The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL/Olympics Petition

I would love to see best on best at the Olympics, but at the same time, when will the games be on?  I have no interest in watching hockey in the middle of the night, no matter who is playing.      

I understand the owners point of view,,,they get almost no benefit from shutting down the season.  Growing the game internationally is the job of the IIHF, not the NHL.  

6 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

1 - that's too logical

2 - scrapping the world cup would kill Bettman's plans for summer revenue

Never going to happen, unless Australia or South Africa hosts the winter games.

Ice hockey was part of the summer games in 1920. 

Vancouver 2010 was the only Olympic hockey tournament that I've really enjoyed (North American ice surface makes for much more exciting hockey and the atmosphere surrounding that tournament was incredible). The Salt Lake 2002 gold medal game was exciting but the rest of the tournament was held pretty stale. I'm fine with this decision. The NHL is a business and the Olympics takes away from that business. Not to mention the risk of injury to players who are integral to their NHL team's success (ex. Tavares). NHL success trumps Olympic success.

1 hour ago, jmfaminoff said:

So how does Canadian hockey benefit having our amateurs playing against KHL players, or the Swedish Elites? 

The same way Latvian players benefit from playing Crosby, Toews, and McDavid

5 hours ago, souprshooter said:

Hmmm... I think it's a little different in the NBA, since most All-Stars are players born in the United States. There is more diversity in the NHL, for example team Sweden, Russia, Finland, and of course Canada. All these teams have excellent talent, while in the NBA team USA is always the superpower. 

With that being said, Canada is usually really stacked compared to other teams lol.

For sure we've won three of five.  But two of the games we won it was some of the best battles with the US we've ever seen.  And the two losses showcased Haseks brilliance and the best collection of Swedes (including the Sedins) ever iced.  Canada goes their to win gold but by no means is it a foregone conclusion both Russia and the US have excellent teams right now.  To me it's a total disgrace that they won't let them go.  The games have always supposed to be the world's best athletes coming together for a tournament.  Spengler cup and world's.

It was always part of Bettmans plan to pull out  they could rake to in the dough with their silly rebooted Canada Cup instead of the IOC.

Both parties should be ashamed of themselves.  Their excuses are absolutely lame.  Schedule the season two or three weeks early to allow for Olympic years and a week off to recuperate.  Nobody is going to die if the shut it down for a bit.  

So disappointed it's going back to this....Hope Ovechkin leads a huge group that goes anyways and it's a huge FU to the league.

2 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

Ovi, already said he doesnt care what anyone says he's going, so hopefully more players follow the same route.

And Leonosis publicly supports him ( which suggests no a owners are on the same page).  The NHLPA should tell them to go screw themselves and as a group go against them.   Every Olympics has had a story line and provided excellent hockey, way better than most playoff series since 1998 .... Something special to look forward to every four years has just been caboshed.  I really hate Bettman right now, just when I was starting to begrudgingly give him his dues too.  Its time he rode off into his Desert sunset and stopped screwing the fans over.

Ovechkins response is the best, actually had a great laugh, just the way he says "I don't care, I just go".

“I didn’t change my mind and I won’t,” said Ovechkin, the Washington Capitals captain who’s still chasing a first Olympic medal. “It’s the biggest opportunity in your life to play in the Olympic Games. Somebody going to tell me I don’t go, I don’t care, I just go.”

Its about business, why on earth would Earls shut down for a couple months and let their best chefs go work at Moxys for a few weeks out the year? 

On a personal note, the Olympics are about amateurs in every other sport, it's not a showcase for the best professionals, that's what the NHL is for. 

I'm puzzled. The owners have decreed that your love for your country of birth, and desire to play to represent your people has to take a back seat to playing for your team!  This is truly sad.  How could any supporter of a team, listening to their national anthem, with their hand on their heart believe that any player who wished to represent that country at the Olympics should not go, as the team is above their country in importance.  This is so wrong.

On 2017-04-04 at 8:56 AM, S'all Good Man said:

A idea that might work is if someone can figure out a way to convince fans next season not to buy a team jersey, just recycle your old one. It would be a silent protest but one that hits the pocketbooks directly #recycleyourjersey ? or something like that. 

I doubt this would work. Too many fans and there's already evidence that some fans are for this decision by the NHL. Jersey's aren't the end all of sales either.

• 1 month later...

Darren Dreger‏Verified account @DarrenDreger  2h2 hours ago

Fasel says the NHL has a unique opportunity to grow its brand globally. "I don't understand". "If money is the issue, he should say."

More Fasel on NHL not going to Olys.: "if Gary doesn't go, the fans won't be happy, players won't be happy, the whole world won't be happy."

.@LauraDiakun given 1st question and asks Fasel why he remains confident NHL will participate in 2018 Olympics. "I never give up."

.@LauraDiakun Fasel also responded to suggestion NHL says it's too late. "It's never too late".

If anything the World Cup is the joke. It's a money grab by the NHL, and has nothing to do with hockey. The Canada Cup was popular because we couldn't send out best against the best in the Olympics. I'd rather have the NHL players in the Olympics every four years. Basically before the allowing of professionals all the best Russian players were in the "Russian Army". That way they kept amateur status, but were actually pros versus college, and junior players. That's why the Miracle on Ice was a big deal. A bunch of US college players beat pros. 

If the odds aren't even what's the point? I know there's a lot of corruption in the Olympics. There's a lot of corruption in the World Cup (Soccer) too. It's still a great event. 

I didn't even watch the last World Cup, because of the goofy format the NHL made. 

Archived