffer to prevent using call-ups and hurting Utica's playoff chances.

Griffen Molino
Forward
Born Jan 21 1994  -- Trenton, MI 
Height 5.11 -- Weight 171 -- Shoots L

--- Regular Season ---  ---- Playoffs ----
Season   Team                        Lge    GP    G    A  Pts  PIM  GP   G   A Pts PIM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012-13  Brockville Braves           CCHL   61   14   20   34   38
2013-14  Sioux Falls Stampede        USHL   59    8   31   39   31   2   0   0   0   2
2014-15  Muskegon Lumberjacks        USHL   57   18   46   64   39  12   3   6   9  10
2015-16  Western Michigan Universi   NCHC   36   11   14   25   12
2016-17  Western Michigan Universi   NCHC   40   15   18   33   29
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like a wasted contract spot to me. You can rag on me for being negative but I really hope Benning and Molino prove me wrong. Not even top 100 in NCAA scoring though? I hope this kid has a real high compete level cause he's gonna need it 

He looks like a solid addition to our prospect pool and he will have the opportunity to develop and improve on his game. His contract begins this year also. He's not eligible for Utica this season or if they manage to make it into the playoffs according to Biech. Welcome, Griffen. 

Interesting wrinkle that the contract is for this year. I didnt expect that. Wonder how he will show at the NHL level. Apparently speed and defensive game are strong points which makes me think Willie will like him on that 4th line no problem.

2 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Interesting wrinkle that the contract is for this year. I didnt expect that. Wonder how he will show at the NHL level. Apparently speed and defensive game are strong points which makes me think Willie will like him on that 4th line no problem.

Next years Jason Megna?

Just now, Derp... said:

It's a good way to essentially give him a 1 year contract to prove his worth. We would be required to keep him for 2 years if his ELC didn't kick in till next season. Pretty smart decision IMHO....

1 hour ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

The Canucks' signing from today, a 23 year old forward out of Western Michigan University who Benning bills as "a competitive two-way forward with good speed and defensive instincts on the penalty kill". No word yet on whether he'll join Utica for the balance of the season or not, or if his ELC starts this year or next year.

Griffen Molino
Forward
Born Jan 21 1994  -- Trenton, MI 
Height 5.11 -- Weight 171 -- Shoots L

--- Regular Season ---  ---- Playoffs ----
Season   Team                        Lge    GP    G    A  Pts  PIM  GP   G   A Pts PIM
2012-13  Brockville Braves           CCHL   61   14   20   34   38
2013-14  Sioux Falls Stampede        USHL   59    8   31   39   31   2   0   0   0   2
2014-15  Muskegon Lumberjacks        USHL   57   18   46   64   39  12   3   6   9  10
2015-16  Western Michigan Universi   NCHC   36   11   14   25   12
2016-17  Western Michigan Universi   NCHC   40   15   18   33   29

We could sure use the "defensive instincts on the penalty kill"........

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

Good depth for Utica next year. Guess we'll see if he can turn into any AHL/NHL skill. Being 23 already leaves my hopes a little low. Oh well, FREE PROSPECT!

that I do not know he is a bit older so I think he starts in the NHL

20 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

It's a good way to essentially give him a 1 year contract to prove his worth. We would be required to keep him for 2 years if his ELC didn't kick in till next season. Pretty smart decision IMHO....

It's not my money. If they want to pay him for two years in about a year and a month, go nuts!

19 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Bingo.

It's basically a 1 year show-me contract. The upside for Griffin is he gets paid an entire years salary over a few games here to end the season. 

HorSE liKE chOMp oN biG CARRotT

2 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Bingo.

It's basically a 1 year show-me contract. The upside for Griffin is he gets paid an entire years salary over a few games here to end the season. 

HorSE liKE chOMp oN biG CARRotT

Pretty sure any salary gets prorated. Signing bonuses etc would not though.

8 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Pretty sure any salary gets prorated. Signing bonuses etc would not though.

I know while on an NHL roster your salary gets worked out by the day (not by the game)... I haven't read anything about these 2 (Boesers and Molinos) contracts so not sure about the details other than Brock is 1 year closer to FA and Molino will be FA at the end of this coming season.

Can anybody clear this up? 

edit: you're right JR 

Boesers numbers are up now. He got a $92,000 US signing bonus and the salary (max ELC) is pro rated so he's making about $15,000 US a day with $60,000 US left this season.

So about $150,000 USD to come here and play a few games to end the season...

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/brock-boeser

17 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

I know while on an NHL roster your salary gets worked out by the day (not by the game)... I haven't read anything about these 2 (Boesers and Molinos) contracts so not sure about the details other than Brock is 1 year closer to FA and Molino will be FA at the end of this coming season.

Can anybody clear this up? 

edit: you're right JR 

Boesers numbers are up now. He got a $92,000 US signing bonus and the salary (max ELC) is pro rated so he's making about $15,000 US a day with $60,000 US left this season.

So about $150,000 USD to come here and play a few games to end the season...

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/brock-boeser

Brock Boeser will be a free agent at age 27 whether he signed a contract starting this year or next as the rule states "any player who is at least 27 years old or has at least seven years of service as an NHL player, and whose contract has expired, will become an unrestricted free agent. On July 1 of each year the free agency period begins, and unrestricted free agents are free to negotiate and sign contracts with any team." Boeser is 20 so he will be 27 and 7 years of service at the same time.

1 hour ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

Looks like a wasted contract spot to me. You can rag on me for being negative but I really hope Benning and Molino prove me wrong. Not even top 100 in NCAA scoring though? I hope this kid has a real high compete level cause he's gonna need it 

They should have dropped you a line. You could have saved the Canucks a roster spot.

Archived