The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Game against Arizona most important game of the season!?

Watermelon

15 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

There is a huge, MASSIVE difference in playing youth and experimenting down the stretch when out of the playoffs and intentionally "tanking" a season by filling a roster full of garbage players and trying to purposely lose.  This whole thing is silly -- no way is any coach going to put out bad players just to lose, and players are not going to play badly to lose, simply to get a couple more magic beans in a lottery so the entire argument is essentially meaningless.  This isn't 1984.

As soon as you mentioned the word "season", clearly, you read my post (and a few others) wrong. We're not talking about "season". The title of the thread is "Arizona".

22 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Answer this:  what if we had actually beaten Winnipeg in March instead of losing to them?  We'd have gotten Laine.  Hindsight is pointless.

This year is not hindsight it has yet to happen.  :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, Derp... said:

More excited for the guaranteed pick in the top 5 if we finish second last, and also the second rounder at 33 sounds a lot better than 35 for some reason.

This could be our pick order if we finish 29th.

Round 1:
Top 5

31 (SJ Maybe)

Round 2:

59 (CBJ Maybe)

Round 3:

Round 4:

115 (SJ Maybe)

Round 5:

126 (Traded)
Round 6:

157 (Traded)

Round 7:

Thats not bad. Most likely it will be 1-5, 33, 59, 64, 95, 115, 188.

Crazy to think Jannik Hansen went 287th and he might turn into two 1st round picks. 

Everywhere I've seen shows that the 3rd last team shares the same odds with Las Vegas rather than simply being bumped by them. It also shows lower odds than last year's lottery.

Last year #1 had a 20% chance of winning first, #2 had 13.5%, and #3 had 11.5%.

This year, #1 has ~18% chance, #2 has ~12% chance, and #3 (LV) and #4 (3rd in standings) each have a 10.3% chance.

One source: http://nhllotterysimulator.com/

I want clarification on these odds. Does anyone know them?

I fully expect us to sewer our pick and win 3 in a row like last year when we lost matthews after a magical 3 in a row wins in cali... 

Regardless, there's no Matthews or Laine in this draft is there? 

1 hour ago, c00kies said:

Everywhere I've seen shows that the 3rd last team shares the same odds with Las Vegas rather than simply being bumped by them. It also shows lower odds than last year's lottery.

This year, #1 has ~18% chance, #2 has ~12% chance, and #3 (LV) and #4 (3rd in standings) each have a 10.3% chance.

3rd Last shares the same odds as Vegas yes, but in the event neither wins the lottery, I believe Vegas picks first. Vegas also picks 3rd in every round after the 1st round, so third last is in effect, bumped by Vegas. 

18 minutes ago, Frogger009 said:

3rd Last shares the same odds as Vegas yes, but in the event neither wins the lottery, I believe Vegas picks first. Vegas also picks 3rd in every round after the 1st round, so third last is in effect, bumped by Vegas. 

That makes sense. I think the other team should get 3rd for every pick after the first round if Vegas gets 3rd for the first round, but of course Bettman wouldn't think like that.

Thanks for the clarification :)

2 hours ago, appleboy said:

This year is not hindsight it has yet to happen.  :rolleyes:

It was YOU who brought up Matthews -- same draft.  Please answer the question.

2 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

As soon as you mentioned the word "season", clearly, you read my post (and a few others) wrong. We're not talking about "season". The title of the thread is "Arizona".

No, it's you who somehow assumed I advocate seeking to win three meaningless games, when I have never done any such thing.  The problem is people equivocating terms like "tanking" to mean losing three games.

16 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

I'm actually hoping we beat the Coiilers at least one of the 2 games and screw them out of 1st in the Pacific. Being a Nucks fan in Oiltown sucks right about now lol.

It may happen, as the Coilers will be resting their best players for the playoffs, so they'll be easy to beat.

Love your sig, btw.

1 hour ago, apollo said:

I fully expect us to sewer our pick and win 3 in a row like last year when we lost matthews after a magical 3 in a row wins in cali... 

Regardless, there's no Matthews or Laine in this draft is there? 

No but on the bright side Juolevi is considered a better prospect than anyone in this year's draft.

19 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

No, it's you who somehow assumed I advocate seeking to win three meaningless games, when I have never done any such thing.  The problem is people equivocating terms like "tanking" to mean losing three games.

Goodness. You're having English comprehension issues again - where did I say you advocated seeking to win 3 meaningless games. On the other hand, Hutton responded to my post with: "It's all a crapshoot, and to claim the necessity of getting a 2% better chance when in the meantime you potentially damage or ruin the development of players and the team because of such mentality is horribly simple-minded and short-sighted, not to mention disrespectful to the integrity of the sport itself." So tell me - how can you be talking about 3 meaningless games and potentially damaging development of players in the same sentence?

6 hours ago, westvandude said:

According to this non-subjective analysis, there is 26% chance this happens.. (nothing is) guaranteed! (except the spelling of "guaranteed")

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHLlottery.html

Vancouver plays Arizona next and if we lose we will have the 2nd oa pick, at least until the lottery which has not been kind to us.

Vancouver plays Arizona and Edmonton twice

Arizona plays us and Minnesota

Devils play the Pens,Wings, and Islanders.

Our next game will likely decide where we fall as there's a good chance none of these 3 teams will win any more games

I will admit I am a crappy speller.........

But the quote was "none of these teams will win any more games" Yet, Vancouver plays Arizona....where one will win! Hence my statement!....You go back and read it.......then you will understand it! Again, I say! There is no chance......"none of them will win a game", because someone will iwin n the Van - Arz game.

i do have to admit, that i selfishly cheered for the nux to win last year at the end when they swept cali.......i needed those wins to lift me up but i didnt really know how great Mathews or Laine would be if we had somehow landed a top 2 pick....so i figured i would just cheer for my team as i usually always do and leave the picks and odds up to the gods.....

hindsight: i wish we had have lost and dropped to give us better odds.

so this year, im with team tank...for these last few games.....let our kids score lots but in regulation losses.

11 hours ago, c00kies said:

The odds haven't been confirmed yet.  The only thing that is known is that Vegas gets the same odds as 3rd overall.  There are 1000 number combinations to be distributed if they stay with the approach of 4 correct numbers out of 14.  

All they did was add in Vegas and re-adjust proportionally so that the total of all odds is 100%.  Mathematically it's (last year's odds) ÷ 1.105.

Archived