The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie Taking Shots at Management

Adarsh Sant

So Willie Desjardins thinks that we should have kept Joseph Labate in the lineup, instead of sending him down.

“I really believe what you reward is what you become,” Desjardins said. “It was tough. I thought LaBate had a good game and we sent him down. He was one guy who played physical in that game and I think (utility man Alex) Biega was another guy who came to battle.”

“I think it’s tough (!) as a group when you don’t reward (LaBate’s effort),” he said. “It’s like we don’t value that.

Now I'm all for effort but seriously? He's basically saying "Benning doesn't value effort and he sent a guy down that we should have rewarded."

Lowkey taking shots at management for re-assigning Labate to Utica.

Again, effort is important but you don't reward an AHL player for playing a good game by putting him in the lineup over other players.

And as Botchford pointed out

Keep in mind this is the same guy who is playing BIEGA OVER GOLDOBIN. Biega, a D-man and Goldobin, an actual forward.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ed-willes-candid-willie-calls-out-the-canucks-talent

Here is link to full article*

Thoughts? Is he right?

Clearly WD is out of a job soon, and he knows it.  He's publicly pushing against JB.  Look at no Goldobin in tonight's game too!  This relationship between Willie and JB is actually getting ugly.  Maybe JB should have fired Willie a while ago?  

(In before a Mod says: TAGS). :o

Willie burning bridges over a AHLer is such a Willie thing to do.

Although I do like it when people critique Benning he often gets away with a lot of $&!#. Like building one of the worst teams in franchise history. But sending LaBate down to the minors is the least of Bennings issues as a GM.

The same guy that puts Chaput with the Sedins? His opinion on who should be playing should be taken with a big grain of salt.

It's pretty obvious coaches and management aren't on the same page. When Benning has to micromanage his coach, it's not a good formula.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

The same guy that puts Chaput with the Sedins? His opinion on who should be playing should be taken with a big grain of salt.

It's pretty obvious coaches and management aren't on the same page. When Benning has to micromanage his coach, it's not a good formula.

Why do you think JB didn't fire Willie a while ago?  

3 minutes ago, CeeBee51 said:

I guess if Willie liked him so much he could have given him Megnaminutes at least ;) 

LOL! Megnaminutes... 

Poor Willie... Honestly, I've decided not to blame Willie. I blame Jimbo and Trevor. 

1 minute ago, WTG said:

Although I do like it when people critique Benning he often gets away with a lot of $&!#. Like building one of the worst teams in franchise history. But sending LaBate down to the minors is the least of Bennings issues as a GM.

We see totally different teams. 

Or your 14 and dont have memory or knowledge of late 90's 70's 80's. 

24 minutes ago, WTG said:

terrible post.  Benning built this team?  No.  He is In the process of rebuilding, a train wreck of a team he inherited.

Just now, CanuckGAME said:

terrible post.  Benning built this team?  No.  He is I  the process of rebuilding, a train wreck of a team he inherited.

Bennng is directing the player decisions, and it's CLEARLY got Willie upset enough to blab to the press.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It's the same guy who blamed Tryamkin for not playing hard against Marchand when he didn't play Tryamkin against Marchand. 

That point of view was my first read of it as well, but I thought that the plan all along was to send those guys back to Utica. So my translation of what he said was something like "it was tough that we had already decided long before that we were going to send those guys down because we really want to create competition by rewarding effort". I mean, Utica needs help right now too.

1 minute ago, Emmetts said:

We see totally different teams. 

Or your 14 and dont have memory or knowledge of late 90's 70's 80's. 

This team this year is going on record for the lowest scoring canucks team ever.

1 minute ago, CanuckGAME said:

terrible post.  Benning built this team?  No.  He is I  the process of rebuilding, a train wreck of a team he inherited.

Never his fault is it? Always someone elses fault.

Archived