The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Game against Arizona most important game of the season!?

Watermelon

27 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Last year our little sweep of California was the difference between us drafting Juolevi and Laine or Matthews.

Of course there's luck involved, it's a lottery. But you're being naive if you think it doesn't make a difference. It improves our chances of getting the better players.

Sure but its not worth setting your hair on fire over if we win the game. Regardless of the outcome we're getting a good player in the draft. 

The lotto is set up, like anything Bettman touches, to disappoint almost everyone. 

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

This game for us is our playoffs.....  huge game...

To ensure the tank do we put Chaput back with hank or Danny  or do we stick AHL er  Megna on the top line. 

So many options this year with our team to tank......  

So many coaching decsions.. so much drama.....   So excited to watch this game....

Just tell Willie to coach like he is trying to win.

1 minute ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Watch us lose the game and end up in 2nd last only for Phoniex to win the lottery.... Then we will all be that could have been us and blah blah blah if we didn't lose the game on purpose

Just like losing to Winnipeg helped them get Laine and letting Columbus pass us helped them get Dubois.

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Because of the NHL lottery draw I can't believe how overrated by the fans going down 1 spot in the standings is. It doesn't make a big difference so why hoping the Canucks to lose?

Umm, probably because the W means even less? It's all just scraps at this point. From my understanding of various posts, most of the fans that want the Canucks to lose that game still want our young guys to do well in the game. Something like Boeser, Goldobin, Horvat, Baertschi, Molino, Hutton, Stetcher scoring with Tryamkin destroying somebody and an L would be ideal. As for the vets' feelings, well, one could make a good argument if they had been playing to the level that they could, the Canucks wouldn't be in this position.

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Because of the NHL lottery draw I can't believe how overrated by the fans going down 1 spot in the standings is. It doesn't make a big difference so why hoping the Canucks to lose?

It does make a difference:

30th has a 17.9% chance at 1st pick, and 48% in the top 3
29th has a 12.1% chance at 1st pick, and 35.3% in the top 3
28th has a 10.3% chance at 1st pick, and 30.7% in the top 3
Vegas Golden Knights have a 10.3% chance at 1st pick, and 30.7% in the top 3
27th has a 8.5% chance at 1st pick, and 26% in the top 3

1 hour ago, Darius71 said:

Tanking like champs!

as a side note: I watched the ducks spank the lames last night.  Flipping back and forth between the Canucks and the Ducks made me realize how far away this team is.  Ducks make 2 or 3 quick passes and the puck is in transition out of the zone.  D men actually win board battles and dont try and ring it out around the boards out of desperation.  Anaheims top line usually doesnt dump it in, and if they do they put it in a spot where they have a good chance of getting it back...unlike watching the Canucks line after line just hand over possession.  The other big thing is tape to tape passes from the D to the forwards on the fly, or the ability of the D to join in and create havoc from the point.  Big difference from watching Sbisa and Edler waffle waffle waffle. And as a bonus they pushed around the flames when the going got dirty.  

standings.JPG

I would rate last nights passing as far below NHL level on the average especially on the transition.  Good call there.  Pucks to skates constantly.

whats even worse is the transition never seemed to have consistent "problems".....it was either short rushed passes into skates or long no hopers to a forward standing still at the blue line.

fubar.

and I give molino credit for his heart but imo he hasn't the size we need going forward . Brendan Dillon owned him last night and in and though we are years from the list season, a guy like that wouldn't last a series with his health.  All that and Dillon isn't even a top dman.

I'm just waiting for news of Miller/ Sven/ Stecher/ Horvat going down with the mumps or something just to up the team's odds.  Any time, Willie.

Real talk, even if we don't get #2 and pick Hischier I'd be very happy with either Mittlestadt or Vilardi (at this point I could see Nolan Patrick having a Seth Jones-type small slide down the draft rankings), so in reality I don't think that the Coyotes game would have as much of a bearing as is being discussed since Edmonton will probably whip us anyways.

8 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I would rate last nights passing as far below NHL level on the average especially on the transition.  Good call there.  Pucks to skates constantly.

whats even worse is the transition never seemed to have consistent "problems".....it was either short rushed passes into skates or long no hopers to a forward standing still at the blue line.

fubar.

Exactly.  Other than Stecher, and maybe Hutton, this team generates 0 from the back end (other than when Tanev scores like a 40 year old virgin).  I saw the forwards get possession a few times, pass the puck back to the point to Sbisa and ...the play...died.,....  Either he shoots it off of someone's ankles, cant hold the puck in the blue line, or he just makes a bad panic pass.

Hopefully Juolevi is part of the solution, I cant see him in the lineup for  at least another year though.

Are some people thinking LOTTERY as in every team has the same chance? At this point a small % edge I will be grateful for. Like counting cards at the Blackjack table, taping your hockey stick with black rather than white tape, or maybe just wearing your "lucky socks". Yes, we got screwed last year, but it is a small sample size. Follow the probabilities and they will begin align over the course of time. Hoping to be due for a little luck in not only the order of selection but more importantly THE selection (as recent history is causing a s&#t storm of a controversy over; patience/bust/lowered expectations vs other options). Hoping we max the opportunity even though the goods may not be of a "generational" quality. Overdue for a little fortune, we are.

Right now we are tied with Vegas for 3rd, so may aswell call us 4th since the hockey gods are never kind. If we leap frog Phoenix 

29th has a 12.1% chance at 1st pick, and 35.3% in the top 3
28th has a 10.3% chance at 1st pick, and 30.7% in the top 3

Our chance of 1st increases by 1.8% and top 3 pick by 4.6%, now it does seem small but it still means a lot!

More excited for the guaranteed pick in the top 5 if we finish second last, and also the second rounder at 33 sounds a lot better than 35 for some reason.

This could be our pick order if we finish 29th.

Round 1:
Top 5

31 (SJ Maybe)

Round 2:

59 (CBJ Maybe)

Round 3:

Round 4:

115 (SJ Maybe)

Round 5:

126 (Traded)
Round 6:

157 (Traded)