The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Las Vegas Expansion Mock Draft

swizzey

I find it interesting how neither Burnside, Custance, LeBrun, or McDonald have a Vancouver Canucks player picked in their mock Las Vegas Expansion draft. This Mock draft was drawn up March 28th.

The expansion draft will definitely take a toll on current strong rosters taking a 2/3F or 2D. One strong, but not elite, player makes a big difference on a team. As we continue our rebuild, other teams getting thinned out by one of these players help accelerate our process. 

Found the article interesting and hopeful with the Granlund/Baertschi/Sbisa/Gaunce situation.

Bright days ahead, stay strong CDC.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/19015985/nhl-vegas-golden-knights-mock-draft-based-players-left-unprotected-their-teams

7 minutes ago, hanzolo said:

Could somone clear things up for me? I thought Vegas picks one player from each team. If these mock drafts turned out legit, does Vegas just not pick from us?

i think the canucks still have to list guys to be drafted but these drafts are if vegas pick the minimum required drafted guys

15 minutes ago, hanzolo said:

Could somone clear things up for me? I thought Vegas picks one player from each team. If these mock drafts turned out legit, does Vegas just not pick from us?

That's what I thought too. If looks like it's 13 forwards, 7 defense and 3 goalies. Unlikely we'll lose a player in that scenario.

57 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

i think the canucks still have to list guys to be drafted but these drafts are if vegas pick the minimum required drafted guys

They do, but those mocks were representing the minimum 14 forwards, 9 defencemen, and 3 goalies. And the players listed on those three rosters are a hell of a lot better than the players Vancouver likely will expose, so consider the Canuck player in the AHL. 

It should be interesting to see what trades are made prior to the expansion draft as teams try to minimize their loss, and then again afterwards as teams try to replace the player they lost.  There should be a lot of trades going down.

42 minutes ago, Agoork said:

It should be interesting to see what trades are made prior to the expansion draft as teams try to minimize their loss, and then again afterwards as teams try to replace the player they lost.  There should be a lot of trades going down.

I'm interested to see the trades immediately after too. LV could take excess solid NHL forwards and D, and move the surplus for prospects and picks.

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Wild lose Brodin? I'd rather lose Scandella, if I had a choice. 

The Wild would prefer too but they can only protect 3Ds.

Suter (NMC) and Spurgeon are a given.  Protect Dumba and lose Brodin is the scenario here.

2 hours ago, hanzolo said:

Yes, Vegas must take 1 player and 1 player only from each of the 30 teams. In addition, they must draft the below minimum by position:

Expansion team must select the following number of players at each position:

Position #
Forwards 14
Defense 9
Goalies 3

https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft-faq

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Ouch that's a tough call. Why didn't they trade a D for a pick and prospect?

Because they need their Ds to contend.

They'll probably try and make a trade pre-expansion draft or maybe even find an arrangement with Vegas for them to take Scandella over Brodin/Dumba.  

Archived