The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Griffen Molino | C/LW

stonecoldstevebernier

19 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

And just out of curiosity why are people like Patterson poking fun at Molino? I missed the game last night so can someone fill me in?

Thanks.

The tweets came before the game so I can only assume they were based on his stats and scouting report. (That he's 23 and didn't put up a ppg in college, billed as a two-way guy, so he's not an "exciting" prospect exactly.) Which is a shallow way to evaluate a player you've never seen play. He played a good game though, you can tell he's a great skater and he didn't look lost out there in terms of his positioning at all.

(The Tanner Glass shot also seems ironic to me because, well, Glass has played over 500 NHL games... that would be pretty solid for an undrafted college UFA.)

4 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

The only thing is, if he is part of our long term future, then someone is probably on their way out:

That's pretty much how it works when you are a rebuilding team with a GM who is good at spotting and acquiring talented young players. The team accumulates young prospects who compete for spots. Some make the team, while others move on.

17 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Gotta love Murph. I thought Molino showed good wheels and defensive awareness tonight, he even got a nice scoring chance and was noticeable in his debut.

HA! That's awesome. Good for him. 

My personal observation was Molino has more than just "good" speed. He was flying out there. And the way he back checked after that one chance and then prevented a scoring chance at the other end was something that any coach will stand up and notice, not to mention your teammates. 

Great awareness on the ice in all 3 zones. He was even banging his stick on the ice demanding a pass when he was in a prime scoring areas and available. That is great to see. More than anything, this team needs young players with confidence that aren't afraid to go out there and do what they know they can. 
Some may take a while longer to get there (ie: Goldy) but that will come with experience.

This kid looks ready. Only one game, but he is 23 so it's less likely that what we saw was just "adrenaline". 

4 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

The tweets came before the game so I can only assume they were based on his stats and scouting report. (That he's 23 and didn't put up a ppg in college, billed as a two-way guy, so he's not an "exciting" prospect exactly.) Which is a shallow way to evaluate a player you've never seen play. He played a good game though, you can tell he's a great skater and he didn't look lost out there in terms of his positioning at all.

(The Tanner Glass shot also seems ironic to me because, well, Glass has played over 500 NHL games... that would be pretty solid for an undrafted college UFA.)

So did these idiots have anything to say after the game?

Or were they busy hiding.....

:rolleyes:

18 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Gotta love Murph. I thought Molino showed good wheels and defensive awareness tonight, he even got a nice scoring chance and was noticeable in his debut.

Jeff Paterson is disgusting. The best thing that ever happened to him was when the radio station fired him. 

Here's hoping it happens again after they Canucks move on from their relationship with TSN radio. That'd be great.

5 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

Jeff Paterson is disgusting. The best thing that ever happened to him was when the radio station fired him. 

Here's hoping it happens again after they Canucks move on from their relationship with TSN radio. That'd be great.

Patterson puts the wart in anal wart. Who is he to be talking about a kid playing his first pro game. I Bet the slug hasnt even played competitive sports before. 

Just now, KKnight said:

Patterson puts the wart in anal wart. Who is he to be talking about a kid playing his first pro game. I Bet the slug hasnt even played competitive sports before. 

What I'm always left wondering about Paterson is, what the hell is he doing reporting on hockey exactly? I mean, he obviously doesn't like the game, the players or the local team. So why do what makes you miserable? Why not write about something you appreciate and respect?

58 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

So did these idiots have anything to say after the game?

Or were they busy hiding.....

:rolleyes:

No, they just sarcastically kept at it. It never ceases to amaze me how our media can be so negative about the smallest things and Paterson is one of the worst at it. The mantra lately is "play the kids" but it seems like that only applies to the flashy offensive kids. We need as diverse a prospect pool to be successful one day and a guy like Molino who can play a bottom six role better than others will be necessary if he can develop properly here. After all, Burrows and Hansen weren't exactly hot prospects in their youth but they became two of the most versatile players this organization has ever seen.

(Great points on your other post by the way!)

2 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

I think he can see the writing on the wall and knows that his next firing is inevitable so he's keeping himself relevant as an internet troll.

Molino with an impressive 1st game and looking like a young Hansen when he broke into the league. A no risk signing who could possibly replace another long shot speedy defensive player. Hard to argue with that.

