The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick Elias announces retirement

Toews

I'll be very surprised if they don't retire his number sometime next season, he's basically been like one of Henrik and Daniel for them. Say what you want about those trapping Jersey teams, they certainly had some talent on em.

He had himself quite the career.

55 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

I have to imagine that New Jersey will retire his number at some point soon. He was perhaps one of the longest serving alternate captains of all-time.

18 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

3 cups.  1025 Regular season points and roughly .75 ppg in 162 playoff games (125 points)

All with 1 team.

After Brodeurs number gets retired, Elias should be directly behind him in the NJ rafters

Happening next season:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/31/sports/hockey/patrik-elias-retires-new-jersey-devils.html?_r=0

Devils fans will have the chance to see him lace up the skates one more time at Prudential Center, as he will take the pre-game skate in New Jersey’s home finale next Saturday.

A knee injury limited Elias to only 16 games last season, but he was considering making a comeback as recently as January before ultimately deciding he didn’t have it in him.

Elias:

“The reason was I wasn’t sure if I would be able to physically and, second of all, I probably wouldn’t be able to play to the level I wanted to,” he said. “I enjoyed being out there, I enjoyed going through practice and doing the work itself, but kind of didn’t see myself anymore going to the morning skates and evening games and traveling and all that.

“And once you don’t have it in your heart and start doubting if you do have it or not, I think that’s the time to sit back and just be honest if it’s worth it.”

Archived