The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] If we move this guy, Canucks could bounce right back into 2017/18 playoff conversation

Lots of chatter on team1040 this morning about trying to trade the Sedins or perhaps they'll retire this offseason.  It's not going to happen and as a long standing loyal Canuck fan I wouldn't want it to happen.  I see them finishing out their final year of their contract and retiring as Canucks at the end of next season.  I want them back as 2nd line, 2nd PP players next season.  Yes $7m per is a lot of dough for what they're producing BUT they earned those contracts and I believe they'll be so important to the continued development for Bo, Sven, Brock, Goldobin, Virtanen (I think Jake is on the team next year) and others.

Have any of you thought of you'll be full timers for the Canucks in 2017/18 at every position?  It's becoming increasingly difficult to predict who will or won't be on the team.  Let's take the draft and any potential trade or UFA signings off the table for now.  Let us look...

Sven Bo Granlund

Daniel Hank Boeser

Eriksson Sutter Virtanen 

Boucher Cramarossa Dorsett

*Goldobin Van or Utica?

*Skille gone?

*Megna in Utica?

*Rodin gone

*Gaunce?

*Chaput split Van/Utica if resigns?

Goldobin needs top 6 spot to flourish but is there any opening there next season?  Currently I don't think so but I like his future.  Who gets nabbed by Las Vegas?  Could this open up a spot?  Maybe I'm alone on thinking Virtanen sticks next year but I think so.  Canucks definitely could use his size/speed combo.  Let's hope he has a great summer.

Here's where I believe trader Jim needs to pull of his greatest task yet; on the blueline and there's one name in particular.  Edler (30 yrs old) and has 2 more seasons at $5M per with a NTC.  Tanev is 27 and has 3 years left at $4.45M per. Other than Sbisa 27 years old, rest of our Dmen are young (25- younger).

Our right side as I see it goes Tanev, Gudbranson (I think we resign him and we should, horse back there) and Stecher.  It's on our left side where it gets a bit muddy.  Edler, Hutton, Sbisa, Tryamkin (should be playing left side, his strong side).  Juolevi is another lefty on his way as are most of are D prospects coming up.  Only Windsors Jalen Chatfield is a righty (he looked good in my opinion rushing and distributing the puck, solid skater).

Trader Jim has made it be known that he'd like to move a Dman for a younger scoring forward.  I believe there are 2 scenarios which could happen.  Only Tanev, Hutton, Stecher, Juolevi or maybe a sign and trade of Gudbranson will get you this young forward.  Personally I don't see us moving any of Tanev, Stecher or Gudbranson.  Now to our left side.  Only Hutton or Juolevi can get you this young scoring forward.  I could see us moving Juolevi for a 21-23 year old F.  I think we've seen already that ownership and management want to speed up this rebuild from previous trades and it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see this trend continue.  If the Canucks were to do something like this, we could use our 1st pick (likely 3-6 ocerall on the best D available.  Why would we do this?  Well we add that needed piece up front in an age bracket where he's already gone through most if not all of his development and is contributing right away.  Also there's no guarantee that Juolevi will be up with the Canucks next year.  If we add a D in the first round, he too won't be with the club for a few years most likely, ya never know.

But here is where Jim could really make hay....by getting Edler to waive that NTC.  I like him, have always liked him but if you're ever going to cash in on him, it's right now and ASAP.  Sure his return might not get you a huge haul BUT he's under control for 2 more seasons at a respectable $5M per. We have left handed Dmen ready to play and enough current depth to fill in.  Edler has had a tough season in my opinion.  Give Tryamkin some bigger minutes on the left side.

Hutton Tanev

Tryamkin Gudbranson 

Sbisa Stecher

Is our D core any weaker?  I don't think so.

I know it's been a difficult season but I'm still very engaged as a fan. Which kid via draft or trade is going to be part of our new core?  This offseason has plenty of unfinished business.

Would Benning getting Edler to move on be good in your opinion?

Is Goldobin a full time NHLer next year?  Virtanen?

Would you consider moving Juolevi via trade for a younger scoring forward?  Yes I think it makes sense.

We know it's Patrick and Hischer #1 and #2, who are we taking at #3-#5?  The top 2 Dmen available are RH shot, that's big.  Or is it Villardi or Middlestadt?

Can't wait to find out.

C'mon Danny and Hank, bounce back 2017/18, you too Loui.

Go Canucks.  Actually Go Sharks!

Love Trader Jim.

Tanev will garner the most return, Edler won't be missed much.  Yes our defense WILL suffer, but with our timeline of suckage set to be a mimunim of 2 years in to 2019's draft I am ok with it.  2 very very strong top 10's coming up in 2018 and 2019.  I am ok with that

Using the lines given in the OP, IMO Granny could move down to make room for Goldy (whether he bumps Boeser up to 1st or not would remain to be seen).  While I like the guy, I don't see Granny as a first liner at this point, and I suspect he is only in the top line above due to playing with Bo and Baer for much of the year.  It can be tough to break up something that works, but there just aren't enough goals coming from that top line.

I don't know about the prediction in the title.  I think more depends on additions or improvements in the forwards, especially on the PP.  I don't think OJ would get enough of a return to make a difference.  If Jim's hope of moving a D for some offense, I would think it has to be Tanev going out to make enough of an impact.  If Virtanen and Goldy pick things up enough that they can stick with the team, maybe package Granlund and Tanev for something really tasty out there?  Just moving one D piece, whether Edler or Tanev won't be enough, IMO.

And, thinking more about it... getting a good point shot would go a long ways, too.  Don't know enough about him whether OJ is that guy or not, but it would sure be nice if he was.

GCG.  Is it next year yet?

What if the Sedins do call it a career? With the upcoming draft do you think Aquilini/ Benning would go to the Sedins and see if they are open to the idea of retiring? Gives us 14 million in cap space, allows us to protect 2 more forwards for the expansion. Gives the young guns more ice time.

I would rather trade Edler now and get whatever we can, Tanev is still entering his prime and in 1-2 years could be worth more. 

4 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

What if the Sedins do call it a career? With the upcoming draft do you think Aquilini/ Benning would go to the Sedins and see if they are open to the idea of retiring? Gives us 14 million in cap space, allows us to protect 2 more forwards for the expansion. Gives the young guns more ice time.

I would rather trade Edler now and get whatever we can, Tanev is still entering his prime and in 1-2 years could be worth more. 

Doesn't look like this season was alot of fun for Hank or Danny....

Next season will be the same.

Pretty crappy way to end their amazing careers.........

Archived