3 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

No, they just sarcastically kept at it. It never ceases to amaze me how our media can be so negative about the smallest things and Paterson is one of the worst at it. The mantra lately is "play the kids" but it seems like that only applies to the flashy offensive kids. We need as diverse a prospect pool to be successful one day and a guy like Molino who can play a bottom six role better than others will be necessary if he can develop properly here. After all, Burrows and Hansen weren't exactly hot prospects in their youth but they became two of the most versatile players this organization has ever seen.

(Great points on your other post by the way!)

That's funny because the one game I saw Molino play, he looked aces above and beyond in development compared to a guy like Goldobin.

Not knocking Goldobin, but he's one of those kids that was maybe hampered by too much success too early. He was playing on a helluva team in the San Jose Barracuda with 86 points in 106 games. But the structure of the game intensifies at this level. 
He will come around I'm sure of it, but it might take a bit of time.

Molino on the other hand. I'm hoping what we saw was indicative of his overall skill/intelligence/willpower level, because if it is, the sky's really the limit. This teams future is WIDE OPEN right now and Benning is smart luring these NCAA free agents here because word will get around "hey you have an opportunity here, and look who we've already added...."

Boeser, Molino, Stecher, Tanev, ... and more in the pipe like Gaudette etc

I think Jimbo is swinging for the fences as much as he possibly can, and telling WD to get his ass in gear and get these kids an audition while the points don't matter, before next year when they will.
So over the summer he can flesh out a lineup with some of these kids that may have (hopefully) developed and/or shown some chemistry here over the last few weeks of the season.

This team sucks balls right now. But i don't think it will for long the way I see it shaping up. And you can bet your left nut that's something he's selling these college kids too. 

On 4/1/2017 at 2:53 AM, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Just people with puffed out chest absolutely and incorrectly certain of their own superiority.

He is found money. If he turns in to Tanner Glass on an entry level contract on the 4th line? Then this is a win.

Honestly, a couple Canucks Army guys find (in some cases lower level) jobs on NHL teams and the scrubs promoted over their heads to replace them think they are the second coming of Billy Beane and co. Compensating for lower intuition and intelligence with more sarcasm and snark.

21 hours ago, darkpoet said:

HA! That's awesome. Good for him. 

My personal observation was Molino has more than just "good" speed. He was flying out there. And the way he back checked after that one chance and then prevented a scoring chance at the other end was something that any coach will stand up and notice, not to mention your teammates. 

Great awareness on the ice in all 3 zones. He was even banging his stick on the ice demanding a pass when he was in a prime scoring areas and available. That is great to see. More than anything, this team needs young players with confidence that aren't afraid to go out there and do what they know they can. 
Some may take a while longer to get there (ie: Goldy) but that will come with experience.

This kid looks ready. Only one game, but he is 23 so it's less likely that what we saw was just "adrenaline". 

Ya I agree, love  what JB is doing bringing in lots of young talent to compete for jobs I think that will benefit us in the future and I love this guys compete level, like you said he was flying out there and well positioned in all 3 zones. Makes me excited for the future

20 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

Ya except for Donny Taylor, nows his chance to get back in the game and away from those TSN Idiots who most on the west coast don't respect with the exception of McKenzie

Just now, Sbriggs said:

Ya except for Donny Taylor, nows his chance to get back in the game and away from those TSN Idiots who most on the west coast don't respect with the exception of McKenzie

Donny has traditionally been a Sportnet guy though. I`d say there's a good chance he jumps ship to the new station. In fact I would expect them to try to lure him over a key part of the new station based on the old relationship.

Just now, Salmonberries said:

Donny has traditionally been a Sportnet guy though. I`d say there's a good chance he jumps ship to the new station. In fact I would expect them to try to lure him over a key part of the new station based on the old relationship.

I hope so, I think the only reason he left Sportsnet TV was he wouldn't move to Toronto and I agreed with him on that but working for TSN is like working for the enemy when it comes to the Canucks

5 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

I hope so, I think the only reason he left Sportsnet TV was he wouldn't move to Toronto and I agreed with him on that but working for TSN is like working for the enemy when it comes to the Canucks

Ideally I'd like Taylor and maybe Rintoul and B-Mac to move over there and then fill out the roster with some hockey expert talent of the sort we don't have locally from the prairies and eastern Canada.

Just now, Salmonberries said:

Ideally I'd like Taylor and maybe Rintoul and B-Mac to move over there and then fill out the roster with some hockey expert talent of the sort we don't have locally from the prairies and eastern Canada.

Well its the only local hockey guys we have, there is nothing on TV anymore for us to watch so our local radio is all we have, but ya Taylor, BMac and Rintoui as well as some others who are local would be nice.

Archived