The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Junos head apologizes for 'off-script remarks' about women by Russell Peters

prix57

The president of the Junos is apologizing for "off-script remarks" Russell Peters made about young women in the crowd and Heritage Minister Mélanie Joly while hosting the awards show.

Allan Reid, who heads up the Juno Awards, CARAS and MusiCounts, released a statement Tuesday saying his organizations did not support Peters' comments he made while hosting Sunday's show with Bryan Adams. According to Reid, the lines weren't in the script, but were ad-libbed by Peters.

"This incident is not reflective of any views held in our organization," Reid said.

"CARAS and our charitable arm MusiCounts conduct significant efforts to engage and support women, particularly funding initiatives for girls in school and community music programs. While we understand that there is still a lot of work to be done in these areas, we firmly believe the first step is empowering females."

Peters' remark about Heritage Minister Mélanie Joly (right) were made just before she and singer Coleman Hell (centre) presented Breakthrough Artist of the Year to Ruth B. (Sean Kilpatrick/Canadian Press)

Peters opened the show by pointing out the number of young women in the crowd and called it a "felony waiting to happen." Later, while Adams was introducing Joly as a presenter, Peters chimed in: "I don't know why, but she's hot, so who cares?"

Shortly after that, Joly was asked about Peters' remark in the press room but brushed it off. On Monday, she called it inappropriate while speaking outside the House of Commons.

"We need to make sure that all our role models are supporting the importance of gender parity," Joly said. "I really hope that he takes that into consideration and understands ... the importance of what he said."

Peters has yet to publicly address the criticism — though he has "liked" a handful of tweets that defended his words.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/juno-awards-russell-peters-1.4055513

So I guess comedians now can no longer make jokes as the general public have no sense of humor?

I am pretty sure whomever booked him to do the job has seen his stand up and was aware of what they were getting.

Nowadays it seems everyone has to apologize for anything that may have slightly offended anyone, no one can take a joke anymore...

41 minutes ago, prix57 said:

So I guess comedians now can no longer make jokes as the general public have no sense of humor?

Knowing Peters, I do not expect him to apologize (nor should he).

There was a "round table" discussion with a number of comedians, one where he and Bill Burr were apart of. Burr said, which Peters was first to agree, that if people are too stupid to understand that what they are saying is a joke and not to be taken with any shred of seriousness, then those are the people that are left alone at parties because they are a bummer to hang around with.

Jokes people. And anyone who looks to comedians/entertainers as "role models" are out of their minds.

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

Knowing Peters, I do not expect him to apologize (nor should he).

There was a "round table" discussion with a number of comedians, one where he and Bill Burr were apart of. Burr said, which Peters was first to agree, that if people are too stupid to understand that what they are saying is a joke and not to be taken with any shred of seriousness, then those are that are left alone at parties because they are a bummer to hang around with.

Jokes people. And anyone who looks to comedians/entertainers as "role models" are out of their minds.

bill burr is my all time favourite

19 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

IT WAS A JOKE.  HE IS A SHOCK COMEDIAN.

Alf doen't understand the joke.  Please explain.  He called the girl coming on stage beautiful, and she is, right?  Where is the joke?  He's simply stating a fact.  I see no issue with what the guy said, regardless is intended as humor or not.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Alf doen't understand the joke.  Please explain.  He called the girl coming on stage beautiful, and she is, right?  Where is the joke?  He's simply stating a fact.  I see no issue with what the guy said, regardless is intended as humor or not.  

Why do you insist on this whole village idiot third person schtick? 

Another politician that doesn't get the world we live in. If she just came out instead and said "Hey, it's a joke and that's what comedians do" she would score far more political points than playing the victim. 

hrmm, missed the part where he went after underaged girls. That's not cool but that should only reflect poorly on him. 

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

There's a difference between 'hot' and 'beautiful', Alfie. Ask most women and they'll tell you that there is a difference. It's unfortunate that a lot of men do not understand the difference. He called her 'hot', not 'beautiful'.

*********************************************************************************

In for a penny, in for a pound for the rest of you male posters responding ........

