The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL/Olympics Petition

On 4/4/2017 at 8:49 AM, lmm said:

never liked pros in the Olympics. I'd like to see the best Jrs go.

Don't like the compressed schedule.

Happy with this decision.

Thank you, completely agree.

Olympics compromise NHL players due to potential injury. I enjoy hockey as a fan, enjoy the NHL first and foremost. I dislike stopping the season to promote an International tournament and as a fan am very happy to see the NHL right now not going.

I understand the business and " growing the game " aspect that many complain the NHL is disregarding, but no. Leave the Olympics to the non-professionals to play in. Completely bigger story when you see underdog players or amateurs fighting for Gold. 

I don't get the sentiment that NHL fans should petition, I get the players being unhappy but come on, your a union and working fulltime in the top League in the World, there is World Cup obligations and Allstar games already which the ladder I would hope more importance is placed on as it can be a great event.

On 2017-04-04 at 1:16 PM, jmfaminoff said:

So how does Canadian hockey benefit having our amateurs playing against KHL players, or the Swedish Elites? 

It would be all the more sweeter when we beat them all anyways? 

In some ways, having that underdog label, a rare occurrence, might be refreshing to cheer for. I want the NHL players to participate again, and they probably will. But I'd be fine with a one-off

But really, they should not be allowing ANY professionals if the NHL is not going. But then the slippery slope of who is a 'professional' and who is not. Each country has there own definition. I wouldn't trust Russia at all.

I'd be ok if they just realigned the World Junior tournament into the Olympics that year. That would be the simplest. Make it an age requirement as opposed to a professional/nonprofessional criteria. Nineteen and younger, whether they have played an NHL game or not.

It would be an exciting young fast tournament. Oh right....Ovechkin will have to get some fake ID.

On 2017-4-4 at 9:37 PM, TNucks1 said:

Ovi, already said he doesnt care what anyone says he's going, so hopefully more players follow the same route.

I know he says that, but he won't be satisfied if he wins because he will know that he wasn't playing against the best in the world. Not enough NHLers will rebel and go to make it a best on best scenario. 

On 4/4/2017 at 5:57 PM, Kevin Biestra said:

I don't know how on earth you haven't enjoyed the last 20 years of Olympic hockey.  I am not looking forward to going back to the old days.

Great why not go further back to even older days and make the NHL go back to 6 teams. Hey old days right? 

On 4/4/2017 at 5:49 PM, lmm said:

never liked pros in the Olympics. I'd like to see the best Jrs go.

Don't like the compressed schedule.

Happy with this decision.

Except if the games were in the US, Europe or Canada the NHL would gladly participate in the Olympics

Archived