The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Griffen Molino | C/LW

stonecoldstevebernier

17 hours ago, Stormriders said:

You have Chaput above Gaunce, . . . interesting.  So obviously Chaput is not protected for the ED.  Do you really think LV might take Chaput bf Gaunce?  NOT a chance.

To me Chaput proved that he can be a pretty good NHL fourth line center last year. I'm sure other teams saw what we saw including McPhee and his Vegas people so sure, I can see them going for Chaput if that's the way the cookie winds up crumbling. I don't see them having any interest in Guance, they have no emotional attachment to him as their first round pick and he didn't really define a role for himself with his play. He wasn't physical, didn't chip in at all on the offensive and he labors with his skating. To me he's behind guys like Cramarrosa, Molino, Boucher, and especially Chaput, both on our depth chart and as an expansion draft risk.

19 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

To me Chaput proved that he can be a pretty good NHL fourth line center last year. I'm sure other teams saw what we saw including McPhee and his Vegas people so sure, I can see them going for Chaput if that's the way the cookie winds up crumbling. I don't see them having any interest in Guance, they have no emotional attachment to him as their first round pick and he didn't really define a role for himself with his play. He wasn't physical, didn't chip in at all on the offensive and he labors with his skating. To me he's behind guys like Cramarrosa, Molino, Boucher, and especially Chaput, both on our depth chart and as an expansion draft risk.

Chaput has a better resume than Gaunce. But he is also older and had far more NHL experience. Which player has more upside? Still hard to tell but Gaunce has only 1 year of NHL and IMO he has more upside. Either one you choose has to show more next season.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Saw some quotes from Johnson about various prospects, he mentioned Molino, said he was learning how to be a pro, not sure what that meant although we did see similar comments with Jake at one point.  Not giving up on him yet, nice thing with having a team in Utica is that players have the time and opportunity to develop, no need to rush anyone.  He also commented on Goldy, said he's seeing lots of improvement in the details of his game so that's exciting news.  He wants it to be that when Goldy comes up to the bigs, he sticks.  I'll see if I can find the article as he mentioned one or two others as well.  

23 minutes ago, TonyStrecher said:

Is Molino getting decent minutes with decent linemates? I'm quite amazed to see no points and so few shots in the AHL after how good he looked with the Canucks in the few games he played last year.

I've barely noticed him in the few games I've watched. He's honestly been replaced on the depth chart by guys like MacEwen and D'Aoust. Which isn't a bad thing. Maybe Molino will turn it around by seasons end. He's certainly one of the better skaters.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like Molino has picked up his game since playing with Cassels. I was impressed by his speed last year when he played those final games with us. I figured he might be able to be a good 4th line energy guy who could be effective on the PK due to his speed.

I would still like to see him get a chance. Once the deadline passes I would assume the chances Vanek and Burmi are here are less than 50%. I would waive burmi as it seems like he does not have the coaches trust.

Molino seems like reliable defensive player, I wonder how much C he has played in Utica this year?

Archived