I did not find the 'jokes' particularly amusing at all. In fact, you can count me in as one of those not impressed by Peters' comments. So if one reacts negatively and honestly to anything, they're full of 'faux rage' and if they fake a negative reaction, it's 'faux rage'.......hmmm, so any reaction not positive is 'faux rage'...... is that what I'm hearing? I'd like to tell y'all where to put your 'faux rage' but being suspended is not in my plans for the day. *waits for the 'faux rage to erupt*

Every time I think the male gender is becoming more enlightened, along come some who flush that idea right down the toilet.

:picard:

I hope Peters is not forced to apologize and stands his ground as this is what his profession is all about.

It seems every year people keep getting more and more thin skinned the slightest comment will be offensive...

25 minutes ago, prix57 said:

I hope Peters is not forced to apologize and stands his ground as this is what his profession is all about.

It seems every year people keep getting more and more thin skinned the slightest comment will be offensive...

The thing is.....when you go to a Russell Peters show, you know what you're in for and you know what to expect. Your choice not to go if you don't want to be offended by his comedy. This was a public awards show which was being televised...and televised for all age groups. Why should I have to explain those comments to a 10 year old girl who happens to be watching with me? It all comes back to what girls/women are exposed to on a daily basis and the message it sends. It's no wonder that women tend to react seemingly 'out of proportion' (according to men) when such comments are made in a public setting where all ages can be expected to be watching and listening.

The Junos committee hired him and as such, are put in the unfortunate position of having to apologize for his comments. The Junos was not the time or place for them to be made. Never mind being made at all.

I love Russell Peters, but have to disagree.  There is shock and then there is off limits (children).   Underage girls are off limits in any suggestive monologue, comedic or not.  Children around the world are exploited and it's no laughing matter. 

I generally find him fairly hilarious, but there are some places you just don't go.  Underage is one of them.  Creepy.

Russell Peters is one of the cheesiest comedians out there. His jokes are telegraphed from a mile away. The Junos is some desperate bid for relevance thought that asking this tired cliché to host was a good idea. What they got was a comedian whose time is nearly up, and who is doing whatever desperate move he can to maintain relevance. It was a bad idea to hire him in the first place.

18 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

There's a difference between 'hot' and 'beautiful', Alfie. Ask most women and they'll tell you that there is a difference. It's unfortunate that a lot of men do not understand the difference. He called her 'hot', not 'beautiful'.

*********************************************************************************

In for a penny, in for a pound for the rest of you male posters responding ........

I did not find the 'jokes' particularly amusing at all. In fact, you can count me in as one of those not impressed by Peters' comments. So if one reacts negatively and honestly to anything, they're full of 'faux rage' and if they fake a negative reaction, it's 'faux rage'.......hmmm, so any reaction not positive is 'faux rage'...... is that what I'm hearing? I'd like to tell y'all where to put your 'faux rage' but being suspended is not in my plans for the day. *waits for the 'faux rage to erupt*

Every time I think the male gender is becoming more enlightened, along come some who flush that idea right down the toilet.

:picard:

Well, this poster is pretending to be a space alien from an 80's television show, so looking for enlightenment with them is a fool's errand.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The Junos is some desperate bid for relevance thought that asking this tired cliché to host was a good idea. Great job, Junos.

I mean, it is the Junos (see: Canadian). Not sure Aziz Ansari, John Mulaney, Chris Rock, or any other comedian who isn't Canadian was on their list of people who were realistic options. 

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Russell Peters is one of the cheesiest comedians out there. His jokes are telegraphed from a mile away. The Junos is some desperate bid for relevance thought that asking this tired cliché to host was a good idea. What they got was a comedian whose time is nearly up, and who is doing whatever desperate move he can to maintain relevance. It was a bad idea to hire him in the first place.

In reading this, I have to say it probably nails it.  He's trying (too hard) to stay relevant.  I loved the stuff he did about his Dad, etc. in the past, but he recycled that for SOO long then went quiet.  I have to say, if this is the direction he's taken, it's time to pack it in.  Not funny (at all).

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

I mean, it is the Junos (see: Canadian). Not sure Aziz Ansari, John Mulaney, Chris Rock, or any other comedian who isn't Canadian was on their list of people who were realistic options. 

There are plenty of Canadian entertainers who would have been a better option than a washed up comedian like Peters. He's basically rehashed/rewritten every joke he wrote in Outsourced a million times.

Archived